cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

morningstar dividend newsletter

Does anyone still use the morningstar services? I did years ago but after Josh left I didn't like the feel or the articles/picks so I let the subscription run out.

I was wondering if it has improved? maybe gone away? I don't hear much about it anymore.

I must admit, I do miss it. I used it for giving me ideas and then would go study. Does anyone have recommendations on that type of service? 

I know this has been talked about in the past but as i did a search, nothing showed up.

dp

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: morningstar dividend newsletter

Like you, and many others here, I used to subscribe back when Josh Peters wrote the newsletter. I continued my subscription for some time after he left, but found it not helpful.  I haven't looked for it since.  Hopefully, someone here has more recent info on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I've subscribed to M* Fund Investor for years and like it a lot. Although it covers "only" 500 funds, there's enough info to start your due diligence by finding and comparing funds to fit your allocations and goals. Fidelity, Vanguard and TRP funds are well represented. 

Monthly articles from Russ, Christine, John and others are also helpful especially from a macro perspective. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

MDI is sadly much diminished from its state under Josh.  Back then I would eagerly await each issue of Josh's wisdom and the copious additional commentary he gave in his weekly updates.

Now, the emphasis on quality at a fair price seems gone, replaced by what seems like an emphasis on buying cheap stocks that pay dividends, and very little explicit thought seems to go into the qualitative forward-looking analysis of the sustainability of the dividend anymore, as Josh used to do so painstakingly as the first priority, and then walk us through his logic step by step. 

The great record that Josh accumulated over 12 years or so including the financial crisis, where he outperformed the S&P 500, has been completely given back even over the time including his tenure.  The 1 and 3 year return records are poor compared to the S&P 500, but they roughly approximate the return of the DJ US Select Dividend index or ETF to which they also compare it.

I have never used MDI as something I followed slavishly, even under Josh, but I have cherry-picked the best ideas he had and done other stuff too.  These days there is less and less overlap between my portfolio and the model portfolios.  And I hold stuff in much different position sizes.  Although I do own Pfizer, Verizon, some of the same utilities, and a few others.  

I am favorably impressed that Mr. Metrou went up in quality during the crisis and started positions in Home Depot, Texas Instruments, and McDonald's.  So perhaps further opportunities will come to upgrade the portfolio in terms of quality, which would also seem to correlate with dividend safety.  

Almost certainly I am rather naive, but I live in hope that the wisdom of Josh's intellectual legacy may be re-discovered in the house of M* and followed more assiduously going forward.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I've been a subscriber to M*, but never a subscriber to the M* Dividend Investor. Prior to retirement I only invested in mutual funds.

However, as I was seriously thinking about retirement, my focus shifted from accumulation to income generation. I exited my mutual funds and began investing in individual dividend growth stocks. At that time M* introduced its "new and improved" version of its website. As part of my evaluation process I like to calculate a stock's 5Yr and 10Yr CAGR.  For some odd reason M* decided to stop publishing the historical data I needed to perform these calculations, so I began looking for another source via Seeking Alpha and came across a site called Sure Dividend. I liked what I saw and became a subscriber to Sure Dividend.

I like Sure Dividend because they provide a qualitative assessment of a stock along with the financial data I need to conduct my analyses. When selecting a stock for purchase, I usually compare Sure Dividend's assessment to M*'s more limited assessment. I consider it a positive signal when the two sources agree.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I am still a subscriber to DI.   Frankly I use the bellweather list and the research analysis more than trying to emulate their portfolio .  Not interested in SBUX of McDonalds in the mid 2%s on dividends.   For me its worth the subscription price for the research writeups and the bellweather list - at least for now.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GreenMnt1 wrote:

I am still a subscriber to DI.   Frankly I use the bellweather list and the research analysis more than trying to emulate their portfolio .  Not interested in SBUX of McDonalds in the mid 2%s on dividends.   For me its worth the subscription price for the research writeups and the bellweather list - at least for now.   

I agree with this as I'm still a subscriber to MDI.  While diminished from its former glory, I still get value from it.  And the Bellwethers List is valuable.  

The more direct commentary on his thought process from Mr. Metrou the better as far as I'm concerned, and it does seem like there has been more of late.

The website is useful in that it allows you to sort the model portfolios and the bellwethers list by valuation, moat classification, uncertainty level, and yield, although the sorting requires a bit of experimentation and is a bit idiosyncratic.  

While it could be improved and I would encourage that, it is at least a check on some of what's out there that I can compare to the constituents of my own portfolio and candidates I have found elsewhere.

It is better than nothing.  You would think there might be a market for a better mousetrap, but despite a lot of bloviating, copy/paste graphics, and cheesy meme photos on Seeking Alpha I haven't found much with really quality thought behind it.  Always on the lookout though.

Highlighted
Follower ○○

I subscribe to the news letter. I used to subscribe the Fund Investor for few years and then stopped it and added MDI.

I have not been impressed by the recommendations or the quality. It has been only 2 and half years though, so I will give another 2 to 3 years. As of now, it has not been good in preserving capital nor the dividends. 

I also use Value Line and their Investment portfolio 2 (in the Select & Opinion) news letter has been much more stable in capital preservation and dividend growth. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Thanks for the input everyone.

I would like to hear from more people on the Sure Dividend. I watched some videos and checked out the site and it seems to be quite a bit like the old DI as far as the fair value and security of the dividend.

Hope everyone is healthy. Enjoy the weekend, it's Friday and happy hour can't come soon enough.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I’m also a subscriber to “Sure Dividend”, and so far have found it to be a reasonable replacement to Morningstar Dividend Investor. Sure Dividend tends to emphasize “quality”, and they haven’t had too much turnover, which is important to me. I renewed earlier this year. 

Also subscribe to AAII “Dividend Investor”, tends to also pick stronger stocks with an emphasis on valuation too. Between the two, I feel like I’m partially replicating what we used to have with MDI.

I tend to emphasize “strong wide moat” companies with long histories of dividend growth (prefer 10 years or more), that also are financially strong. Main issue is “valuation”, trying to buy those when they are “relatively cheaper”, that’s the harder part!

Win
0 Kudos
Announcements