cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Utilities: a current review

I know Bruce is a Portland Oregon resident, not to excuse him but maybe it explains a preoccupation with political subjects because of recent events. 

If you are following this, Bruce, please don't dissapear. Your contributions to Morningstar forums have been valuable to many of us, and would be sorely missed. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@DJANG0 wrote:

I know Bruce is a Portland Oregon resident, not to excuse him but maybe it explains a preoccupation with political subjects because of recent events. 

If you are following this, Bruce, please don't dissapear. Your contributions to Morningstar forums have been valuable to many of us, and would be sorely missed. 

Agreed. I don't agree with Bruce's political positions but he has always been helpful, kind and responed to my question. Peace and stay healthy! -rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I am also a big fan of Bruce and I hope you stick around as you are one of the best things about this message board.

Here is M* analyst Andrew Bischof's Industry Report on the Utilities sector.  

Utility Dividend Leaders and Laggards

In a post-pandemic world, most utilities’ dividends offer investors an attractive income alternative...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Win1177 wrote:

Agree with GreenMnt1, lets AVOID all the political comments/ bickering.

I own the following utilities- DUK, SO, D, and AEP. All look fairly strong here, although I was disappointed with the recent dividend cut at Dominion (D). Planning on holding all four, and will add if they come down some more- DUK at $75, D at $68, AEP at $&0, SO at $47. 

I would like to say I believe DUK and SO would be good utilities to hold over this winter. Utilities should hold up better than most stocks, if we have poor market performance next year. We all know the reasons behind this, no reason to clarify so, utilities in general might be worth corsiderind, along with other defensive stocks. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I see utilities as “bond substitutes” in this market. With high quality bonds selling at terribly low yields, I hold some stocks more for their stability and stable/ slowly growing dividend yields. Utility stocks fall into that category for me, especially the four (SO, DUK, D, and AEP) I mentioned. I would LOVE to add to each of them, but at lower prices. 

Dominions decision to cut its dividend was a surprise to me, and normally I lean strongly towards selling after a dividend cut. But I’m holding it for now, will “monitor” their capital allocation decisions/ earnings/ debt/ etc. going forward. They are in the “penalty box” to some degree, but NOT ejected from the game.

Win
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Are DUK and SO dividend consider "Qualified" or "Non-Qualified"?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

They both pay qualified dividends

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@swanqxt04 wrote:

Are DUK and SO dividend consider "Qualified" or "Non-Qualified"?  Thank you.

All us domestic stock companies pay qualified dividends. Dividends of foreign companies whose stock Is regularly traded on a us exchange are taxed as Qualified dividends.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Recently have bought PNW and EIX.   Both are above 4.5%.   Happy with a long term hold and collect the dividends. 

0 Kudos
Announcements