cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Things may be getting interesting again...

Hi Groupthink,  I'm making a shopping list. So far it includes:

O (Already own)

RTX (Already own)

HON

JPM

WFC

FPF (Already own)

SCHD (my catch all income ETF) (Already own)

MSFT

Possibly WELL or VTR

What's on your list? Also post buys if you like.

Stay well, rm

33 Replies
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Things may be getting interesting again...

if things dip enough again:

O

STK

BRK.B

nothing surprising here.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I like some of your picks; Welltower Inc and Ventas Inc seem to be good buys now for income and Honeywell International is a good stable stock, which might be undervalued now.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

rhythmmethod - “whether you hurry or whether you wait it doesn’t matter to fate” I believe that’s from Aesops Fables courtesy of my grandmother. Fate led me to fabulous discounts 3-4 weeks ago. I see most are still frozen in place. Waiting for a new market high I suppose. 
     I waited collecting excess cash since the end of 2018 and that correction and bet it all. Oh I just added some to what I had and shuffled parts of some losers into worse losers. The net result without any knowledge of future possible cuts was a gain in income of 3-4k a year. Hope to see you at the next performance of “Frozen”.👍

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@steelpony10 wrote:

rhythmmethod - “whether you hurry or whether you wait it doesn’t matter to fate” I believe that’s from Aesops Fables courtesy of my grandmother. Fate led me to fabulous discounts 3-4 weeks ago. I see most are still frozen in place. Waiting for a new market high I suppose. 
     I waited collecting excess cash since the end of 2018 and that correction and bet it all. Oh I just added some to what I had and shuffled parts of some losers into worse losers. The net result without any knowledge of future possible cuts was a gain in income of 3-4k a year. Hope to see you at the next performance of “Frozen”.👍

I can't argue with you @steelpony10 . While I am possibly underinvested (>60% cash), my largest single holdings are APPL and AMZN. I did some good buying in March, not enough it appears. I saw and admired your CEF purchases that you referenced.  Congrats. My simplistic thinking is that as long as I'm as much cash as I am now, I might as well wait until earnings start coming in but create a shopping list now. Maybe this market will get on B’s 30,000 train quickly, but I'm willing to take the other side of that bet. In reality I could just put the whole mess in PIMIX, go kayaking, and be fine. For a guy that's never worked except beating drums I've done OK with creating income and investing. I admit this thing has me scratching my head though. I also enjoy the craft of investing. Or at least I used to. I also backed up the truck in Dec 2018, which led to over 23% gain with a 50 - 50 AA last year. With regards to my post, do you have and thoughts on those or other stocks? Thanks for your comments. Frozen but thawing.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

If you have enough to live on I would vote for PIMIX or invest in any sound company offering more near that yield now like 4-5%? I’am not really a fan of individual stocks for amateurs. We used  Aristocrats and utilities for our parents. How about compiling a list of value Aristocrat stocks and taking large positions in a few? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@steelpony10 wrote:

rhythmmethod  - now that we can’t spend money except on the basics can I ask what your personal inflation rate is on those basics, an approximation. Also what is the approximate “normal” yield of your dividend stocks and “normal” composite raises of that batch?

Currently, guessing here, I'd say about 2%. All cars paid for, small mortgage that we could easily pay off, really nothing else. Before I went to so much cash my yield on stocks, FI OEFs and CEFs was >4.5. Currently it's looking more like 2.4 according to M*. That's why I was looking at stocks like VTR. O, etc. I'm buying back some PIMCO OEFs like PIMIX, PMZIX. If the CEFs drop again, or settle somewhat, I may increase them but not currently. In fact I just traded some for their OEF counterparts. Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We went to CEF’s in the 8.5% range with about half our portfolio to build excess income for possible LTC as I mentioned before. An insurance policy. It’s in PONAX and a national muni. My wife could spend all that, two ETF’s and some growth stocks before she has to watch her spending. Three holdings and cash building up in a taxable count and 14 CEF’s, cash building up and PONAX in a TIRA . We’re set beyond age 90 without LTC of course. Front loading, more risk, compounded for 15+ years really pays off if it happens that way. When my kids see those CEF’s they’ll freak out and go more conservative for my wife I suppose. Then she can spend down their money. Lol. 

With our parents we ran into trouble when they hit around age 84 and my dad entered LTC at 8k/month. Being  raised in the Depression era made them to conservative. Luckily CEF’s although inappropriate in my opinion for them were around to slow the bleeding. We got out of that situation when my dad passed at age 85.

Our normal total yield with a growth ETF and growth stocks included is in the 5-7% range and we spend 2.5-2.7% of that to date. Our raises come from reinvestment and taking capital gains.

* our stocks are AMZN, MSFT, AAPL, V, MA, CRM, UNH, SBUX, and FB. All “borrowed” from the best smart money growth funds and ETF’s and held for up to 30 years. I’am a true Buffethead.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Word, @steelpony10! I really appreciate your insight. The biggest takeaway for me is to get past my shock and own my plan. Thanks again.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

rhythmmethod - Ha.Ha. Well no human would like it. I’am just numb to high jingo situations. Trillions are in MM accounts losing to personal inflation rates which has to be invested in some capacity for higher returns eventually. Covering in a broad sense bonds and equities my values are guaranteed to go up. Although you can’t hit an exact bottom you can be amongst the first back in. Capital gains are another one of our income streams. For all practical purposes except for the one occasion like our parents we’ll never have to spend down. We just are trying to correct a flaw that psychologically they couldn’t. Their funds as primarily income investors with a variety of income streams still lasted from 1982-2017.

I never answered your post. If I had to choose my choices would be O (or SPG which I like better), JPM and of course I like MSFT which we’ve owned since about 1988 and currently has excellent management. I’d look at UNH and SBUX also. The rest I see as mediocre. 

Nice post, good luck.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

My list and I am going to try and stick to it!

T:25, SO:49, DUK:75, WTRG:40, MMM:118, KMI:12.50, OKE,20.00, JPM:89, WFC:26, ITW:116, JNJ:126, CSCO:36, ADM:29, MSFT:150, IP:20, WRK:20, KMB:130, NEE:160, D:74.

Roth conversions: KO:39, HON:120, PG:99, V:140, WM:85, WBA:43, PEP:102.

Copie

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@copie wrote:

My list and I am going to try and stick to it!

T:25, SO:49, DUK:75, WTRG:40, MMM:118, KMI:12.50, OKE,20.00, JPM:89, WFC:26, ITW:116, JNJ:126, CSCO:36, ADM:29, MSFT:150, IP:20, WRK:20, KMB:130, NEE:160, D:74.

Roth conversions: KO:39, HON:120, PG:99, V:140, WM:85, WBA:43, PEP:102.

Copie

My Man, @copie  The man with with Letters AND the digits. Stay safe, big brother!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Yo, @steelpony10 - So SPG, has me intrigued. Sure, shopping malls will be closed for a while, maybe a good while.  Sometime they'll reopen. Also online retail will hurt mall traffic. But SPG seems to be a best in class outfit. >12% div. Let's say it gets cut in half. I'm thinking of putting a low limit in the 50s for it and waiting. What do you think? @copie, is this interesting to you?  What about @cliff? Take care guys!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@rhythmmethod 

A 50% dividend cut for a retail REIT is wishful thinking. Go back and read Bruce M's contributions to the Dividend Cuts conversation.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

rhythmmethod - SPG is an international landlord of upscale malls, gathering points, restaurants, exercise facilities etc. tailored to the upscale classes with excellent management. A cut above the class that Amazon dominants, a few cuts above the people that shop at Walmarts. Where people meet to be seen and see. Those people.

Sure it's subject to government dictates and may lose some to online shopping. Also remember when investors go "bargain" hunting like the people swarming around GE in the past your wearing a blindfold reaching into a poisonous barrel. 

If you want even more stress take a look at BA for capital gains and who has just eliminated their dividend. A future bail out target due to it's national defense expertise and importance plus a sure vote gainer. Meanwhile they have plenty of time now to dedicate to that computer fix since all are idle still.

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Hi Copie!

Are those stocks that you currently own and the prices you paid for them?
Or are they your list to purchase and the prices you WANT to pay for them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@twinlabs wrote:

Hi Copie!

Are those stocks that you currently own and the prices you paid for them?
Or are they your list to purchase and the prices you WANT to pay for them?

Not copie, but I think WANT is the answer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I have lived long enough to see small business move into malls and now move out of them!  Not any interest on my part in holding them. The older people like me(following my wife around) can not shop for long periods of time. The younger ones order on line.

Twins I own all of the stocks listed except: ADM, KMB, and MSFT. My plan was to go out with 40 or more stocks and then go up or add to them over time. No planes, trains or automobiles! :)

I take X number of dividends each month and give to my kids. Hard to see them(kids) enjoy them from the grave! The other dividends are used each month to buy which stocks are on sale or I think is the best value. At my age it helps to keep my mind sharp! 

Copie 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@copie wrote:

I have lived long enough to see small business move into malls and now move out of them!  Not any interest on my part in holding them. The older people like me(following my wife around) can not shop for long periods of time. The younger ones order on line.

Twins I own all of the stocks listed except: ADM, KMB, and MSFT. My plan was to go out with 40 or more stocks and then go up or add to them over time. No planes, trains or automobiles! :)

I take X number of dividends each month and give to my kids. Hard to see them(kids) enjoy them from the grave! The other dividends are used each month to buy which stocks are on sale or I think is the best value. At my age it helps to keep my mind sharp! 

Copie 

Thanks, @copie It looks like your JPM order got triggered at 89. Mine is a little lower. I'm greedy. I consider it best in class (or close) I'm also thinking about WFC as a dividend play. (I just saw you had it on your list at 26.00) What do you think about that strategy? Thanks, big bro! PS - It looks like you're still plenty sharp!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I just bought JPM at $88.59. Would not surprise me if it and Wells F. went lower. 

Copie

0 Kudos
Announcements