cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

$1,000,000.00 Challenge ?

So, how would you invest a cool $million if your number one priority was Safety . . . with a cap S? Anything legal, conservative, and Safe is fair game. Questions? Ideas? Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: $1,000,000.00 Challenge ?

Laddered CDs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

For how long?

40 Reward Checking Accounts at (4% APY, $25K) each.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

The # of steps and duration may be dictated by your occasional need for some of the $$. I use to use a 3 year ladder but am now down to 2 years.

This is backup cash for my spouse in case of my untimely demise.

Consider jumbo CDs if they offer a better rate. Of course they must be FDIC insured. You might consider 2 or 3 different institutions.

I never go for rates attracting new customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Thanks. Let's say 10 years. Don't need to tap into the funds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@whocansay wrote:

A muni fund. We’ve had different ones on reinvestment for 40+ years. The cities still exist, you have a better chance keeping up with your personal inflation rate then any bank for profit products and they’re tax friendly. 

I don’t think given a ten year horizon the yield will vary much. Make sure you take into account the loss of purchasing power to “safety”. No use having small principle gains after taxes if your cash buys less as a result over time. One mil now may buy 900k worth of products and services in 10 years. Our muni went down in value about 5-10% recently, recovered and has paid 30% in reinvested dividends for the last 10 years Fed tax free. 

If that isn’t Safe enough that’s why banks exist. There really is no Safe though. Cash should be for safety of eminent large purposes or quick turnover to minimize the effects of inflation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Define safe. What is the max loss you are willing to have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

@whocansay wrote:

4 GIC’s @ $250K each. I have one earning 3.5% API, 9 year term. Bought it when I retired as sequence-of-return risk mitigation. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@whocansay wrote:

Then put half in S&P 500 fund and the other half in treasuries. Set and forget. Unless you really dislike making money?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

50% World Stocks + 50% USD Hedged World Bonds

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Thanks. I could deal with 10 - 15% loss.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I'm a Yank.

0 Kudos
Announcements