cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

MOAT versus VTI

No telling what the future holds for these investment, but MOAT has done very well when the five year return is compared. MOAT is a more recent holding and I have found nothing to dislike. I'm sure there are other ETFs to compare to MOAT like SCHD, etc, but for now I'll hold and add to my position in MOAT.

https://www.marketwatch.com/tools/mutual-fund/compare?Tickers=MOAT+USMV+VTI+SCHD&Compare=Holdings

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: MOAT versus VTI

outandabout - could I ask what the original attraction to MOAT was? What your DD entailed? What “very well” means? I’am not going to be critical here just would like to know your process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@steelpony10 wrote:

outandabout - could I ask what the original attraction to MOAT was? What your DD entailed?

Your kidding, right. He likes to compare active funds that are in the top 1 percentile when he compares them to VTI. Not the 2nd percentile, 3rd or fourth, funny how that works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@steelpony10 wrote:

outandabout - could I ask what the original attraction to MOAT was? What your DD entailed? What “very well” means? I’am not going to be critical here just would like to know your process.

Steel, VTI is always a consideration for some investors, but I'm not unwilling to invest in a fund that holds over 3500 stocks.

"Very well" is my comparison to performance.

Holdings of MOAT, SCHD and USMV were all considered, as well as their sectors...………...Yes, I know they can change over time. I currently hold a higher percentage of MOAT than SCHD. I like SCHD's yield over MOAT, but PIMIX and several other investments make up for the lower yield of MOAT.

Just my, opinion for my investments.

Out

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Another ETF that makes a decent showing is iShares Edge MSCI USA Quality Factor ETF, (QUAL) look at this one, not saying it is better than MOAT, or VIG, but is another interesting quality index fund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

outandabout - thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

Steel, VTI is always a consideration for some investors, but I'm not unwilling to invest in a fund that holds over 3500 stocks.

VTI is in the 12th percentile over 15 years before taxes and a top 10 percenter after taxes all while holding 3500 +/- stocks. The fewer stocks a fund holds, the higher the chance of underperforming the Index.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FatKat wrote:

Another ETF that makes a decent showing is iShares Edge MSCI USA Quality Factor ETF, (QUAL) look at this one, not saying it is better than MOAT, or VIG, but is another interesting quality index fund.

I've haven't looked at QUAL for some time, FatKat.  I'm still looking at overlap when considering my other smaller positions in USMV and SCHD...…...likely one of the two will go because of my more recent move to individual stocks. Once the economy gets back on track I expect to reduce my positions in individual stocks and increase my ETF and Wellesley investments.

Take care.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Another to consider would GOAT if one wanted a global investment rather than MOAT. There is some overlap between the two so it might not be wise to hold both.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.