Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Futures

Futures are trading over Labor Day weekend as follows:

Sunday, 5:00 PM Central to Monday 12N Central - Most futures

Monday, 5:00 PM Central to Tuesday [normal pattern] - Most futures 

Equity futures have negative tone on Sunday evening.

https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

https://www.cmegroup.com/

YBB
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Futures

Rotation out of Nasdaq might continue for a while; nobody knows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

Rotation out of Nasdaq may continue for a while.

Honestly, and no offense intended, I don't know why people here make short term predictions (whether it's about the rest of the year, the rest of the week, "for a while" or about the last half-hour of the day). Nobody knows a danm thing about the near-term future, and everybody who makes such predictions is invariably wrong 50% of the time. Last Thursday somebody predicted continued heavy selling on Friday, which obviously didn't happen. Right now, the European markets are up strongly over 1%. I predict that tomorrow, the US market will....

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

For me only, I was just trying to observe some trend, no predictions at all (thus the "may"; now changed to "might.":))  I do take short-term trend into consideration. 

My overall asset allocation is basically set; but if there is a bull trend or bear trend coming, it forms important information for me to do minor tactical adjustment (say 5% up and down), if necessary, according to my design.

For example, I detect some lack in tech in my portfolio recently, thus have been increased gradually and in low percentage of my tech portfolio in the last 2-3 months.  

But agreed fully daily (or too short-term) ups and downs are meaningless and any market behavior in that time frame can not be observed  or predicted.   

Cheers.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh  The trend Thursday was down (sharply), and the trend Friday was back up. That doesn’t tell me anything about the next trading day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Agreed, I am talking more on the weekly (or even monthly) trend.  

My approach is just to get some more benefits from a major bull as it moves to the peak and reduce some losses from a major bear as it moves to the bottom.  

@chang; basically agreeing with you near-term movement is meaningless and cannot foresee the trend; thus will not post as such in the future:)  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh  I didn’t mean to pick on your post, I’ve seen far worse. The recent trend regarding tech and the Nasdaq, whether a month, a year or a decade, has been up, up, up. It may reverse one day, and value may lead, but so far there’s been no serious indication of this. In the absence of some clear signs to the contrary, I view Thursday as a dip to buy on, which I did (Thursday and Friday both).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@51hh  The trend Thursday was down (sharply), and the trend Friday was back up. That doesn’t tell me anything about the next trading day.

Only good thing about friday was the decline in tech sector which provided opportunity to buy tech at a discount.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@51hh  I didn’t mean to pick on your post, I’ve seen far worse. The recent trend regarding tech and the Nasdaq, whether a month, a year or a decade, has been up, up, up. It may reverse one day, and value may lead, but so far there’s been no serious indication of this. In the absence of some clear signs to the contrary, I view Thursday as a dip to buy on, which I did (Thursday and Friday both).

Don’t see how the trend to tech will change since both the US economy and global economies are depending on tech sector to grow/increase the economic recovery in the post covid era.  Value stocks will recover slowly if it ever happens because they are Heavily invested in industrial companies such as GE, GM, Ford where there will be little growth.

You dont need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Word "futures" gives people wrong ideas about predictions or trends. It just means that one can lock prices TODAY to buy or sell at a FUTURE DATE for the cost of commissions and committing a small futures margin [but risk is for the entire position].

So, one can buy/sell Nasdaq-100 futures [that is like QQQ] at 11,477 in futures account right now [even when the US market is closed] for September settlement date of 9/18/20 [similar for other settlement dates, e.g. 12/18/20 for December futures].   https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/e-mini-nasdaq-100.html

Prediction comes from futures traders for their own portfolios - they buy today if they think prices will be higher on settlement date, and sell today if they think that prices will be lower. 

Anyway, the OP was to provide days and times for futures trading around the Labor Day holiday.

YBB
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Not sure why people are interested in short term futures. 
It only takes one news item prior to open to point futures in the opposite direction.

Let’s say Apple sends out a news release on Tuesday morning about the availability of new versions of Apple watches and IPads. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

Rotation out of Nasdaq might continue for a while; nobody knows.

This is 100% correct!

Announcements