cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Walgreens WBA !

No ones seems to love WBA anymore!  Its down to 5% yield today with past new dividend increase. I have( IMO)  enough in my Roth to not add anymore at this time, but is anyone else interested ?

Copie

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Walgreens WBA !

Used to own CVS and WBA years ago, so they remain on my watch list.

Seems that CVS has transformed itself with buying PBM Caremark and health insurer Aetna. It was also in the news recently on Covid-19 tests done in CVS parking lots. Until the most recent health insurance change, Aetna was our health insurer and CVS Caremark our PBM; now we are with UNH.

WBA instead continued to buy other chains in the US [Duane Reede, some of Rite Aid, etc] and expanded in Europe via Alliance Boots. It fought with some PBMs [Express Scripts, eventually bought by Cigna (at one point, CVS was interested)]. I thought that at some point WBA would expand into PBM itself, but never did.

We now use WBA for all of our prescriptions but its billing system stinks. Normally, things go through insurance and I pay my part at WBA when I pickup the meds. But once in a while, things revert to WBA billing system. There is no customer account at WBA and each billing invoice has its own number, so cannot use BillPay effectively. There are zillions of invoice numbers floating around and it is a mess if you have to call the Billing Dept.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Some issues I see with Walgreens are the following:

1. Poor online presence which included closing down the domain 'drugstore.com' -- which now just redirects to walgreens.com.
  2. Walgreens did not pivot with front of the house items still being low quality and at higher price point than competitors.  It seems like a lot of dollar store crap (and junk food) is sold in the front of the house at Walgreens locations which doesn't distinguish the store from any competitor like CVS, Target, Walmart, etc..
  3. WBA is a high debt laden company so a buyout doesn't look to promising in the future
  4. WBA needs to merge with some other health care companies whether it be and insurance provider or a large chain of Urgent Care providers or a PBM.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I don't like either one of these chains.  I won't use them for my own needs, why would I want to buy stock in these companies?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I think market was unhappy with the choice of the former Rite-AId exec to run the Walgreens US operation. I am unhappy, anyway.  Years ago I stopped at a Rite Aid, and felt it was a pit.  The local Walgreens in my suburb, all four dozen of them, or so it seems, are not places I want to be inside. DIdn't used to be like that.

0 Kudos
Announcements