cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Who believes DOW's 2,112.98 rally today will hold?

@DJANG0 wrote:

Yep, looks like we're off to the races.

(A pun for Gabe)

Absolutely!

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I figured that yesterday (Tues) was the day that pre-priced stimulus in and sold a few positions accordingly. Hoping we stay around yesterday's close at the very least though. Just no telling with this market. Had today (Weds) been a big up day, I might've sold at least one more position. Planning my next round of low ball limit orders.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

With so few believing a market bottom was made, and they're anxiously waiting, money in hand, to take advantage of another drop to "jump in", we might have found a bottom after all. Who knows .... the real question is do you need to act on the actual bottom to take advantage of opportunity? <no>

Highlighted
Participant ○

DOW futures down 194 this AM.  Not good.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Implied DJIA open -0.17% @ 7:55 EST

Likely, repositioning going on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

It is a terrible thing to only be able to view the world thru TDS glasses. It is simply amazing how so many amateurs have the answers to all things Trump.

He is doing well with 60% approval of handling of CV.

@Saratoga wrote:

Today's rally was a great opportunity to sell equities - that I could not use since I was mostly out of equities.  It is hard to believe that the rally can be sustained when we have so much grim uncertainty ahead of us.   If we get even a glimmer of hopeful news in the next two, three weeks, maybe.   I am praying that Trump does not make another terrible mistake and drag the country down with him.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Pattern of lower lows continues, but if one connects the lows, that curve is looking like a rounded bottom. Unusually, Nasdaq Comp is acting the strongest. These are signs of improvement, not of a final bottom.   https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=$SPX&compare=$COMPQ,$INDU,$TRAN,MDY&id=p34647693428

Elsewhere, I have noted that some death-crosses have formed [DJIA, DJ Transport, R2000], or will form soon [SP500]. Death-cross is when 50-dMA crosses 200-dMA on the downside and it is a bearish formation. That may mean at least a further sharp leg down.   https://community.morningstar.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/fidelity/message-id/3270/pr...

YBB
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Not really. When the John Hopkins new incidence map starts to tip right and stays there maybe a couple weeks bending more that might be the beginning of the end for the U.S. to me.

Maybe a steady climb if the talking heads also cooperate and start reporting some good news, maybe state by state, instead of clinging to the “Weather Channel” business model of reporting.    

“It would be a beautiful thing to have this happen by Easter”.  Lol.  Thank God for the many knowledgeable and dedicated career government workers that will guide us through this and the ecocomic aftermath despite the two party system.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

No way! We've got more "pain" to come, at least in terms of sicker individuals, deaths, etc. That's based on what I'm seeing at our local hospitals. It's getting WORSE on the front lines!

Win
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Suckers rally rolls on... Wonderful!

I see death cross now on S&P 500. Let's see how high the markets go before pulling back... Nothing changed other than the stimulus bill in theory and not sure what will happen in the house - I am betting it will pass there. But, that is not enough as no one wants to go out and the businesses are at a stand still - it's interesting times ahead for sure!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Classic Bear market rally.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@Win1177 wrote:

No way! We've got more "pain" to come, at least in terms of sicker individuals, deaths, etc. That's based on what I'm seeing at our local hospitals. It's getting WORSE on the front lines!

Agreed.  Was in grocery line ahead of a healthcare professional.  Cashier commented about WH wanting to open things up again in 2 weeks.  HC pro just laughed and said "We'll just be getting into the thick of it by then.  There's not a chance in..."

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@steelpony10 

I don't really condone unrealistic expectations, but hope is a powerful force that can relieve some of what we are experiencing.

Got my first groceries in two weeks. No meat, no rice or pasta, and TP is a fond memory from a bygone era. That's what feeling hopeless produces.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

No one knows the answer.  But I do know the market will recover and be much higher than the February 19 high five years from now.  Knowing that I just keep investing in equities.  

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

After I read all the negativity in prior posts, maybe I should start buying...you all have the same bearish sentiment  :-)

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Depending on locale, demographic, business, efficacy of HCQ etc, couldn't it mark beginning of inevitable reopening?

Highlighted
Participant ○

Well, at the end of the day, we are all dead!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Who knows?  I doubt it, but have noticed some positives for the market in the past week.  Of course there is the most recent stimulus package that is almost certain to get passed.  Also, it's starting to sink in that the fed is willing to do anything in their power to help the economy.   Additionally, law makers are saying that two or three more stimulus packages will probably get passed.  Finally, and I think this is the big one, it's becoming clear the administration isn't willing to keep the economy shut down to a point where the cure is worse than the disease.  I hope they wait at least a reasonable amount of time.  Easter is probably too soon, but at the same time, it's not reasonable to just shut the economy down for four or five months.   Up until a few days ago I think many investors were spooked by the thought of this.

What would the result of a long shut down be on the economy?  Poverty and a huge increase in the number of homeless can cause health and safety issues also.

It should be noted however that states may not listen to the President if and when he says they should go back to business as usual, but I don't think many investors consider this.           

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Folks earning more than $99,000 adjusted (2018) which probably includes most on this board will get zilch.  Happy sailing.

The good news for me is that our 3 year old maiden filly won her race going away for $37,000.  

Purses are getting smaller......racetrack venues are seeing fewer attendees.  Oh well.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@Saratoga wrote:

Today's rally was a great opportunity to sell equities - that I could not use since I was mostly out of equities.  It is hard to believe that the rally can be sustained when we have so much grim uncertainty ahead of us.   If we get even a glimmer of hopeful news in the next two, three weeks, maybe.   I am praying that Trump does not make another terrible mistake and drag the country down with him.

I sold a little bit that went slightly positive. Not really much of a trader these days, but it seems I can buy back lower later.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.