cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Favorite Stock you will buy again if the market dips?

Advertising drop is definitely possible. If no one is buying cars or going on vacations and so on then those companies are not going to advertise much.

Then both Google and Facebook will be impacted.

If advertising drop is temporary till economy comes back from Covid shock then it could present a buying opportunity in these stocks.

I do not see advertising shifting to some other channel. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○

My favorites are: MSFT, ADBE, AMZN, NVDA, CDNS, ASML, BAH, TMO, LLY.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

Advertising drop is definitely possible. If no one is buying cars or going on vacations and so on then those companies are not going to advertise much.

Then both Google and Facebook will be impacted.

If advertising drop is temporary till economy comes back from Covid shock then it could present a buying opportunity in these stocks.

I do not see advertising shifting to some other channel. 

The risk is that there will much less ad revenue going forward because the travel and leisure sector will be much smaller post covid.

there are news reports circulating 6/24 that justice dept and state atty generals are meeting Friday to discuss antitrust action against GOOG.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Great thread, surprised there isn't more of a response, although the posts that are on here make for some good reading.  As for me, I'll take another bite of Coca-Cola if it goes below $45 per share.  Don't know why that's my cutoff, but it is.  And I can be flexible.  Right now it is the only stock that I own, my other equity holdings are in my allocation funds.

I would also take a hard look at PEP, combine that with KO and you have excellent coverage of carbonated soft drinks, sports drinks, coffees, teas, juices, waters, etc.  And with PEP you get the number one company in salty snacks.  Other companies might have one or two, or even a small stable of products in these areas, but between Coke and Pepsi, seems to me like you have the good, big stuff locked up.  

I'm going to deviate a bit from the topic and mention mutual funds.  Since my small portfolio is set up to hold long term, I will use any significant drop in stocks to buy some more.  I own American Funds Capital Income Builder (CAIBX), Franklin Income (FKIQX) and Franklin Utilities (FKUQX).  CAIBX seems to be familiar to a lot of people on the forum, so I won't spend a lot of time on it.  Franklin Templeton seems to have done the same as Capital Group and made some of their funds no load through the Schwab platform.  I've followed each of the Franklin funds for a number of years, so I am familiar with them.  

Franklin Income pays dividends monthly, and they put a real emphasis on current income.  In this new world of income investing, I figured why not give a chunk of money to them?  In "normal" times, whatever that is, the NAV is generally in the $2.20 - $2.38 range, but I have seen it dip below $2.00.  That became my Mendoza Line for buying.  I already have a few thousand with them, but I am open to more buying.

I'm most flexible with the utility fund, FKUQX.  It has a surprisingly good long term record, and I don't have a specific price point, although it looks a whole lot better under twenty dollars a share.  

I'm not going to try to be a trader, other than buy the above on dips.  As I've said on other threads, if the stock market doesn't come back down, I'll just enjoy the ride with what I do have.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We were always pretty much fully invested until my mid 50’s. We loaded up on MSFT, AAPL and INTC back in the late 80’s after Black Monday when we decided we could never be spend down investors, rely on dividend stocks or Mr. Market. We needed to get as far ahead of our requirements as we could as fast as we could. We became income investors like my parents and in-laws at that time. During the bank crisis we made a big investment in AMZN (and CEF’s). Only AMZN, MSFT and AAPL remain of those 4. 

This seems to be a thread for more conservative investors though and the stocks mentioned were the type we invested in the first 10 years until we switched to a more risky approach and were rewarded with capital gains for the next 30+ years. But any stock or fund that yields more then your personal inflation rate to start and increases their dividend faster then your expenses will do. Answering the question I choose AMZN for anyone interested in capital gains for the coming years. Waiting for opportunities as a retiree is no longer an option. It’s the short term now.😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 wrote:

Great thread, surprised there isn't more of a response, although the posts that are on here make for some good reading.  As for me, I'll take another bite of Coca-Cola if it goes below $45 per share.  Don't know why that's my cutoff, but it is.  And I can be flexible.  Right now it is the only stock that I own, my other equity holdings are in my allocation funds.

I would also take a hard look at PEP, combine that with KO and you have excellent coverage of carbonated soft drinks, sports drinks, coffees, teas, juices, waters, etc.  And with PEP you get the number one company in salty snacks.  Other companies might have one or two, or even a small stable of products in these areas, but between Coke and Pepsi, seems to me like you have the good, big stuff locked up.  

I'm going to deviate a bit from the topic and mention mutual funds.  Since my small portfolio is set up to hold long term, I will use any significant drop in stocks to buy some more.  I own American Funds Capital Income Builder (CAIBX), Franklin Income (FKIQX) and Franklin Utilities (FKUQX).  CAIBX seems to be familiar to a lot of people on the forum, so I won't spend a lot of time on it.  Franklin Templeton seems to have done the same as Capital Group and made some of their funds no load through the Schwab platform.  I've followed each of the Franklin funds for a number of years, so I am familiar with them.  

Franklin Income pays dividends monthly, and they put a real emphasis on current income.  In this new world of income investing, I figured why not give a chunk of money to them?  In "normal" times, whatever that is, the NAV is generally in the $2.20 - $2.38 range, but I have seen it dip below $2.00.  That became my Mendoza Line for buying.  I already have a few thousand with them, but I am open to more buying.

I'm most flexible with the utility fund, FKUQX.  It has a surprisingly good long term record, and I don't have a specific price point, although it looks a whole lot better under twenty dollars a share.  

I'm not going to try to be a trader, other than buy the above on dips.  As I've said on other threads, if the stock market doesn't come back down, I'll just enjoy the ride with what I do have.  

I like KO and PEP, both good reliable dtockholdings. Franklin Utility fund has a great record; they have a few other nice funds. FKGRX a growth fund and another good one, Franklin Dyna Tech, I believe had done well in recent years.  I don't know much about their income fund?

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@FatKat  Glad to know you are familiar with the utility fund.  It and the income fund had been on my watch list for years, but I wasn't going to pay a load, so, same as with the Capital Group of funds, I just waited for something to happen.  Anyway, the Franklin Income fund is as advertised, they place an emphasis on current income.  The fund was formed in 1948 and has paid a monthly dividend ever since inception.  It is a large fund, although it no longer shows up on Kiplinger's top 20 stock funds.  I believe it is categorized as a 15-30% equity allocation fund.  It does not hold up particularly well in stock market downturns, which is why I was waiting for a stock market downdraft before buying (kinda like the aristocrat on the Titanic, who said, "I know I ordered ice, but this is ridiculous").  I simply plan on buying when the fund is under $2 per share, although I might buy some over $2 as long as it's not too far over.  I can be happy with what I already have, but I would like to add a bit to the position.

Under the older classification system, the fund was "conservative allocation", which was a bit misleading, YBB used to caution that for its category, it was not particularly conservative, you can have some big swings on the NAV.  I believe that they lost something like 30% during 2008.  But I like their investment style and approach, again, I'll just buy at the good lower price and then hold on.  

I've also long admired the American Funds Capital Income Builder (CAIBX) fund.  This is another (at least for now) buy and hold for the long term.  I also really like what I read in some of their literature, that it could be considered a "personal endowment fund".  I like that concept.  

The Franklin Utility fund seems to be a utility fund that pays a lot of attention to basic blocking and tackling, and as you note, they have a very good long term record.  Seemed like a good candidate to go into a long term buy and hold portfolio.

As far as KO, that's a hometown investment of sorts for me, as I am from Georgia.  Love the company and their products.  

Probably way too long, but those are my thoughts.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 as soon as Ibget my computer next week, I'm going to investigate the Frankin Income Fund.  I heard about it providing a good monthly income  I will have to check my current income tax situation, as it needs updating . 

Thanks for the detailed post!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Ref my mentions of the Franklin Income fund, they are actually classified as "allocation: 30-50% equity".  I don't think that they try to take taxes into account, at least I'm not aware of them claiming to be tax advantaged.  I don't have a very large taxable income, so it is of limited consequence to me.  May be more important to others.  

In the past, they seemed to be able to find various fixed income investments that others did not, I just had the feeling that they maybe dug a little deeper and/or harder than some others.  Anyway, I decided that it would be one component in a monthly income investment portfolio.  It's not hard to make an argument that other fixed income funds are perhaps a bit better, but again, I think I have a feel for the fund after following it for well over 20 years.  

Since this is a newer configuration of the fund, for long term stats and performance look under the ticker "FINKX".  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@steelpony10 wrote:

We were always pretty much fully invested until my mid 50’s. We loaded up on MSFT, AAPL and INTC back in the late 80’s after Black Monday when we decided we could never be spend down investors, rely on dividend stocks or Mr. Market. We needed to get as far ahead of our requirements as we could as fast as we could. We became income investors like my parents and in-laws at that time. During the bank crisis we made a big investment in AMZN (and CEF’s). Only AMZN, MSFT and AAPL remain of those 4. 

This seems to be a thread for more conservative investors though and the stocks mentioned were the type we invested in the first 10 years until we switched to a more risky approach and were rewarded with capital gains for the next 30+ years. But any stock or fund that yields more then your personal inflation rate to start and increases their dividend faster then your expenses will do. Answering the question I choose AMZN for anyone interested in capital gains for the coming years. Waiting for opportunities as a retiree is no longer an option. It’s the short term now.😉

great post but wait, you can't tell your story in this forum, the people here are looking for high yielders

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

V, MSFT, AAPL, KO

most likely to add to Visa as it is one of our smaller positions. 

stats

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I now realize that I gave an incorrect ticker for Franklin Income A1, as the older version of the fund has been relabeled.  It should read "FKINX".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

That became my Mendoza Line for buying.  I already have a few thousand with them, but I am open to more buying.

I haven't heard that baseball reference in a while!  If only those slick fielders could hit!

On topic-- for me it's PEP, JNJ, PG.  

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: Favorite Stock you will buy again if the market dips? [FKINX MA, Not CA]

FKINX is one of those funds that is mislabeled/misunderstood.

M* puts it in 30-50% equity category based on its nominal-equity of 32.89%. But its bonds have a good chunk of HY, and substantial Other include convertibles [hybrids]. I find its effective-equity as 69.25% [from ratio SD_fund/SD_sp500]. So, it acts like moderate-allocation [MA], not conservative-allocation [CA]. If one is aware of this, then fine, otherwise one may be very surprised. Chart

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@yogibearbull  Thanks, Yogi.  I always liked the way you would add pertinent information when this fund would come under discussion.  And it is certainly a fund that is easy to misunderstand if you approach it as just another income fund.  It's not for everyone, but I like it a lot.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Here's my list of the companies that I have purchased since the Big Dip

TRTN-D, BANX, TDE, CTZ, CTL, SYF-A, T, BGS . NYCB is on a short watchlist.

Mostly equal weight with my other 40 income (hopefully) holdings.

Steve

0 Kudos
Announcements