cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

I thought that this thread was solved, yet the neverending negativity goes on.

Not that one cannot discuss the market behavior (as is truthfully without exaggeration), but please leave one's overly-negativity and groundless doom/gloom prediction at the door. 

Just a gentle request.

Maybe you are taking it too seriously? Forums tend to have a variety of members, some are more lite-hearted and based on whimsical comments, such as suspenders, pennies, and woeful predictions. Such character posters provide an often need break from more strenuous discourse. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

You are right, after a while, I was no longer amused.  :)

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@51hh wrote:

Dow futures are down 200.  The three indices are wallowing in the toilet.  "Don't be sorry, be happy".  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@youth wrote:

@51hh wrote:

Dow futures are down 200.  The three indices are wallowing in the toilet.  "Don't be sorry, be happy".  

Gabe

Let me clarify if there is any misunderstanding, the "You" in my previous post refers to @FatKat's comment above that post. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

“Be greedy when others are fearful.”

”Buy when there’s blood in the streets.”

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

This is a note from our state health department.

"Sunday, June 28, 2020 | 02:18pm

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Tennessee Department of Health will not issue data on COVID-19 cases and tests on Sunday, June 28, 2020 due to an unplanned shutdown of the state surveillance system. TDH will resume daily provision of case counts and additional data once the system returns to full functionality and complete and accurate data can be provided.

TDH uses the National Electronic Disease Surveillance System Base System, known as NBS, developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help local, state and territorial health departments manage reportable disease data and send it to CDC. This system houses data for all reportable diseases in Tennessee, including COVID-19, and is the system health department staff members use to perform public health case investigations.

Due to an extremely high volume of both COVID-19 and other laboratory test results being reported, there have been recent intermittent backlogs of labs in queue to be imported into the NBS system. This issue is not unique to Tennessee, and is affecting all NBS jurisdictions. The TDH team has been working closely with the NBS vendor and Tennessee State Government information technology support to quickly implement fixes that have been identified."

It seems that the reporting the number of cases in several states may be affected.

It seems that the update has not been completed when the new peak exceeded the previous peak set in April in Tennessee. Yet, the count is not complete, and  I am not sure if it is not delibrate attempt by the authorities to cover up the truth and minimize the effect of the virus. I suspect that it is. Besides, the other states will also be in a similar situation  - not unique to Tennessee. But, in the long run,these types of attempts will fail and the market will refelct sometime in the future if not in the near future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@ECEPROF : I often have a certain level of skepticism on any data concerning COVID-19 cases.  Like in Mass, it was regularly high for a long period of time; then after (or in sync with) the announcement of staged re-opening, it came down just like that. 

Now it is regularly low.  My engineering intuition points to some data manipulation (I would not say fabrication though).  You know, the slope is not that organic and gradual like a healing process, so to speak.  But of course, I have no proof to substantiate my claim.  

Maybe just me.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Effective today the use of masks became mandatory in Nashville. The Order was published yesterday after a vote Friday of the local Health Commission. The Order will only marginally change what my family and I were already doing. It should change the actions in local bars by tourists and locals who seem blind to this pandemic. The Tennessean, Nashville's local paper, is reporting that over half of the latest Covid-19 cases in Tennessee now come from unknown sources. Until recently almost all case we're link to a close contact. This makes me wonder if this is occurring in other states as well.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

It seems that the reporting the number of cases in several states may be affected.

It seems that the update has not been completed when the new peak exceeded the previous peak set in April in Tennessee. Yet, the count is not complete, and  I am not sure if it is not delibrate attempt by the authorities to cover up the truth and minimize the effect of the virus. I suspect that it is. Besides, the other states will also be in a similar situation  - not unique to Tennessee. But, in the long run,these types of attempts will fail and the market will refelct sometime in the future if not in the near future.

COVID numbers for yesterday, 6/29/20:  New cases 40,500; New deaths 285  LINK

It does not include numbers for Tennessee, Rhode Island, and Idaho

PS (added on editing): I think we make a good team with Gabe. He reports on the markets and I inform on COVID numbers. :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@CarlosDS : Excellent, thanks. 

Do you report only bad numbers?  Should we hold onto something when you report it; e.g., masks or sanitizers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Europe and the USA have both tested roughly the same (33m US and 30m Europe). With a smaller population we have tested at a higher rate so therefore turn up more positives. I have been in about 9 states the last few weeks and see people everywhere not taking it seriously waring masks and distancing. Clerks and servers are wearing them its patron that don't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

@CarlosDS : Excellent, thanks. 

Do you report only bad numbers?  Should we hold onto something when you report it; e.g., masks or sanitizers?

I report on COVID numbers that are likely to move the markets and are straightforward to obtain. I could comment on COVID vaccine advances and discuss why the Moderna one is a good possibility, the Oxford one will not be a solution and the good prospects of a couple of Chinese vaccines based on inactivated viruses. But a post like that would be very technical and followed by few people only. 

Some good news about COVID includes several treatment options (Remdesivir, low dose corticosteroids, convalescent plasma) that have reduced mortality rates and the fact, IMO, that next year we will have a vaccine for sure.

Stay safe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@CarlosDS wrote:
I could comment on COVID vaccine advances and discuss why the Moderna one is a good possibility, the Oxford one will not be a solution and the good prospects of a couple of Chinese vaccines based on inactivated viruses. But a post like that would be very technical and followed by few people only. 

Some good news about COVID includes several treatment options (Remdesivir, low dose corticosteroids, convalescent plasma) that have reduced mortality rates and the fact, IMO, that next year we will have a vaccine for sure.

Stay safe

I can't speak for others, but I'd LOVE to discuss this further.  Maybe throw it into "off topic" for those who wish to hear more?  It sounds like the thrust here is to deal with the inflammation complications of the illness?  What gives you confidence in the availability/efficacy of a vaccine next year?  Inquiring minds and all that...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@CarlosDS : That is great and contributory.  Thanks!

In this thread is fine with me, too.  Like you said, a good team:)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

Europe and the USA have both tested roughly the same (33m US and 30m Europe). With a smaller population we have tested at a higher rate so therefore turn up more positives. I have been in about 9 states the last few weeks and see people everywhere not taking it seriously waring masks and distancing. Clerks and servers are wearing them its patron that don't.

Europe has 2.25 times our population, less known cases, and the US has 52% more deaths as of yesterday.  Death rate is the ultimate measure of success in this pandemic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Gabe, market futures are now up; are we still to anticipate a "humdinger" of a week?  Is that now a humdinger up rather than down?  Or is it just going to be partly hazy with volatility?  I need your update!!!

btw, Gabe, this isn't intended as a putdown or criticism.  You seem to have a sense of humor, and YOU set the tone for this thread.  Just trying to lighten the mood...

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

It ridiculous to think we have inferior health care to cause more deaths. There is something else going on with the numbers or the way US citizens react to the virus. If some minorities are hit harder by the virus it is safe to assume they die more frequently. I am curious how many die at home or at least not in a hospital? Are all deaths reported the same no matter where it occurs? There are too many things to not trust about reporting. 

@bilperk wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

Europe and the USA have both tested roughly the same (33m US and 30m Europe). With a smaller population we have tested at a higher rate so therefore turn up more positives. I have been in about 9 states the last few weeks and see people everywhere not taking it seriously waring masks and distancing. Clerks and servers are wearing them it's patron that don't.

Europe has 2.25 times our population, less known cases, and the US has 52% more deaths as of yesterday.  Death rate is the ultimate measure of success in this pandemic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My thoughts on the issue is people of the USA are more prone to objecting to restraint on personal independence. 

I remember some people literally up in arms over state laws about restraint of personal autonomy and freedom to go about their lives without censorship. 

Then with the death of George Floyd,  it seems crowds of protesters took center stage and social distancing took a backseat to the need for personal expression.

I believe the USA places the highest value on individually and personal freedom of expression. Our values are contrary to coping with a pandemic where curbing self expression is paramount. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I believe that some strong arguments could be made that putting a high value on "personal liberty" or "expression" may not be conducive to success as a society over the long haul. "Live free or Die" may be the exact opposite of reality, though it makes a nice t-shirt slogan. There are times when personal freedoms may be a well appreciated luxury...and times when not working together towards a common goal, challenge or enemy may be a big deficit. 

The nations that have done a good job dealing with COVID-19 seem to be those that value long-tern goals over short-term pleasures. And those that value group success over individual "liberties". Imagine a football team where each member was only interested in his individual goals. Gonna get stomped by the team that plays well together.

As to the U.S. healthcare system, it seems to be great if not stressed and as long as you have great insurance. But, maybe not so great as a tool to maintain overall great public health. Even the vaunted CDC has come under intense scrutiny as of late. Kicking science to the curb, when it is no longer convenient is not helping any. The U.S. seems to suffer from intense distrust of expertise. Hard to see that as a good thing. When politicians are being trusted to build bridges vs engineers...

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

The US death rate matches that of the world according to the Johns Hopkins website.

@bilperk wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

0 Kudos
Announcements