cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

LET'S CELEBRATE BUYING HIGH YIELD AT A LOW!

Greetings Brothers and Sisters, At the risk of going a bit off topic on this forum I’d like to propose a thread dedicated to buying stuff low. That is a concept I can understand. If it pays a nice dividend, in keeping with the forum’s true mission, so much the better. Please no B&H evangelical talk, PUP (or CATS). Please no TA charts. I love T&A as much as the next guy but it’s distracting from investing. I dedicate this forum to @cliff who I understand has “buy low, always’ tattooed on the top of his index finger. But @copie , @BruceM  @KathieL  and others also get it. We need encouragement with all the wait ‘till it’s high, then buy' stuff floating around. What do ya say…. I’ll start below. I post the secruity, price, M* rating if appropriate and yield. Onward.

44 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: LET"S CELEBRATE BUYING LOW!

Added to OHI at $23.50 (could have been lower.) Rumer has it that CV is hurting the retirement home medical facilities. I have a hard time understanding how a pandemic can be long term negative on medical care facilities...

OHI $23.50 

10.78% yield

M* 5*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My multiple low-ball limit-buys got filled for muni CEF NMZ yesterday.

https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=NMZ&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p93834470752

YBB
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I like buying low too!  Bought more of Chesapeake Energy Corp. PFD (CHK.PD) for $5.72 last week. Initial purchase price was $19. Pays a $1.125 quarterly dividend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

well, so, i bought tiny amounts of defense stocks like LMT, northrop grumman and general dynamics, along w/ equally tiny amounts of becton dickson and edwards lifesciences.  plan to buy more of each on (expected?) decline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thoughts on PPL and BCE as buys?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I've always bought mutual funds so this is new to me.  I should have been at it earlier, but that little dip awhile ago picked up three of my first stock buys.  Clorox, Disney, and Coca Cola.  

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I also ended up today with Broadcom and Danaher in addition to the three I mentioned above.  Was thinking about adding a couple of healthcare stocks but I think I'm better off letting FSMEX folks handle that for me.  Glad I added a little to that yesterday.  I am also thinking things are going lower, but wanted to get a few in the account that I will be happy to add to on further dips.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

My limit order for QQQ got filled in yesterday close to closing. I had not remembered that I set it. up a month back. I was bit nervous this morning about the order getting filled since we may see more downer days again. But looks like it's up 8% today at closing. At least weekend will be stress free😂

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Not if anybody shakes your hand or coughs near you.  

@ESAR wrote:

My limit order for QQQ got filled in yesterday close to closing. I had not remembered that I set it. up a month back. I was bit nervous this morning about the order getting filled since we may see more downer days again. But looks like it's up 8% today at closing. At least weekend will be stress free😂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Enterprise Products EPD: $14.45 and 12.3% yield

Note: I did not know the topic was income investing, and this thread might have merged, making it more specif, my error, I have other high dividend stocks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

LAMR this am. $57.  Did work on it a few years ago; 3rd time I've owned it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I've been averaging into Hanesbrands. Bought more Friday at close to days low. Wish I'd had more cash. I'd like to have picked up more D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Interesting.  I've been poised over HBI, on and off for years; just couldn't quite buy in due to a terrible chart. Why I keep coming back to look, I don't know.  Something about companies with old fashioned brands.  Leggs?  Wonder Bra?  Sheesh.   I have had new interest of late. Actually bought a little last week and sold again a day or two later probably at a loss.  I'd have to check.  I may be in again behind you soon.  Hope not.  Getting married to a stock is something I fight against.

20 seconds, ya'll.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Greetings Brothers and Sisters, At the risk of going a bit off topic on this forum . . . . . . 

rm, just buying a security without significant yield at a price that turns out to be low at some time in the future is indeed off topic.  This forum's purpose encourages us to "find ways to collect an income thru dividend and income investing."  Inviting rabble and the hoi polloi to participate distracts serious investors whose primary focus is on income.  I do personally forgive you for this transgression and perhaps others will also.  I'm not going to actively campaign for others to forgive you but it's okay by me if they do.  Do let's stick to income focused stuff around here in the future, though.

Over the last couple of weeks I think I've posted every buy I've made on those biggie down days, to the penny on price and tenth of a point on yield, on other threads.  I won't relist them all.  Here are a few that I particularly like:

Enbridge preferred EBGEF: $14.50 and 9.2% yield

Vector Group VGR: $10.35 and 7.7% yield

Kinder Morgan KMI: $13.92 and 9.0% yield

Enterprise Products EPD: $14.45 and 12.3% yield

Magellan Midstream MMP: $40.33 and 10.2% yield.

The prices available to income investors over the last several weeks makes me wonder about that efficient market crapola I read about once.  The common of Vector Group (VGR), a crapass company reviled by anyone with an ounce of common sense, can be had at only a 7.7% yield while the preferred, the preferred mind you, of Enbridge (ENB), with investment grade debt, was scooped up at a juicy 9.2% yield.

Other examples abound.  I won't bore anyone and I don't want to go off topic on your sorta off topic direction.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I'm new in it. I like the yield. I have around 32 different yielders and have been averaging in to this one with some extra dividend cash.So far I'm underwater but will try to buy more if it stays down. They just signed a deal with Amazon to sell their Champion products. Good luck!
@BB2 wrote:

Interesting.  I've been poised over HBI, on and off for years; just couldn't quite buy in due to a terrible chart. Why I keep coming back to look, I don't know.  Something about companies with old fashioned brands.  Leggs?  Wonder Bra?  Sheesh.   I have had new interest of late. Actually bought a little last week and sold again a day or two later probably at a loss.  I'd have to check.  I may be in again behind you soon.  Hope not.  Getting married to a stock is something I fight against.

20 seconds, ya'll.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

I like both PPL and BCE.  If I had any cash, I'd consider adding to both.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

After noticing the carnage on Thursday, I moved 10% of my 401K from Money Market into the S&P 500.

The clincher for me was an obscure announcement by Goldman Sachs, that the Bear Market was over.

On Thursday, the S&P closed at 2480.64

... So far, so good!

I still have more cash, so am thinking over good Limit orders to set.

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Yogi,

When I tried to put in a limit order in my IRA for NMZ this is the response I got:

Error:(013048) The security you are attempting to trade is a tax-exempt security. Retirement accounts are prevented from buying tax-exempt securities through the electronic channels. For more information, contact a Fidelity representative at 1-800-544-6666.

So I guess I have to buy it through my taxable account? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

@yogibearbull wrote:

My multiple low-ball limit-buys got filled for muni CEF NMZ yesterday.

https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=NMZ&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p93834470752

anatfizz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Greetings Brothers and Sisters, At the risk of going a bit off topic on this forum I’d like to propose a thread dedicated to buying stuff low. That is a concept I can understand. If it pays a nice dividend, in keeping with the forum’s true mission, so much the better. Please no B&H evangelical talk, PUP (or CATS). Please no TA charts. I love T&A as much as the next guy but it’s distracting from investing. I dedicate this forum to @cliff who I understand has “buy low, always’ tattooed on the top of his index finger. But @copie , @BruceM  @KathieL  and others also get it. We need encouragement with all the wait ‘till it’s high, then buy' stuff floating around. What do ya say…. I’ll start below. I post the secruity, price, M* rating if appropriate and yield. Onward.

rythymmethod, I take it PUP means how I invest.  I will surely honor your request to stay off this thread.

But I sure don't understand how "cliff" has "buy low, always tattooed on the top of his index finger?

cliff has posted of buying KMI at $42/share...then more at $40...then 37...thru twenties, and now sits at $14 .78 /share.  How does anyone "buy low?"

Recently, on 10 Jan 2020 this year, cliff posted buys he made, thread here:

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Income-Dividend-Investing/WANTED-7-Yielders-Apply-here/td-p/388...

He bought:  --ET at $13.27/share............................now $6.98/share (per M*)

--TRGP at $39.65/share........................now $12.48

--IRM at $30.66...................................now $28.88

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have posted often of how my first buy in bear markets is made based on "compelling value" (nothing to do with PUP)...but I never promote that this is the absolute "buy low."  Just don't know how this is done.

At your request, I'll stay away...bye.

R48

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.