cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Foreign version of SCHD

Is there a foreign version of SCHD, i.e., dividend growth + quality?

SCHD (imo) works better than SDY or VIG, so I’m hoping there’s a better option than VIGI, which is the only one I am aware of.

Tags (2)
19 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

We have a very nice one available to us at Ireland Vanguard: VHYD. Cannot be purchased on any USA bourse. 

https://americas.vanguard.com/institutional/mvc/detail/etf/overview?portId=9506&assetCode=EQUITY##ov...

BTW. IMHO SCHD is the best dividend yielding fund available to Americans. I like the way they reason things through.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

Hi Chang ...  I guy named Chris on Merriman website has done some research on ETFs and suggested portfolio holdings.  He has selected EFV for Foreign LV.  Check it out.  Good luck.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD


@galeno wrote:

We have a very nice one available to us at Ireland Vanguard: VHYD. Cannot be purchased on any USA bourse. 

https://americas.vanguard.com/institutional/mvc/detail/etf/overview?portId=9506&assetCode=EQUITY##ov...

BTW. IMHO SCHD is the best dividend yielding fund available to Americans. I like the way they reason things through.


That is global [FTSE all-world HYD].  There is the US ETF VYMI that is international [FTSE all-world ex-US HYD].  So, Irish VHYD can be replicated with VYM + VYMI.    https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/VYMI

YBB
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

I didn’t see anything at Schwab. Maybe look over at WisdomTree such as IQDG for example.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD


@yogibearbull wrote:

@galeno wrote:

We have a very nice one available to us at Ireland Vanguard: VHYD. Cannot be purchased on any USA bourse. 

https://americas.vanguard.com/institutional/mvc/detail/etf/overview?portId=9506&assetCode=EQUITY##ov...

BTW. IMHO SCHD is the best dividend yielding fund available to Americans. I like the way they reason things through.


That is global [FTSE all-world HYD].  There is the US ETF VYMI that is international [FTSE all-world ex-US HYD].  So, Irish VHYD can be replicated with VYM + VYMI.    https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/VYMI


VYMI would not be my choice, for the same reasons I prefer VIG over VYM.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

I can find only VIGI, IGRO and PID, as “dividend growth” ETFs.

PID is an oddball, despite its on-point name (International Dividend Achievers™). Its average volume of 150,000 seems low - I would not consider any ETF that isn’t extremely liquid.

Not sure about OEFs.... Does anyone know?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

There is FIDI. It did well today, but negative YTD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

Chang, 

The closest I’m aware of is VIGI (VIAAX). Has an emphasis on dividend growth for 10 years, so some “quality” emphasis. It’s held up OK during recent sell off, I’m still adding to it periodically. Yield is fairly low, but a lot of “quality” companies in it.

Win
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

Taking another swing at your question Chang, I offer up IQDY for your review.  I don't know how you evaluate but thought I would put on table for look.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD


@jmrdnc wrote:

There is FIDI. It did well today, but negative YTD.


M* yield is 6.96% so I’m guessing this is like VYMI - a pure high yield play.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD


@Win1177 wrote:

Chang, 

The closest I’m aware of is VIGI (VIAAX). Has an emphasis on dividend growth for 10 years, so some “quality” emphasis. It’s held up OK during recent sell off, I’m still adding to it periodically. Yield is fairly low, but a lot of “quality” companies in it.


I wonder why the OEF has a front end and back end sales charge. Who would pay that?

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/fees/viaax

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

Maybe to cut down on frequent trading??? It’s pretty low- 0.25%

Win
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

@Win1177 I’m sure that’s why. But it’s odd when the ETF is sitting right there in plain sight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

There are 7 VG OEFs that have such purchase and/or redemption fees. VG claims that since these fees go to funds, they are not loads.

VBLAX, VICSX, VLTCX, VGAVX, VGLRX, VIAAX, VIHAX.

There are ETF alternatives for them.

YBB
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD


@PaulR888 wrote:

Taking another swing at your question Chang, I offer up IQDY for your review.  I don't know how you evaluate but thought I would put on table for look.


@PaulR888 That’s an interesting find. However the trading volume (avg 18,000) is really low. That’s one of my deal-breakers for ETFs or CEFs.

The > 7% yield is also eye popping ... I’m not sure how strong the “quality” screen is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

I’m looking for one stand alone foreign fund, in addition to MATFX. Has anything surfaced that is better than VIGI? @chang TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD


@rhythmmethod wrote:

I’m looking for one stand alone foreign fund, in addition to MATFX. Has anything surfaced that is better than VIGI? @chang TIA


@rhythmmethod Quick (but possibly wrong) answer — no.

VIGI turns out to be pretty blendy-growthy when you look under the hood. I don’t think it really qualifies as a “foreign version of SCHD.”

I ultimately decided to rely solely on VGWAX for my foreign value exposure. Added to it on Friday.

But VIGI looks like an excellent vehicle for foreign exposure. I would opt for it over many OEFs and any index fund.

As I already have several foreign growth funds, though, I have decided that I’ve got everything covered already. I just need to keep BTD.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD

FGILX is global, but my screen shows EFG, IQLT, IGRO, IDHQ, and QEFA as being similar.

I am only familiar with FGILX, so I cannot comment further.

Holiday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Foreign version of SCHD


@Holiday wrote:

FGILX is global, but my screen shows EFG, IQLT, IGRO, IDHQ, and QEFA as being similar.


I didn’t examine all of these, but I did pick up on IGRO earlier. It looks more SCHD-like than VIGI (which is pretty growthy - not necessarily a bad thing). IGRO yields 3.24% to VIGI’s 2.17%. Never mind that one gets 4* and the other 3*, because they fall in different M* categories.

IGRO has a short, index-hugging life. VIGI appears to be the more successful fund .... but, again, not really “foreign value”.

A single, good, low cost, “core” FLB fund would probably serve most people who want a foreign fund. VIGI / VAAIX seems to be a good option.

@Holiday FGILX has certainly flown under the radar. $65 million in assets since inception in 2012!

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/31618H481

0 Kudos
Announcements