cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Follow up on my sale of Apple stock and replacement

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you know what I did on Monday.  I sold enough go my Apple stock to take it down to about 6% of my portfolio - not quite to my 5% target. My thread about this was asking for recommendations to replace Apple that would generate some nice capital gains. I received lots of recommendations for replacements.

I sold Apple for about $130/ share; my cost basis was about $15 a share.  

Over the weekend, I thought more about what to buy and remembered that it wasn't realistic to aim for capital gains - you might them, might not, so I went with the idea of buying a good company with a dividend and good growth prospects.  It came down ro Cisco or Intel.  I opted to buy Cisco and noted that it pays a full percentage point higher yield.  

Thanks for your input on my decision.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Follow up on my sale of Apple stock and replacement

Well done!  I kept my AAPL and added to CSCO after seeing my “friends” Win and Copie added.  Still watching MSFT, but it might be like waiting for Godot!

Again - well done!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Slooow wrote:

Well done!  I kept my AAPL and added to CSCO after seeing my “friends” Win and Copie added.  Still watching MSFT, but it might be like waiting for Godot!

Again - well done!

I don’t sell AAPL . Prefer to buy It at discount when market drops.

I sold out all my NFLX shares Early last week at 530 because I thought it was over bought and watched it go to 550 before heading Down. NFLX is now at 504 and I have a large pile of cash to buy stock when right opportunity arises.

I put in a limit order to buy MSFT at 230 earlier this week but never got it. It’s Now at 212.

Bought MSFT at the close @ 215. Couldn’t resist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

If you have any additional money, INTC would also be a good “add”, especially if it comes down in price. I’m hoping to add some more to my positions in INTC (and CSCO). I see both of them as good long term holds.

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

why do you see CSCO and INTC as good buys?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Last week as part of my passive management, I sold:

MSFT

AAPL

AMZN

GOOGL

FB

and I bought:

UNM

LNC

COTY

COF

DISCA

CCL among others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Both are below their five year average P/E, yields are decent (CSCO- 3.53%, INTC- 2.64%), both with long histories of paying rising dividends, good cash flow, well covered dividends, and will continue to grow in the future.

Win
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Win gave a good answer to your question.  I am retired and I get a goodly portion of my income from dividend stocks.  This purchase was not primarily a dividend purchase, but one that pays a dividend and offers the potential for capital gains.   Both CSCO and  INTC are good stocks, with a nice cash flow, and both are down from their highs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I have started nibbling at CSCO.

But CSCO of today feels like MSFT under Balmer, well run, but missing all future opportunities. May be they will be able to cash in on 5G/LTE.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I sure hope that CSCO isn't like Microsoft under Ballmer!!  I owned MSFT back then, and I always made sure to vote against him on the Board of Directors ballot!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@KathieL wrote:

Win gave a good answer to your question.  I am retired and I get a goodly portion of my income from dividend stocks.  This purchase was not primarily a dividend purchase, but one that pays a dividend and offers the potential for capital gains.   Both CSCO and  INTC are good stocks, with a nice cash flow, and both are down from their highs.

Kathiel - remember 70% of the time growth probably will outpace dividend income. I guess I’ve made a wrong assumption that most amateur investors want to make as much money for their clients (themselves) as professionals do. I believe your original post stated “to generate capital gains”. The S&P returned just under 15% the last ten years probably beating the returns of most professionals and certainly amateurs.

Growth investments have regularly returned much more the last 30 years. If you look at the list of top investments of the investing generation behind us you probably won’t see a dividend stuck in there. This to me guarantees growth of dynamic company values the rest of my life and my net worth. It seems I’m one of the few that enjoys spending more then accumulating less. Lol.

0 Kudos
Announcements