cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tech warning signs?

@waffle wrote:

While usd might weaken but if other currencies weaken more usd will get stronger.

Not if the US continues to approve trillion dollar stimulus packages while other countries’ economies are successfully recovering, as many are.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

Makes me wonder about foreign bonds, which I’ve never owned, purely as a currency play—which I’ve never done.

I have used VWOB for a few years until about 30 months ago when the price was $76/share to $80/share. Then, I sold all of it and started with BDCs and CEFs. Check out VWOB, if you want to. The yield seems to be around the same even now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

@chang wrote:

Makes me wonder about foreign bonds, which I’ve never owned, purely as a currency play—which I’ve never done.

I have used VWOB for a few years until about 30 months ago when the price was $76/share to $80/share. Then, I sold all of it and started with BDCs and CEFs. Check out VWOB, if you want to. The yield seems to be around the same even now.

VG says the fund invests in dollar-denominated bonds. If so, then it wouldn’t benefit from a weakening dollar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

It’s the COVID conundrum. How do we recover without opening up? The group that only cares about deaths shouts down the open up group. We are screwed. 

@chang wrote:

@waffle wrote:

While usd might weaken but if other currencies weaken more usd will get stronger.

Not if the US continues to approve trillion dollar stimulus packages while other countries’ economies are successfully recovering, as many are.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

@chang wrote:

VG says the fund invests in dollar-denominated bonds. If so, then it wouldn’t benefit from a weakening dollar.

True. That is the reason why I used it. I did not want currency fluctuation to affect my investments.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

@chang wrote: 

True. That is the reason why I used it. I did not want currency fluctuation to affect my investments.

My point was to gain exposure to foreign currencies. That’s what I usually prefer in my foreign equity funds—unhedged exposure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

It’s the COVID conundrum. How do we recover without opening up? The group that only cares about deaths shouts down the open up group. We are screwed. 

@chang wrote:

@waffle wrote:

Ha. Ha. It’s only been 5 months guys and gals. This isn’t 14 years of stagflation or the race riots and assassinations of the 60’s. Everything involves a fraction of the U.S. population. Political correctness gone wild. Pigs to the troughs. Notice how the big hurricane hardly made a blip in the news. How about turning everything off until a vaccine next year, as if.

*wait until Federal agents are sent to voting locations in November to observe and check for irregularities. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

Mr. Stanton is betting against the dollar, expecting Federal Reserve stimulus programs to continue weakening the currency, boosting investments from stocks to commodities that are priced in dollars.”

Interesting observation—hopefully true, since all my stock buys lately (and in the foreseeable future, as long as US cities are in flames and armed rioters are looting and pillaging) are in foreign stock, where I see ample opportunities to find growth and value.

Just how is the federal reserve policy of loaning money to the US treasury going to weaken the currency When fed is buying treasury debt at a yield of 1.3%? 

0 Kudos
Announcements