cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Chap
Follower ○○

Looking for signals

Trying to spend this year looking for market signals. Not necessarily to time the market but to get more insync with talking heads that boldly say last week something changed and proceed to talk about this week.

Hints I have gathered from the board in the past are current DOW versus its 50/200 day lines. 

Breadth Oscillators and Moving Day Averages

Sector rankings

Today I was comparing MOAT with SCHG where SCHG has just crossed the MOAT line on a 5 year chart. Call it a light bulb moment that the thinking ETF has been passed by the brawn ETF.  Could we call this the beginning of Euphoria when chanting takes over for thinking? Or the market is over its skiis?

Comments?

Chap

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rila3400
Contributor ○○

Re: Looking for signals

@Chap wrote:

Trying to spend this year looking for market signals. Not necessarily to time the market but to get more insync with talking heads that boldly say last week something changed and proceed to talk about this week.

<snip>

That would be a waste of time in my opinion.
You'd be better off developing a sound plan and then executing it.
A financial planner could be engaged if necessary.
Ignore the talking heads!

CherylBoca
Explorer ○○

Re: Looking for signals

Here are two 

imarketsignals (the BCI and BCIg)

https://imarketsignals.com/2020/no-sight-next-recession-business-cycle-index-update-1-9-2020/

The link above is the latest update, but dig around the site. You can see a lot without subscribing, and if you never subscribe, you can still see all the data a little delayed.

And, of course, the classic fear and greed (FGI) index. Now, market returns are asymmetric - meaning that a lot of the return occurs in times of greed or extreme greed. But, if you always have cash, or bonds in a diversified portfolio, a good time to rotate back into stocks is when the FGI is under 20.  It's no so good a sell signal.

https://money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-greed/

Cheryl

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in