cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

^HSI ^STI ^SSEC lagging

The Hang Seng, Straits Times and Shanghai indexes simply have not participated in the massive global equity rally of the last month. They’re flat over 3M and, of course, down over 6M.

Yet, this is where much of the world’s best and biggest growth prospects are.

I’m going to nibble at MATFX today, buying some of the shares that @rhythmmethod sold earlier this week. All three indices closed down today, while the rest of the world is poised for a second day of big gains.

IMO the various tensions between the US and China, China and HK, China and Taiwan, etc. will blow over like they always do. There’s not going to be another Cold War.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: ^HSI ^STI ^SSEC lagging

Out of curiosity, do you own any Matthews China Small Companies?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@SilverSquirrel wrote:

No, I owned only Matthews Growth MIAPX / MPACX, until yesterday when I bought a first bucket of MATFX.

MPACX is an unusual fund, mostly Japan & China (80%) plus other Asia (20%), with a long time (Japanese) manager and good results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

MPACX has almost kept up with US LC growth. So, growth is doing better elsewhere too.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@yogibearbull wrote:

MPACX has almost kept up with US LC growth. So, growth is doing better elsewhere too.

Everywhere, I think, Growth > Value in recent years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

I’m going to nibble at MATFX today, buying some of the shares that @rhythmmethod sold earlier this week. All three indices closed down today, while the rest of the world is poised for a second day of big gains.

Yep, you are correct, as you frequently are - dang you - I repurchased some MATFX yesterday as well, luckily, cheaper than I sold them for at a nice profit. I'll continue to BTD up to close to my allocation. I'm starting to realize that 'everything is noise'. Buy cheap and stay with your plan. Back to my training regime.  Stay well!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

I repurchased some MATFX yesterday as well, luckily, cheaper than I sold them for at a nice profit.

Always a brilliant move!

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Yep, you are correct, as you frequently are

That is an outright lie!

In all seriousness, my pro-China gambit here is rife with uncertainty short term. I am more confident long term. In full and fair disclosure I bought $25k of MATFX which is a pretty small slice of my portfolio. Barring a meltdown I will buy 3 more buckets, convert to MITEX, and then let it simmer as an “explore” position for a while. Or I might beef it up ... way too early to say.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

@chang wrote:

@SilverSquirrel wrote:

No, I owned only Matthews Growth MIAPX / MPACX, until yesterday when I bought a first bucket of MATFX.

MPACX is an unusual fund, mostly Japan & China (80%) plus other Asia (20%), with a long time (Japanese) manager and good results.

I have no problems with those funds but I think you should at least look into China Small Companies.  The manager has been doing really well over the past couple of years focusing on domestically consumed products and services rather than those exported.

0 Kudos
Announcements