cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Futures are down again BIG...

@Anitya wrote:

This is analogous to 9/11 - a sudden change of the way we lived before and this is a sudden Govt mandated shutdown of the economy.  I think it would be smart for the President to shut down the market for a week - similar to 9/11.  Otherwise, a lot more people will get sick than if the market is closed.

Italy new cases and deaths fell by 15-18% on Sunday.  They started their social shut down on March 11 - it took them 11 days to start decelerating the virus.  Our social shut down started last week and so, getting to March 30 would be useful.  

It turns out the President read my above post and tweeted that he wants to lift the shutdown after the initial 15 days!  That would be next Monday.  So, why do we need large business bail outs?  I guess in the meantime he wants to get federal bail out money for his businesses.  I did not realize until now the severity of conflicts of interests politicians operate under - campaign contributions, personal wealth, constituents that vote for them, etc.  A president that does not worry about his own businesses (i.e., does not own any businesses) would have been more direct in dealing with the virus situation.  I do not see much difference between him and the college students out vacationing on spring break this year.  What a societal mess we are in.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Anitya wrote:

@Anitya wrote:

This is analogous to 9/11 - a sudden change of the way we lived before and this is a sudden Govt mandated shutdown of the economy.  I think it would be smart for the President to shut down the market for a week - similar to 9/11.  Otherwise, a lot more people will get sick than if the market is closed.

Italy new cases and deaths fell by 15-18% on Sunday.  They started their social shut down on March 11 - it took them 11 days to start decelerating the virus.  Our social shut down started last week and so, getting to March 30 would be useful.  

It turns out the President read my above post and tweeted that he wants to lift the shutdown after the initial 15 days!  That would be next Monday.  So, why do we need large business bail outs?  I guess in the meantime he wants to get federal bail out money for his businesses.  I did not realize until now the severity of conflicts of interests politicians operate under - campaign contributions, personal wealth, constituents that vote for them, etc.  A president that does not worry about his own businesses (i.e., does not own any businesses) would have been more direct in dealing with the virus situation.  I do not see much difference between him and the college students out vacationing on spring break this year.  What a societal mess we are in.

The Dems call it slush fund and they keep blocking the bill.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Anitya wrote:

@Anitya wrote:

Sadly, this is not driven by top medical advisors or even top economic advisors in concert with top medical advisors, it is driven by Fox News opinion hosts.

And I suspect that we are about to go deep into the rabbit hole.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

The Dems call it slush fund and they keep blocking the bill.

Not to mention the items thrown into the bill regarding emission standards for airlines, increase tax credits for wind and solar, additional collective bargaining power for unions, $35 million for the Kennedy Center, community newspaper retirement plans, $15 minimum wage at companies receiving benefits, Permanent paid leave, and other items that really have nothing to do with CV.  Oh, wait, the dimwits threw that into the bill.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

When you have the other guy over a barrel, that is precisely the time to press your advantage. Trying to make sure that any taxpayer relief goes to those with the most need and not those who are looking to profiteer is OK with me. To that point, the $15 minimum wage, an assist for struggling information services, efforts to improve worker's conditions all fit that bill. Giving $500 million to Mnuchin to dole out in anonymity, should chill anyone to the bone.

"Trust me", said the fox, as he lobbied to watch over the hen house. 'Democratic concerns have focused on a $500 billion funding program Republicans want to create for loans and loan guarantees, with some Democrats calling it a “slush fund” that lacks any oversight because the Treasury Department would have broad discretion over who receives the money. Asked about this Monday evening, Trump responded, “I’ll be the oversight.” '

Signed,  A Dimwit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

The “other guy” is the American public!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@mattm wrote:

The “other guy” is the American public!!!

Is it? The GOP package is designed to favor corporate interests , not the general public. You OK with a $500 million fund, controlled by Mnuchin?  You OK, with hiding the identities of who gets taxpayer dollars? You OK with giving tax dollars to corporations with no strings attached regarding employees, or executive renumeration, or how it is deployed (share buybacks)?

The GOP is counting on the American public to accept a rushed package in a moment of crisis and not looking too closely at the details, I say we hammer out a deal that favors those with real need.

Both sides will tell you they are looking out for the American public, what do the actual facts indicate here?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I think you are listening to the democrat talking points, most of what you state is factually untrue.

I know you’re far more intelligent than the talking heads in the main stream media. The bill is full of Democrat agenda items.  That’s a fact!

There’s too much to discuss on this board I suggest you go back and read the bill as best you can and maybe you’ll come up with a different opinion. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

So how is funding Planned Parenthood have any **bleep** thing to do with the virsus??  As of a few hours ago it was in there.  Never let a crisis go to waste!  Typical.

Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.