cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
ESAR
Follower ○○○

Questions About Receiving Canada Pension (CPP) while receiving Social Security (SS)

I am unable to find the answers calling Canada Pension customer service or Social Security customer service. Appreciate your help if you know the answers.

1. I worked for Canadian companies from 1985-1990 in Canada and from 1991-1994 in US.

2. I contributed to the Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) from 1985-1994. 

3. I became a US immigrant in 1995 and have been contributing to SS from 1995. 

4. I stopped working in 2018. 

Since I tuned 60 this year, I am eligible to receive CPP. However, before I apply I want to find out the following.

A) Will my SS be reduced by the amount of CPP when I start receiving SS at or after 62 due to Windfall Elimination provision in SS.   https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

B) If I do not take CPP and only take SS at or after 62, will my Canadian earnings be used to calculate AIME for SS? 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Intruder
Participant ○○○

Re: Questions About Receiving Canada Pension (CPP) while receiving Social Security (SS)

Best place to get an accurate answers is IRS pub 915 on taxation of SS benefits which is available at irs.gov/ forms. 

0 Kudos
ESAR
Follower ○○○

Re: Questions About Receiving Canada Pension (CPP) while receiving Social Security (SS)

Thank-you both for the links and IRS SS reference. 

0 Kudos
kzug
Explorer ○

Read: 

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/program-explainers/windfall-elimination-provision.html

I will be in the same situation (different country, CH).

Note that you can "only" lose up to 50% of your foreign pension.

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in