cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Participant ○○

My senile plan!

I think when I start to slip or get fed up with market I will sell all our stocks and put half in Dollar General (DG) and half in QQQ. First of year take 3% from both and say to he** with it. Buy the higher price "Wild Turkey", turn on my Dowop music and remember the good old days! If I can remember them! :)

What is your old age plans?

Copie

25 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: My senile plan!

Mine is pretty much like yours. Magic and music. And TIME.

1) Work for 43 years, contributing to Social Security and (for 39 of those years) a retirement plan at work.

2) Just when we needed it least, inherited some money.

3) Living off SS, RMD's from retirement plan. Maintaining conservative allocation within the retirement and investment accounts.

4) Trying to stay mobile.

5) Updating legal documents -- estate plan.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: My senile plan!

 

    Writing on this topic was one of the first pieces I ever posted on M*.    Plans are the same.   News that guvnor Corona-Cuomo demanded that virus-stricken patients be admitted into senior centers just reinforced my horrors of those places.   Not for me.

     As before, when my time of decline comes, my wife is to take me back to her native Colombia; to the old city of Cartagena to be exact ,and find in the historic center a balcony apartment with flowering vines throughout.   I will require my laptop and high speed internet and some books. There will be a live in maid -- a Lupita, a Carmen or a Luz-Dary to make fruit smoothies, rum punch and arroz con pollo with guacamole.  (I'm also partial to diced banana/mango/pineapple salads). And chocolate.  And Colombian coffee. And diet Coke.  And chocolate chip cookies.   Instead of paying $12,000per month in the US, she'll get about $30/day -- but will get a generous raise if she can sing sweet Spanish love songs as she sweeps & works in the kitchen.  A small swimming pool would be a plus.  Also a small dog.   I'll end my days reading Dickens and Shakespeare, napping off, cruising the net, and annoying you-all here on M*.

    All this time the pension and the soc security will keep flowing into the checking account.  As her reward, wifey gets full use of the ATM card to run about living the high life with her Latina Mafia clique.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: My senile plan!


@copie wrote:

I think when I start to slip or get fed up with market I will sell all our stocks and put half in Dollar General (DG) and half in QQQ. First of year take 3% from both and say to he** with it. Buy the higher price "Wild Turkey", turn on my Dowop music and remember the good old days! If I can remember them! :)

What is your old age plans?

Copie


Already living them, just try not to think I am 65 again. Stay simple and trust what I did in the past and not try to be a trader. Keep it simple.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: My senile plan!

Well....it's a rough life if you don't weaken!

Gabe

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: My senile plan!


@Juris2 wrote:

Mine is pretty much like yours. Magic and music. And TIME.

1) Work for 43 years, contributing to Social Security and (for 39 of those years) a retirement program at work.

2) Just when we needed it least, inherited some money.

3) Living off SS, RMD's from retirement plan. Maintaining conservative allocation within the retirement and investment accounts.

4) Trying to stay mobile.

5) Updating legal documents -- estate plan.


@Juris2 

I can imagine other people reading this post and thinking 'count your blessings.'  Many will inherit nothing more than the privilege of playing the role of unpaid mover ... moving unwanted junk to the dump.  

Avenge Yourself... Live long enough to become a problem for your ...

 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: My senile plan!

@richardsok 

Moving to Cartagena sounds like heaven.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: My senile plan!

I thought that it will be piece of cake and much relaxing and enjoyment.  The recent lock-down is a test and a wake-up call.  I began to agree with the typical concern of boredom; sometimes to the degree of restless.  It seems quite real to me.

I hope that I can set up a daily schedule (or rather, a routine) with both rest and joyful activities; definitely not including reading fake news, getting involved with stock market, or reshaping retirement portfolio. 

Some learning with mental exercise, which is fun but not obligatory, seems worthwhile.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: My senile plan!

I love reading about you old guys. Wait...... I’m old too. 😂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: My senile plan!

        Live hard until the end and let my wife and kids sift through the rubble. I already drink whatever I want. My last rational (irrational) act with be to go all in with CEF’s at age 80. It’s formal name is the “Alamo Strategy”.  If I’am going to lose anyway I might as well lose hard also.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: My senile plan!

I have a good senile plan. Trouble is I can't remember what it is.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: My senile plan!

@ctyankeeI'm not saying we didn't appreciate the inheritance, or that we haven't put it to some good use including further securing our retirement. But my parents had made significant contributions to our kids' college education costs. We were surprised that they had a decent amount in their estate, and what we received from them wasn't critical to our own welfare in retirement. btw/ they were also "CT Yankees," as am I (born in CT).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: My senile plan!


@Juris2 wrote:

@ctyankeeI'm not saying we didn't appreciate the inheritance, or that we haven't put it to some good use including further securing our retirement. But my parents had made significant contributions to our kids' college education costs. We were surprised that they had a decent amount in their estate, and what we received from them wasn't critical to our own welfare in retirement. btw/ they were also "CT Yankees," as am I (born in CT).


@Juris2 

Cool.  What town?

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: My senile plan!

My parents were from Waterbury. I was born in Bridgeport. My father's father founded Jake's Auto Body in Waterbury in about 1930. The shop is still there 90 years later, but it's no longer in the family. My father graduated from UConn. I still have some relatives in CT living in Hartford. But in the late 1940's my parents moved to FL and then to CA, which is where I grew up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: My senile plan!


@Juris2 wrote:

My parents were from Waterbury. I was born in Bridgeport. My father's father founded Jake's Auto Body in Waterbury in about 1930. The shop is still there but it's no longer in the family. My father graduated from UConn. I still have some relatives in CT living in Hartford. But in the late 1940's my parents moved to FL and then to CA, which is where I grew up.


@Juris2 

Unfortunately, Bridgeport and Waterbury (a.k.a. Brass City) have struggled.  So, California via Florida sounds like an upgrade.  And living in Florida and California during the late 40's & 50's must have been a fascinating time.   

Enjoy!

ctyankee  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: My senile plan!

"Brass balls, deep pockets"


@steelpony10 wrote:

        Live hard until the end and let my wife and kids sift through the rubble. I already drink whatever I want. My last rational (irrational) act with be to go all in with CEF’s at age 80. It’s formal name is the “Alamo Strategy”.  If I’am going to lose anyway I might as well lose hard also.


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: My senile plan!


@Gary1952 wrote:

"Brass balls, deep pockets"


@steelpony10 wrote:

        Live hard until the end and let my wife and kids sift through the rubble. I already drink whatever I want. My last rational (irrational) act with be to go all in with CEF’s at age 80. It’s formal name is the “Alamo Strategy”.  If I’am going to lose anyway I might as well lose hard also.


      Gary1952 - Had to act a certain way for work, don’t show weakness. I became a great actor. My wife calls me the faker because I learned to be anything the situation called for. She still wants to know the real me though. Lol. So called deep pockets came from dumb luck and the genetic lottery like everyone else. I read all your posts, we’re both doing ok. 





Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: My senile plan!

I've been called a faker too. BTW I like the indented paragraphs. Are you a retired school teacher? ;-)


@steelpony10 wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

"Brass balls, deep pockets"


@steelpony10 wrote:

        Live hard until the end and let my wife and kids sift through the rubble. I already drink whatever I want. My last rational (irrational) act with be to go all in with CEF’s at age 80. It’s formal name is the “Alamo Strategy”.  If I’am going to lose anyway I might as well lose hard also.


      Gary1952 - Had to act a certain way for work, don’t show weakness. I became a great actor. My wife calls me the faker because I learned to be anything the situation called for. She still wants to know the real me though. Lol. So called deep pockets came from dumb luck and the genetic lottery like everyone else. I read all your posts, we’re both doing ok. 






 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: My senile plan!

        Gary1952 -  No not a teacher but my mother and mother-in-law were. My wife’s mother taught fine arts and languages. I suppose it’s how I was “educated” to a point. I mix up Canadian, American and British grammar and punctuation occasionally. Plus spell check. American is a second language. 😂 Mostly they spoke proper English and French around me when I was young. Also I had to write many simplified reports for my bosses so they could understand situations. “Bullet point style, leave out your crap”. Lol.

         My wife does like the multiple personalities. 😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: My senile plan!

I am getting near the 80 mark and maybe some senility has already begun.  Doing a little woodworking in the garage and hope to continue.  Daughter in Raleigh has suggested projects for her 2 year old plus another for a diaper changing station for a newborn.  Everything seems to take more time than it used to.  Trying to simplify life and investments and enjoy what I can.

However, living in Cartegena sounds nice or cashing in everything and going to CEF's could be an option

What I don't want to do is end up in a nursing home.  

Announcements