cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Who believes DOW's 2,112.98 rally will hold?

It looks to me that there were lots of short covering today and the senate hasn't even confirmed whether the stimulus plan is ready to go. Democrats and Republicans are fighting like school babies of what pork to include in the bill when the economy is practically shut down.

Even if they pass the stimulus, markets are going to sell off as there is no closure on the virus nonsense. Most of the businesses, and states are either shut off or in the process of doing so and the Feds are keeping the market on a lifeboat and are buying pretty much everything except individual stocks - at this rate, they might as well buy the whole market. ;)

Do any of believe this rally has legs?

0 Kudos
107 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Who believes DOW's 2,112.98 rally today will hold?

No, since the idea of Americans going back to work by Easter is "pie-in-the-sky".   You can't just "open" sections of  the country -this is not a department store.

Today's session was a short-squeeze extravaganza.  There could be some carry through tomorrow.  But then the reality of this situation comes back into focus.

Highlighted
Participant ○

I doubt this rally has legs - though looking at my account balances feels better than it did last night.  I used up about 10% of my dry powder during the last two down days when limit buy orders executed - and I've even lower limit buy orders in place for another 10%.  Let's see.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Not a chance. Not enough suffering has happened yet. Need a lot more up and downs. Need clarity where things are headed. 

Highlighted
Participant ○

No, but it sure made me want to participate. 

Contributor ○○○

Tried to suck me into updraft. 

@CherylBoca wrote:

No, but it sure made me want to participate. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Today's rally was a great opportunity to sell equities - that I could not use since I was mostly out of equities.  It is hard to believe that the rally can be sustained when we have so much grim uncertainty ahead of us.   If we get even a glimmer of hopeful news in the next two, three weeks, maybe.   I am praying that Trump does not make another terrible mistake and drag the country down with him.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

NO

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Saratoga wrote:

I am praying that Trump does not make another terrible mistake and drag the country down with him.

Too late...Sorry for rant.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

The markets will recover. Will there be bumps in the road? Sure

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Saratoga wrote:

Today's rally was a great opportunity to sell equities - that I could not use since I was mostly out of equities.  It is hard to believe that the rally can be sustained when we have so much grim uncertainty ahead of us.   If we get even a glimmer of hopeful news in the next two, three weeks, maybe.   I am praying that Trump does not make another terrible mistake and drag the country down with him.

What mistake did Trump make that will drag the country down?

why is it that you can’t post a response to an investment question without turning it into a political rant? Is your life that unhappy because Trump is POTUS?

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Disease progression in the US hasn’t peaked yet.  When folks realize that’s the case, we’ll see another major downdraft. 

Highlighted
Participant ○

What we need is the Stimulus passed immediately and a very firm grasp of this virus with numbers settling and or going down both in infections and death.

If not, it will not last.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@UncleFutz wrote:

Disease progression in the US hasn’t peaked yet.  When folks realize that’s the case, we’ll see another major downdraft. 

Based on data from China and Italy Estimates are that CV peaks In 4 weeks which is mid April in NY and then declines. Stocks will go up and down based on the headline of the day which is all the algorithms can read. So invest selectively in stocks/ETFs that will power the recovery which have good balance sheets.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Believe? here is what I want.  The SP500 to go under 2000 within 2-3 days, then start going up slowly + the VIX to go under 40 and then I will be much happier.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@FD1001 wrote:

Believe? here is what I want.  The SP500 to go under 2000 within 2-3 days, then start going up slowly + the VIX to go under 40 and then I will be much happier.

Stock prices will reflect the earnings results for Q1 which begins next month as well as earnings estimates for Q2 and Q3 and strength of balance sheets going forward.

Highlighted
Participant ○

DOW Futures down over 200 points.  No agreement in congress......no market gain continuing.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

There was a brief rally following the passage of TARP, which sucked investors in before the additional 22% decline in the first two months of 2009.

helmut

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/stock-futures-higher-after-white-house-senate-reach-deal-on-...

Today may offer the opportunity to sell a few stocks the were losers a few days ago if the markets again slide.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Yep, looks like we're off to the races.

(A pun for Gabe)

Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.