cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

'Just the facts, ma'am . . . . '

Dan Aykroyd channeled Jack Webb's Joe Friday with "just the facts, ma'am."  In Joe's honor, here are some facts:

> In the about 240 days since Morningstar put the kibosh on the legacy forum, there's been 26,000+ posts on this 'new' sucker

> Less than 1,100 humans have posted anything at all -- bet y'all thought this was a much larger community, huh?

> Three posters have been algorithmically declared "Valued" -- together they have posted 4,400+ times, 17% of all posts.  In other words, 1 of every 6 posts is banged out by three posters.

> One poster is responsible for almost 10% of all posts.  Although not a fact, it has been rumored that the "YBB" sign-off stands for Yogi's Big Blog.

> yogi's average is 10.3 posts per day, while FD and chang weigh in at 4.4 and 3.7 posts per day, respectively.

> For non-valued posters (that is, all of us except three), the average number of posts is about 20 since the beginning.  In other words, one post about every two weeks.

> Only about 260 folks have more than 10 posts.

> There is one poster who has made just one original post but who has posted no replies whatsoever on any other thread.  This poster received 13 kudos with just that one post, a kudos-to-total post ratio of 13-to-1, a record I believe.  Of course, that original post basically said the rest of us were world-beating investors who generously shared our wisdom and strategies with others, for which the 13 kudos guy was grateful.

> Of FD's more than 1,000 posts, only 88 have mentioned his sales of Amazon or Tesla or Apple at all-time highs.

> Of course, there are some who somewhat regularly read stuff here and aren't motivated to post.  How many might that be?  A million?  100,000?  10,000?  Interpreting some data that is available, I guess around a thousand.

> Less than 700 humans have given one or more kudos to another human on this forum.  I'm one of the ones who has not.  A kudos without an agreed-upon metric for what a kudos really should be strikes me as not very meaningful..  Without a universal meaning of kudos, I'm adopting my own criteria.  I will only give a kudos when someone posts something that is guaranteed to make me money.  (There is one poster who will soon receive a kudos from me.  I can't do it quite yet because the security he mentioned is thinly traded and I haven't completed my buying yet.) 

24 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: 'Just the facts, ma'am . . . . '

Even without the metrics, I gave you a big kudo Cliff for crunching up the numbers.

Keep up the good work :) 

@cliff wrote:

Dan Aykroyd channeled Jack Webb's Joe Friday with "just the facts, ma'am."  In Joe's honor, here are some facts:

> In the about 240 days since Morningstar put the kibosh on the legacy forum, there's been 26,000+ posts on this 'new' sucker

> Less than 1,100 humans have posted anything at all -- bet y'all thought this was a much larger community, huh?

> Three posters have been algorithmically declared "Valued" -- together they have posted 4,400+ times, 17% of all posts.  In other words, 1 of every 6 posts is banged out by three posters.

> One poster is responsible for almost 10% of all posts.  Although not a fact, it has been rumored that the "YBB" sign-off stands for Yogi's Big Blog.

> yogi's average is 10.3 posts per day, while FD and chang weigh in at 4.4 and 3.7 posts per day, respectively.

> For non-valued posters (that is, all of us except three), the average number of posts is about 20 since the beginning.  In other words, one post about every two weeks.

> Only about 260 folks have more than 10 posts.

> There is one poster who has made just one original post but who has posted no replies whatsoever on any other thread.  This poster received 13 kudos with just that one post, a kudos-to-total post ratio of 13-to-1, a record I believe.  Of course, that original post basically said the rest of us were world-beating investors who generously shared our wisdom and strategies with others, for which the 13 kudos guy was grateful.

> Of FD's more than 1,000 posts, only 88 have mentioned his sales of Amazon or Tesla or Apple at all-time highs.

> Of course, there are some who somewhat regularly read stuff here and aren't motivated to post.  How many might that be?  A million?  100,000?  10,000?  Interpreting some data that is available, I guess around a thousand.

> Less than 700 humans have given one or more kudos to another human on this forum.  I'm one of the ones who has not.  A kudos without an agreed-upon metric for what a kudos really should be strikes me as not very meaningful..  Without a universal meaning of kudos, I'm adopting my own criteria.  I will only give a kudos when someone posts something that is guaranteed to make me money.  (There is one poster who will soon receive a kudos from me.  I can't do it quite yet because the security he mentioned is thinly traded and I haven't completed my buying yet.) 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I was the first to Kudo the OP. We all miss your posts. Your style and humor set you apart and have brought a smile to many. Sharing your investment strategy through the years has also been educational.

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.---Warren Buffett"

veni vidi vici vti
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I give kudos to posts that inform and/or amuse.

As there is no Ignore button, I also use it as anti-Ignore. If there is an attack post I don't like, I give kudos to the poster or argument under attack as an indication of support.

Kudos is singular. So, is kudo a word?    https://www.dictionary.com/e/kudo-vs-kudos/

YBB
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I have a confession. A couple of weeks ago I attained the Valued status by sheer number of posts. Because I felt my contribution had not truly attained a Valued status by knowledge or “yogi-like” content I voluntarily devalued myself permanently. Plus I never wanted to confused with FD1001 since I never post trades until I can book a huge profit.  

I possibly attained Valued status by Kudos given since I do kudo a lot. 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Great post.

Thanks/kudos from my temporary home of Switzerland.

(I only replied to get my number of quarterly posts above 2, I think...).

Grüezi...    

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

I have a confession. A couple of weeks ago I attained the Valued status by sheer number of posts. Because I felt my contribution had not truly attained a Valued status by knowledge or “yogi-like” content I voluntarily devalued myself permanently.

Don't sell yourself short. The forum needs experienced and objective posters such as yourself. From now on I guess you'll be considered "undervalued" member?.............))

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.---Warren Buffett"

veni vidi vici vti
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

I have a confession. A couple of weeks ago I attained the Valued status by sheer number of posts. Because I felt my contribution had not truly attained a Valued status by knowledge or “yogi-like” content I voluntarily devalued myself permanently. Plus I never wanted to confused with FD1001 since I never post trades until I can book a huge profit.  

You do a lot of Kudos and repeating others and when you finally state an opinion you paddle back.

Are you insinuating that I lie? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Lighten up. This is funny witty thread. You know people on M* kid you about using a Waybac machine. I am not insinuating that you lie at all. I just thought it was a witty addition to the post. Heck I even gave you a kudo on a new thread  

Happy New Year and let’s make more than 6% in 2020. 

@FD1001 wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

..........Are you insinuating that I lie? 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

A friend recently posted a quote that we all might consider. I paraphrase.

Let your words pass through three gates before expression.

Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it kind?

Too often attempts at humor fail. I know because it is a bad habit of mine.

Regards,

Lamar

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@62dawg wrote:

A friend recently posted a quote that we all might consider. I paraphrase.

Let your words pass through three gates before expression.

Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it kind?

Too often attempts at humor fail. I know because it is a bad habit of mine.

Regards,

Lamar

I deleted my earlier post here because I thought @cliff might take offense. I meant it in jest; however, when I read it I deemed it may cause trouble I did not desire. I wish the OP the best in his investment.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Capital, I saw your previous light-hearted post and when I went back to give you that guaranteed investment to make us money, it was gone.

I asked Ryan how that could happen and he said one could delete one’s post within 24 hours.  I only asked him because I was intrigued with the concept of getting rid of some personal schiffy posts of mine so I could get down to a one-for-one kudos to total post ratio.

Anyway, it’s OTC:EBGEF right around a 7% yield.  Guaranteed.

Oh, and by the way, it’s not in my nature to be offended by anything on Morningstar. There’s only about a thousand out of 7 billion people that see this schiff.  More people will see my famous Dr. Pepper baby back rib recipe than my stock tips.

EDIT TO ADD:   Nobody has given me a kudos for three proper names - six words - in the first seven words of my original post.  This has gotta be a record. C’mon you people, pay attention. That took some doin’.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@kzug wrote:

Great post.

Grüezi...    

I lived in ZH from 2001-2003, and travel there twice a year since then... and may soon receive a job offer to go back. But I hate the cold and snow. What to do...?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

“ > Less than 1,100 humans have posted anything at all”

Don’t you mean “fewer than”?

I thought messing up “less” and “fewer” was one of your grievances?

I’m going to give you a kudo despite this egregious bloomer.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Cliff,

Congrats!  You just achieved a 100%+ Kudos-to-Post ratio.   Thanks to Yours Truly.

ScreenHunter 731.png

Please try not to f*ck it up by replying to this post!  However, you may give me a Kudo and immediately double your depressing "Kudos Given" stat.

You owe me big time.  I was there for you when the chips were down.

N.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@cliff wrote:

Capital, I saw your previous light-hearted post and when I went back to give you that guaranteed investment to make us money, it was gone.

I asked Ryan how that could happen and he said one could delete one’s post within 24 hours.  I only asked him because I was intrigued with the concept of getting rid of some personal schiffy posts of mine so I could get down to a one-for-one kudos to total post ratio.

Anyway, it’s OTC:EBGEF right around a 7% yield.  Guaranteed.

Oh, and by the way, it’s not in my nature to be offended by anything on Morningstar. There’s only about a thousand out of 7 billion people that see this schiff.  More people will see my famous Dr. Pepper baby back rib recipe than my stock tips.

EDIT TO ADD:   Nobody has given me a kudos for three proper names - six words - in the first seven words of my original post.  This has gotta be a record. C’mon you people, pay attention. That took some doin’.

@cliff  Thanks for the stock tip. I saw some other discussion about this elsewhere  on M. I still have some cash and may nibble on this myself. I see what you mean about thinly traded. Looks like it traded about 11k shares yesterday; and, that seems to have been a heavy trade day.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@chang wrote:

@kzug wrote:

Great post.

Grüezi...    

I lived in ZH from 2001-2003, and travel there twice a year since then... and may soon receive a job offer to go back. But I hate the cold and snow. What to do...?

I'm originally from Zug, now have dual citizenship (CH/US), live mostly in US, thus avoiding the cold most of the time.

For you, better double your rent allowance for ZH...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@kzug wrote:

Great post.

Grüezi...    

We're heading to Switzerland tomorrow, just for a week to welcome the new year.  Will be staying near Lausanne.  As for the cold and snow, it's just during a few months; and it's a quick hop to the Med countries.

• Buy a really nice coat
  • Make a habit of visiting the baths & saunas
  • Cuddle up with your wife by the fireplace.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Thanks to the generosity of the smart, sophisticated and good-looking regulars of the Income forum, I'm in the position of having a 'free post,' one that won't seriously impact my personal metrics.  Sort of like a foul to give in basketball or a spiked ball in football.  So, some more of 'just the facts' and a few observations:

Fact:  The three posters anointed "Valued' by Morningstar include an out-of-work teacher and hall monitor, an out-of-work astrophysicist and body builder and an out-of-work Sortino and Sharpe Ratio novelist and used car expert.  Observation:  The commonality here is obvious.  They're all unemployed and have lots of time to post a lot.

Facts:  Fox News is the number 1 cable network with 2.5 million viewers while CNN, with less than a million viewers, managed to squeak into the number 9 slot, ahead of Nictoons but far behind the Home and Garden Network and the Hallmark Channel.  Observation: I'm reminded of that Wisdom of the Crowd theory; I need to re-read that book.

Fact: The only way to be 'Valued' at Morningstar is to become a post-a-lot person.  Observation: For those who want to reap the reward of posting a lot but don't know what to post, some suggestions:

(1) Each week start two threads titled "From Readers Digest Part 1" and "From Readers Digest Part 2" and just copy some stuff into your posts.  (There will be many duplicate posts because Readers Digest only publishes 10 times a year, but content doesn't matter -- only total post count matters);

(2) Every day start a thread titled "The best article I've read today" and link to a Washington Post story with anonymous sources -- it doesn't matter which article, just pick one;

(3) start a monthly "FD's Buy/Sell/Why" discussion; and

(4) on every thread on any subject on each forum, post at least once regardless of what you know or don't know about the subject.  To avoid someone calling you out for making a stupid remark, stick with safe posts, such as "I agree with many of the previous posters” or "I've learned something from you all today" or "Wow, I'm going to copy that into my investing book so I can review it later."  Stick to bland crap, getting caught up in controversial stuff will just sap your energy and cause you to lose focus.

Fact: With this post I'm 5 over my budgeted one-post-per-week for 2019.  Observation:  I'm done.  I need to get away from the keyboard and begin the prep of ceviche de camaron y jaiba for the college football playoff marathon about to begin.

Happy New Year, you people.

EDIT TO ADD:

It likely makes some investors feel all zippy and smart and satisfied when they look at 10-year market returns.  You know, like measuring from a historic market trough to a historic market high.  Like about 10 years ago until about now.

But a few facts and observations mixed together . . . . About 12 years ago, the Dow hit something over 14,000 and now sits above 28,000.  The compound annual growth rate of the Dow Jones average over that period is around 6.3%.  Yup, just 6.3% growth of price action over that period.  Throw a couple of points of dividends on top of that and the Dow total return is probably right around the long-term historic average for the equity markets.  Not really something all that spectacular and zippy.

I'd be willing to bet that there are more than a few income investors around here who put around 5-6% in cash in their pockets on an annual basis over that period.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

I don’t know cliff, pandering for kudos is legal, but is it ethical?

Announcements