cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

What you buying now

Picked up some JPM (JPPMorgan) on Friday at $86.  Still in a buying mood.  Thinking of USB (U.S. Bancorp) but not sure I want more banks at this point.   Looking for some cheap dividend growers.  

So whatcha buying

Stats

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: What you buying now

Purchased corned beef and cabbage; adding some potatoes, onions and carrots; having it for supper tonight.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Not exactly what I was going for, but cute none the less.   😀

stats

Highlighted
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I am selling into the rally - not buying a thing. Call me doubting Thomas.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I have been reducing my effective-equity exposure on this rebound. Then, I would be in a better position to buy if there is a selloff; but I have enough equity exposure if it is just up up and away from here.

But I did add to GE at $5.xx on Friday, a very contrarian move for long-term.

YBB
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Wow! You are brave! Call me Thomas a' Kempis

Thomas von Kempen JS.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

But I did add to GE at $5.xx on Friday, a very contrarian move for long-term.

YBB - I am sure you used 'play money' to buy GE. I personally would not put serious money into it - they were in trouble prior to COVID, and now their aviation business will take a big hit due to unpredictable recovery in airplane orders for the next several years.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FatKat , @SteadyEddy , don't worry. I am not a GE-lifer. My overall cost basis for GE is only about $8. If Culp makes it and becomes rich, I would do great too. If not, then I would be OK too. 

But on topic, I haven't been buying anything other than this really bottom of the barrel GE buy.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

HPS:  JH Preferred Income III Fund....a preferred stock fund (leveraged).

R48

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

i believe PRWCX is a big believer in GE, so you're in good company at least!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@FatKat  Sounds to me like you made a short term investment in the agricultural sector, and are prepared to eat your losses...

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 wrote:

@FatKat  Sounds to me like you made a short term investment in the agricultural sector, and are prepared to eat your losses...

@mlott1 Sometimes that best a lucky fella can do is have something good to eat. Fried chicken anyone?

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

I picked up some JPM at 87, 84ish and WFC at 24, 23ish. I expect turbulence but hope both look good in a couple years. Also a bit of FPF and added to O on dips. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

One thing in this wild market I only add 5 to 10 shares at a time. Have my prices I will buy and if not then I am in no hurry. Still look for this market to dip a lot more this year. Pray I will be wrong!

Past added JPM, WFC. Will add more over time if they come down. Bought KMB twice in $135 range. This for me is a core stock that will not make you rich, but give you some sound dividend money in paper products sales! With PG and SJM makes a good team(IMO). 

On growth side look at adding more  CSCO and RTX. Would like to add QQQ at $195, but may be dreaming at that price! :)

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Hi Copie,  longtime investor in KMB, it was the first stock I bought in 2003.  

Just to be clear, I am not looking to buy when the market is up but am researching now what I would buy when/if the market goes down significantly.

Stats

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I believe we are in for another downturn in the next 90 days perhaps driven by the China/Hong kong response, or spikes causing re-shutdowns.  I am currently buying   BIV and BND and VMBS, with the expectation of rates being lowered and investors gravitating to bonds if the downturn materializes. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

I am currently buying   BIV and BND and VMBS, 

Why BND? Every time I compare BIV to BND (or VBILX to VBTLX) the I-T fund looks better. Not a big difference, just slightly better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

I believe we are in for another downturn in the next 90 days perhaps driven by the China/Hong kong response, or spikes causing re-shutdowns.  I am currently buying   BIV and BND and VMBS, with the expectation of rates being lowered and investors gravitating to bonds if the downturn materializes. 

What DownTurn? FAANGs and tech stocks will continue to grow because they will power the economic recovery. Companies that generate robust growth in this stay at home economy such as AAPL, AMZN, NFLX, MSFT, QQQ will go higher along with Pharma and companies involved with rebuilding the economy such as HD, WMT and LOW.

The downturn will occur in stock sectors that are a large part of VTI such as airlines, autos, leisure, retail for which there will be a long lag time until they reach their lower new normal which will drag down the VTI.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@bilperk wrote:

I am currently buying   BIV and BND and VMBS, 

Why BND? Every time I compare BIV to BND (or VBILX to VBTLX) the I-T fund looks better. Not a big difference, just slightly better.

Bonds will underperform because the fed will keep rates lower for foreseeable future which will result in bond yields lower than the rate of inflation. Dividend stocks will provide higher yields at cap gains tax rates with equity kickers over the long term. Only reason to buy bonds is if retiree doesn’t mind living on lower income In retirement.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.