cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Turbulence ahead?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/7-reasons-the-stock-market-may-face-a-severe-bout-of-turbulence-ne....

The 4th of July weekend will not be a time I'll be holding some of my more risky stocks if the next few days indicate more market losses.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Turbulence ahead?

Don't count on a Summer Rally this year (I guess), from a Barron's article by Mark Hurbert (on 5/27).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

Don't count on a Summer Rally this year (I guess), from a Barron's article by Mark Hurbert (on 5/27).

My bet is on the continued growth of FAANGM and other recovery stocks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

What are your other recovery stocks to bet on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Sheryldell wrote:

What are your other recovery stocks to bet on?

TSLA

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'm not counting on any stocks to lead the way until Covid19 is controlled and our economy can see solid evidence of a recovery. I hold a few individual stocks, but most of my holdings are either MFs or ETFs.  Until I see indicators of a recovery I don't intend to add to my investments. Dow 30k is wishful at this point...…………….maybe tomorrow, but not today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@Intruder wrote:

@51hh wrote:

My bet is on the continued growth of FAANGM and other recovery stocks.

Short interest in FAANGs is high. S&P without teeth (fangs) sucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Virus is probably #1 concern, especially if we get a true second wave. Unemployment is likely #2 in my view, not because of the shock factor but the very real effect on consumption, defaults, sentiment etc. Jack Forearm has been paddling up the creek without a paddle in a canoe laden with gold. He's tired and the steep edge is feet away. Does he dump the gold, dive in to save his life, or wait for a helicopter?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Remain flexible - and keep some dry powder. This too shall pass.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The market volatility stems from the many unknows of what effects the virus will eventually place on the economy. I can wait, maybe until after the elections before I add much to any of my investments. Likely several of my individual stocks will hit their stops and thus build a stronger cash position.

Best to all

Out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

What I have noticed today is that most of my stocks aren't reaching their average daily volume. ......good indicating for me not to be too worried. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Summer doldrums kicks in...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

What I have noticed today is that most of my stocks aren't reaching their average daily volume. ......good indicating for me not to be too worried. 

How about sell in May and go away. Oops and you missed more gains. The operative term is always “may”. So how about a trading range until a vaccine? A significant portion of the U.S. population wants to drag this out. It is happening the same way in other countries. Not everyone owns stocks anyway mostly the well off. So who cares. Well I suppose you can add in more social disruption if you know who loses the election gets arrested and tried for tax evasion and “maybe” other counts. And on and on.

My point is it never ends stay the course as some have said and do something fun for once. We all just had 10 good years where you all made and banked significant profits right? Lol. Oops. Beat the bank maybe? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@steelpony10 

"We all just had 10 good years where you all made and banked significant profits right?

Yep, met my goals and then some. No need for me to take on additional risk until I see a better indication of where equities are headed. What others do is no concern for me................I just wish them well, as their needs are very likely very different than mine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

@steelpony10 

"We all just had 10 good years where you all made and banked significant profits right?

Yep, met my goals and then some. No need for me to take on additional risk until I see a better indication of where equities are headed. What others do is no concern for me................I just wish them well, as their needs are very likely very different than mine.

I just keep the pedal to the metal. Of course I drive a beater and can afford the bumps and scraps. If I get anywhere it’s a pleasant surprise. At this point equities comprise about 25% of our portfolio. Their volatility and unpredictable nature also assist blood flow. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

No need for me to take on additional risk until I see a better indication of where equities are headed.”

How often do we enjoy a solid indication of where equities are headed? The surer we are of it, the less reward there will be (because there is less risk).

Risk and reward are always commensurate. The future of the market is always uncertain. The market always climbs walls of worry.

I think it’s unproductive to invest based on one’s confidence level in the direction of the market. Well, not for me, at least.

0 Kudos
Announcements