cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Well..... the market lost momentum as it approached the deep stretch and floundered and finished badly.  

A poor performance.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@youth wrote:

... finished badly.

Gabe

Oh no, lost all the pennies I have been saving lately.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Intruder wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

@youth wrote:

Apple's announcement re:  closing some stores in two states has caused the market to stumble.....in the red----- market needs to steady itself as it reaches the backstretch.

Gabe

Sorry Gabe, it seems that Apple will close its stores in four states.

The stores to be closed are in Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, and South Carolina, four states tha...

Oh, yes. "They are being targetted unfairly."

AAPL was down less than 0.5%.

These closings are all temporary due to virus concerns in those states. I don't see this affecting Apple in any significant way. We all became accustomed to the market going up constantly in the recent past. The volitile swings of recent trading is more normal for the Stock Market. It appears that it will take time for some to adjust to this "new" reality. 

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Unfortunately so.  Volatility will dominate the market.  We are all aware of how it affects investors......what are the positive aspects of volatility? 

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

what are the positive aspects of volatility?”

Better entry prices for flexible DCAers.

Highlighted
Participant ○

@youth wrote:

Unfortunately so.  Volatility will dominate the market.  We are all aware of how it affects investors......what are the positive aspects of volatility? 

Gabe

What you wrote above is the BLIND spot of many investors, apparently including you. Volatility provides tactical investment opportunities for those not easily scared off by the feeble-witted who prognosticate gloom-&-doom scenarios ad-nauseam.

Further, it's an irrational fear of volatility that causes many investors to shy away from equities towards bonds, even when it's clearly recognized that bonds will underperform over longer periods of time. Such investors fear the higher-volatility of equities more than the underperformance of lower-volatility bonds. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The key is the volatility is a double-edged sword. It works against you when you have volatility down, and for you when you have volatility up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Gabe,

Enjoy this article on your days off (as a market reporter):

https://seekingalpha.com/article/639491-a-lesson-in-minimum-volatility-gleaned-at-the-horse-races

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@racqueteer wrote:

The key is the volatility is a double-edged sword. It works against you when you have volatility down, and for you when you have volatility up.

Traders count on volatility to make money in either an up or down market.

veni vidi vici vti
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

Gabe,

https://seekingalpha.com/article/639491-a-lesson-in-minimum-volatility-gleaned-at-the-horse-races

@51hh  - LOL - get up go horsey.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@VA-Tech wrote:

@youth wrote:

Gabe

What you wrote above is the BLIND spot of many investors, apparently including you. Volatility provides tactical investment opportunities for those not easily scared off by the feeble-witted who prognosticate gloom-&-doom scenarios ad-nauseam.

Further, it's an irrational fear of volatility that causes many investors to shy away from equities towards bonds, even when it's clearly recognized that bonds will underperform over longer periods of time. Such investors fear the higher-volatility of equities more than the underperformance of lower-volatility bonds. 

Not to mention that it might be easier for me to make money on some covered call writing. A constant surging market has all but stopped me in my tracks from using that strategy. There are ways to make money in all markets. I just never go short naked so I lose equity when the markets dive. Naked shorting is just not a game I am comfortable with.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@51hh wrote:

Gabe,

An interesting article. In my opinion.....outdated!  So....a given----  I am not a "better" per se.  I do wager on horses I am invested in or own.  

In today horse racing atmosphere, there is very heavy wagering on what is termed "exotic" betting where horseplayers combine many horses in their selection to attempt winning a large amount of money.  In my opinion, attempt to do serious handicapping by a horse player pretty much goes out the window,  As an example, folks will wager on numbers i.e.. social security number, etc.  more examples,....colors that jockeys wear.....names of horses, et.  Serious handicapping out the window. 

Similarly, one can address the above to investors who for example read little about the company they will invest.  Many will go with whatever stock is in vogue.  Many more examples as well.  

Horse race betting is not a science....regardless how good a horse looks on paper in terms of wins, or barn or jockey etc...one cannot say for certain how the horse is feeing that day of the race.  

My wagers attempt to put more objectivity into the selection.  Some of the horses I own ...I do not wager on because the horse does meet the criteria established by my trainer, type of race reason for the horse entrance into the race, etc. Even with those qualifications, there are times... MANY I should have wagered and should have not wagered.  A risky game.

The major source of income is from the purse not from wagering for myself and son.  In the last few years, I had reduced my wagering on the horse I own from the thousands to hundreds because of my age and how thoroughbred horsing has changed 

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@youth wrote:

@51hh wrote:

Gabe,

An interesting article. In my opinion.....outdated!  So....a given----  I am not a "better" per se.  I do wager on horses I am invested in or own.  

In today horse racing atmosphere, there is very heavy wagering on what is termed "exotic" betting where horseplayers combine many horses in their selection to attempt winning a large amount of money.  In my opinion, attempt to do serious handicapping by a horse player pretty much goes out the window,  As an example, folks will wager on numbers i.e.. social security number, etc.  more examples,....colors that jockeys wear.....names of horses, et.  Serious handicapping out the window. 

Similarly, one can address the above to investors who for example read little about the company they will invest.  Many will go with whatever stock is in vogue.  Many more examples as well.  

Horse race betting is not a science....regardless how good a horse looks on paper in terms of wins, or barn or jockey etc...one cannot say for certain how the horse is feeing that day of the race.  

My wagers attempt to put more objectivity into the selection.  Some of the horses I own ...I do not wager on because the horse does meet the criteria established by my trainer, type of race reason for the horse entrance into the race, etc. Even with those qualifications, there are times... MANY I should have wagered and should have not wagered.  A risky game.

The major source of income is from the purse not from wagering for myself and son.  In the last few years, I had reduced my wagering on the horse I own from the thousands to hundreds because of my age and how thoroughbred horsing has changed 

Gabe

Gabe

Horse racing is a nice venture for those who understand the business. For those that don't they would need to either spend some very serious time getting to know the industry or buy the services of someone who does. Which direction did you and your Son go about making an entry into the business? 

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Capital wrote:

@youth wrote:

@51hh wrote:

Gabe,

Gabe

Gabe

Horse racing is a nice venture for those who understand the business. For those that don't they would need to either spend some very serious time getting to know the industry or buy the services of someone who does. Which direction did you and your Son go about making an entry into the business

I have been involved in thoroughbred racing since my early twenties in some form.  I had a number of trainers which assisted me greatly.  My son, who is a physician, is now in charge running the stable.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Futures down over 100 points......reason...increase in Covid numbers.  Numbers of coved exceed financial fundamentals in importance as it relates to the market.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@youth wrote:

Futures down over 100 points......reason...increase in Covid numbers.  Numbers of coved exceed financial fundamentals in importance as it relates to the market.

Gabe

Now up 280 points. Yesterday’s solar eclipse?

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Yeah, further; it is a Monday that is not a rainy day (hopefully not); going to be interesting and mysterious...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Again, market looking for direction.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

A Garmin should take care of everything.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Markets may be up or down today, but increased COVID numbers should be of concern.

I think that growth in the number of new cases could mean further economic pain and new market lows, with better entry prices for the timers. What a conundrum: should I be cheering for big a number of sick and dead people or a vaccine?

Stay safe everybody.   

Announcements