cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Anyone regretting not selling some of their FAANG stocks?

I am glad I tried to bring my Apple stock down to 5% of my portfolio.  I sold a bunch on Sept 1 & 2, but not enough to get to the 5% mark.  I'm pleased with my sale, though I don't feel the need to sell any more right now.  But I'm wondering for those of you who hold any of those stocks in a quantity you consider to be more than what you would usually hold, are you regretting not selling some (or more) of your stake in these?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Anyone regretting not selling some of their FAANG stocks?

Good question and one that has crossed my mind - not weighed on it though.  I believe in the FAANG companies I hold and plan to hold for the long term.  I sold a little AAPL earlier than the big runup when I needed some cash and on the basis that was my largest holding.  I think the FAANGs are well positioned to continue innovating and capitalizing on our changing lifestyles and demands.  If some “went on sale” I would buy more even though I have a large amount of my portfolio in them. Jeremy Siegel, who I admire, thinks the FAANGs won’t keep up with the S&P over the next year, but will still do alright.  He was less sanguine about other tech stocks that have boomed.  My guess is he is basing this on valuation and demand.  He didn’t really say as I recall.  So, long way of saying, no regrets.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I sold all my NFLX at 530 10 days ago. It’s down to 480. It’s in a Roth so no taxes. Kept the rest of my FAANGMs. No regrets. AAPL is 10%. Bought some MSFT at 204 and 215. Waiting to see where market goes. CVX is attractive at 78. NDVA is down 20% in a Week.May be a bargain.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I don't own any individual FAANG stocks.
However, some of my mutual funds include FAANG stocks in their portfolios.
These mutual fund managers will decide when it is time to sell the stocks.
No regrets!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Intruder wrote:

CVX is attractive at 78.

Yielding 6.45%. However it's been under its 200mda all year, and just crossed below its 50dma in August after an attempt to stay above it since June. Chart

I've lost so much money betting on energy stocks and funds in my lifetime, I can't make it much worse by trying one more time. But I will need to see a lot more Chevron blood in the street, plus some sign of a bottom*, before I do. (Yes, I realize that the bottom is only clear when you're up 40% off of it.) 

Highlighted
Participant ○

I have sold enough AAPL over the years that it's all "house" money now and it's still my largest position in my taxable account by far and my largest annual dividend. Next is ORCL. It seems like only yesterday that it was XOM and CVX that held those spots but they keep paying me every quarter.

I did sell a little AAPL in my two Benef IRA's to get enough cash for my RMD's. Not at the high but close enough.

As far as regrets, I've had a lot worse in the last 25+ years of investing in the stock market. (LINE, TGI, RIG, etc)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

CVX is attractive at 78.

Yielding 6.45%. However it's been under its 200mda all year, and just crossed below its 50dma in August after an attempt to stay above it since June. Chart

I've lost so much money betting on energy stocks and funds in my lifetime, I can't make it much worse by trying one more time. But I will need to see a lot more Chevron blood in the street, plus some sign of a bottom*, before I do. (Yes, I realize that the bottom is only clear when you're up 40% off of it.) 

So? CVX  was at 125 a year ago. Reason for decline in price is due to global recession which has reduced global oil demand by 20% over last 12 months. Price of CVX today is same as it was 4 years ago. CVX is my only energy stock and is about 1% of my assets.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

No!

AAPL is 6% (our largest single stock position), MSFT is 4.6% of our portfolio, GOOG/ GOOGL is 1.5%, but I haven’t sold any of them due to their becoming too concentrated. Stocks go through periods of relative overvaluation and undervaluation, and I’ve learned to “ride it out”. Our AAPL cost basis is now $2.89/ share after the split, so like others have said, it’s “mostly house money”. MSFT is $5.34/ share. GOOG/GOOGL is $283/ share.

I see the FAANG (plus MSFT) stocks as still relatively overvalued, but I will not sell unless I see an underlying “issue” with a company. I will also consider selling some if it gets closer to 10% of the portfolio, so AAPL is the only one getting close to being trimmed up.

Win
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Glad to see that some posts are not going with the trend/style of the day/week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Win - please pipe up if you see any underlying issues!  Your observations carry weight with me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

Glad to see that some posts are not going with the trend/style of the day/week.

Recent correction in tech stocks, TSLA was due massive $50B increase in Call options by a large institutional investor which encouraged the day traders,Robin Hood crowd to pile on to cause a meltup. Tech sector still has solid earnings which will increase as economy improves. TSLA is an an outlier whose value declined by 25% after the 5:1 split because it didn’t become an SP 500 stock. TSLA will continue to be a market force as long as there are investors who believe there is a future for electric cars.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

We too pared some of our larger positions.   We sold Apple (AAPL) down from 11% of our portfolio to 5%.  We sold Microsoft (MSFT) from 10% to 5%, and Clorox (CLX) from 9% to 4%.   We bought added to Starbucks, Pfizer, Merk, Realty Income, McDonalds, Coca Cola, IBM, and 3M.  

Very happy with all the trading.  Increased our dividend income and reduced risk.    Basically all we did was rebalance our stock portfolio to be more equally weighted.   No reason to second guess the buying and selling.  

stats

Highlighted
Contributor ○

"Fortune Favors The Bold"......So....this go around stayed with my FAANGM

GABE

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Great way to put it Gabe!  Seeing us all in a boat, cresting that wave....You made me smile.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold most of the funds I purchased on the big downturn, yet this was a small percentage of my equity holdings, which are longterm investments and only sold for RMDs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I note that while we all did slightly different things, all seem happy with their decisions.  This is good; people responding here seem clear on what their investing goals are.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@youth wrote:

"Fortune Favors The Bold"......So....this go around stayed with my FAANGM

GABE

Oh no...

j/k.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Good choices Statsguy! I also added to PFE, KO, MCD, and MMM earlier this year. Have some more “low” buy orders for more PFE and MRK, as well as more VZ, DUK, D, and SO. But those will only go through if we have more of a selloff.

I still view the FAANG (and MSFT) stocks as Fully to modestly Overvalued, so I won’t add there. Would love to add some more to GOOGL, but would need to sell down to ~$1000-1100 per share. Not interested in Netflix, would love to add Amazon but not at current prices.

I try to keep my individual stock holdings at 1- 4%, and stop adding once they get to above 3- 4% of our portfolio. I will consider trimming when they get above 7-8% of our portfolio.

Win
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Thanks Win.   It looks like we have similar portfolios.  Everything we bought or sold above, we have held shares in those companies for over a decade.

I should have been more clear.   When I say 10% of our portfolio, I meant 10% of our individual stock portfolio.  Since the stock portfolio is about half of our portfolio. Then it would Have been more accurate to halve my numbers above. 

stats

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Saying that fortune favors the brave used in ancient Rome

0 Kudos
Announcements