cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Retirement Portfolio Benchmark

Since April 1st we've been using a combination of 4 ETFs as a benchmark for our 50/50 retirement port:

25% VTTVX + 25% VTWNX + 25% VWENX + 25% VWINX

The first two are VTRFs 2025 and 2020. The last two are the Admiral versions of Windsor and Wellington. 

We're going to rebalance them once per year when we rebalance our port. So far we're winning.

Returns: Galeno Port = 12.76%. Benchmark = 12.14%.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Retirement Portfolio Benchmark

@galeno wrote:

Since April 1st we've been using a combination of 4 ETFs as a benchmark for our 50/50 retirement port:

25% VTTVX + 25% VTWNX + 25% VWENX + 25% VWINX

The first two are VTRFs 2025 and 2020. The last two are the Admiral versions of Windsor and Wellington. 

We're going to rebalance them once per year when we rebalance our port. So far we're winning.

Returns: Galeno Port = 12.76%. Benchmark = 12.14%.

I guess the question is winning what when you hand pick opponents. Judging from earlier in the week your back in manic mode?

You do understand thousands of portfolios will do the job? An example is I haven’t rebalanced in 40+ years just reinvested returns. Now I’am 138% in excess of needs, who knew.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Depressed is when I hate both sides of our port. Manic is when I love both sides. Right now I'm OK with our stocks. And, as always, I hate our FI. 

In late March I was loving our stocks. So much that I bought more of them. Back to my new index.

I love those 4 ETFs. One stop shopping. 2 passive. 2 active. I've been racing our port against Windsor and Wellington since Jan 2006..

W&W beats us on its gross vs our net returns. But when I apply the 30% NRA witholding tax for dividend and interest income we beat W&W.

I've recently started looking at TRFs. I love them. Just choose the one nearest your FRA. Set and forget. 

So I decided that from April 1st onward my goal is to beat the index over the next 10 years. So far we have a slight lead. But the race has just begun.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Do you mean Wellesley VWINX/VWIAX instead of Explorer ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Since Mar 31 our port has gained 13.5%.

Our index has gained 13.9%.

Our port is still nicely ahead YTD. 5.0% vs 1.3%.

0 Kudos
Participant ○○○

I don't understand your question.

@Sheryldell wrote:

Do you mean Wellesley VWINX/VWIAX instead of Explorer ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I've been comparing the REBOUND returns of the galeno port vs the galeno retirement index since 3/31. Very comparable. 16.9% vs 16.6%.

I just compared YTD returns. What a difference! 7.7% vs 3.7%. Our over rebalance buying 23% more stocks on 3/31 really boosted our YTD return. A lot.

The best YTD return of the 4 was the 2020 target retirement fund (50/50) with 4.3%. And the 2025 target retirement fund (60/40) did 4.2%. Both are index funds.

Wellington and Wellesley, my favorite managed funds, are doing poorly YTD. 2.8% and 3.5% respectively.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

sheryldell: 

"Do you mean Wellesley VWINX/VWIAX instead of Explorer ?"

I don't think Galeno has ever mentioned Explorer, much less in this thread.  Are you confused??

Galeno, I used to have Wellesley and the 500 Index, but a month or so ago decided to exchange the index for Wellington, so I too now have the W/W combination as most of my equities in my largest IRA.  (the rest of equities is a preferred stock I'm using for income).

Announcements