cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@Poorfolio wrote:

A Garmin should take care of everything.

Does anyone need a Garmin now? My phone plays music and provides direction. So, my son threw out my Garmin and bought a holder for my phone. He also bought a charging cable for the cigarette lighter. So, we have 3 functions while driving on the road.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

FAANG AND MSFT doing well so far!  What a delight!

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@CarlosDS wrote:

Markets may be up or down today, but increased COVID numbers should be of concern.

I think that growth in the number of new cases could mean further economic pain and new market lows, with better entry prices for the timers. What a conundrum: should I be cheering for big a number of sick and dead people or a vaccine?

Stay safe everybody.   

There's also a lot more testing now. The more you dig, the more you gonna find.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@youth wrote:

@Capital wrote:

@youth wrote:

@51hh wrote:

Gabe,

Enjoy this article on your days off (as a market reporter):

https://seekingalpha.com/article/639491-a-lesson-in-minimum-volatility-gleaned-at-the-horse-races

An interesting article. In my opinion.....outdated!  So....a given----  I am not a "better" per se.  I do wager on horses I am invested in or own.  

In today horse racing atmosphere, there is very heavy wagering on what is termed "exotic" betting where horseplayers combine many horses in their selection to attempt winning a large amount of money.  In my opinion, attempt to do serious handicapping by a horse player pretty much goes out the window,  As an example, folks will wager on numbers i.e.. social security number, etc.  more examples,....colors that jockeys wear.....names of horses, et.  Serious handicapping out the window. 

Similarly, one can address the above to investors who for example read little about the company they will invest.  Many will go with whatever stock is in vogue.  Many more examples as well.  

Horse race betting is not a science....regardless how good a horse looks on paper in terms of wins, or barn or jockey etc...one cannot say for certain how the horse is feeing that day of the race.  

My wagers attempt to put more objectivity into the selection.  Some of the horses I own ...I do not wager on because the horse does meet the criteria established by my trainer, type of race reason for the horse entrance into the race, etc. Even with those qualifications, there are times... MANY I should have wagered and should have not wagered.  A risky game.

The major source of income is from the purse not from wagering for myself and son.  In the last few years, I had reduced my wagering on the horse I own from the thousands to hundreds because of my age and how thoroughbred horsing has changed 

Gabe

Gabe

Horse racing is a nice venture for those who understand the business. For those that don't they would need to either spend some very serious time getting to know the industry or buy the services of someone who does. Which direction did you and your Son go about making an entry into the business

I have been involved in thoroughbred racing since my early twenties in some form.  I had a number of trainers which assisted me greatly.  My son, who is a physician, is now in charge running the stable.  

Gabe

@youth  I'm going to leave the Horse Racing to you. Nothing better that a life time of experience in any field. I do like to watch the races. It seems really strange this year with the Triple Crown races being run in reverse. I've been to the Derby a few times in my life - the first few in the Infield - I like it better in the stands. Thanks for the reply.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@CarlosDS wrote:

Markets may be up or down today, but increased COVID numbers should be of concern.

I think that growth in the number of new cases could mean further economic pain and new market lows, with better entry prices for the timers. What a conundrum: should I be cheering for big a number of sick and dead people or a vaccine?

Stay safe everybody.   

Rather strange dilemma? My hope is for lives first and future second. You raise an important concern, let's hope this virus is resolved somehow,then a better economic outcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FatKat wrote:

@CarlosDS wrote:

Stay safe everybody.   

Rather strange dilemma? My hope is for lives first and future second. You raise an important concern, let's hope this virus is resolved somehow,then a better economic outcome.

No dilemma for me either human lives always come first. I was using irony in my last sentence to show an absurd position. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

A new trading day.....Firstly, the China trade is off and later changed to on.  Futures respond accordingly.  

Apple going wild.  

Nasdaq hitting new highs.  

Emerging markets showing progress.

Perhaps a good trading day.

So.....hold onto your hat.  Volatility is at the forefront.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@youth wrote:

A new trading day.....Firstly, the China trade is off and later changed to on.  Futures respond accordingly.  

Apple going wild.  

Nasdaq hitting new highs.  

Emerging markets showing progress.

Perhaps a good trading day.

So.....hold onto your hat.  Volatility is at the forefront.

Gabe

Just my opinion, Gabe, but "a good trading day" would likely happen DURING a big change.  You want SWINGS in sentiment WHILE trading.  Once the futures are out, so is the 'secret', and the "trade" could already be over.  A number of folks have previously mentioned that futures are showing what's already happening behind the scenes and typically don't provide anyone a "leg up" on anything actionable. 

Similar with "volatility"; which implies CHANGE.  Futures don't PREDICT anything; they tell you what's happening.  I DO agree that volatility is high, however; as it HAS been for several weeks/months now.  And yes, that has been good for trading - If YOU are good at trading!  8^b

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Thanks for your input.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@CarlosDS wrote:

Stay safe everybody.   

Stocks will continue to go up because congress will pass another $2-3T recovery Law before Election Day to capture the hearts and minds of voters.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Intruder wrote:

@CarlosDS wrote:

Stay safe everybody.   

Stocks will continue to go up because congress will pass another $2-3T recovery Law before Election Day to capture the hearts and minds of voters.

Unfortunately, I do not prefer being the richest man in the cemetery.  Regardless of the positive impact of the stimulus on the market......what good would it be for folks who more easily can contract the virus.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@CarlosDS wrote:

Stay safe everybody.   

It's your hope that the market will go down because you want it to influence the election.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FD1001 wrote:

@CarlosDS wrote:

Stay safe everybody.   

It's your hope that the market will go down because you want it to influence the election.

Is it a question, FD? In any event, you and Trudy should stop the political commentary 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Gabe,

@racqueteer spoke my mind.  The daily volatility and fluctuation mean very little to a prudent long-term investor eventually, but you seem to be obsessed with them. 

To me and me alone, that is simply a waste of time, energy, emotion, and money if one  should act upon them.  But of course, to each her/his own.:)

BR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@51hh wrote:

Gabe,

@racqueteer spoke my mind.  The daily volatility and fluctuation mean very little to a prudent long-term investor eventually, but you seem to be obsessed with them. 

To me and me alone, that is simply a waste of time, energy, emotion, and money if one  should act upon them.  But of course, to each her/his own.:)

BR.

The daily "analysis" on the part of youth is not helpful and his prior longer term predictions for a market low were, unless we see a retracement, also harmful for anyone listening to his predictions.

His call for a buy point on the S&P at 2000, or even 1900 I think he mentioned, would have denied the listener/follower the opportunity to add to equity positions when the S&P was as much as 34% down from the recent high. Too bad.

Jerry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@cudaman wrote:

@51hh wrote:

Gabe,

BR.

The daily "analysis" on the part of youth is not helpful and his prior longer term predictions for a market low were, unless we see a retracement, also harmful for anyone listening to his predictions.

His call for a buy point on the S&P at 2000, or even 1900 I think he mentioned, would have denied the listener/follower the opportunity to add to equity positions when the S&P was as much as 34% down from the recent high. Too bad.

Jerry

Which is a nice way of saying that all poster youth has accomplished with his daily ramblings and doom/gloom prognostication is to potentially scare off those with less fortitude from taking tactical advantage of opportunities, or worse, give cause for peeps to flee (selling out and locking in losses). Agree ... too bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

To Jerry/VA-Tech

Hogwash!  My Posts never suggested a recommendation that individuals buy or sell but only stated my opinion.  Too, I said that if folks felt that my posts were not to their liking, to skip it.  To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

At least I got new suspenders out of this thread...    

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Market [Q2 Rebalancing]

Solved or there is a best answer. Go to solution.

SP500 futures are telling something about Q2 end rebalancing from stocks to bonds by pension funds. This is reflected in Sep [ESU] and Dec [ESZ] futures trading at noticeable discount from the current SP500 value.   https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/%5EGSPC,ESU20.CME,ESZ20.CME/view/v1

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@youth wrote:

To Jerry/VA-Tech

Hogwash!  My Posts never suggested a recommendation that individuals buy or sell but only stated my opinion.  Too, I said that if folks felt that my posts were not to their liking, to skip it.  To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.  

Gabe

I never said YOU recommended anything. You merely painted the doom and gloom narrative ...... PERPETUALLY. What posters did with that narrative is their own responsibility. I get that right enough for you?

Announcements