cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CherylJ
Follower ○○

Suggestion re Screening for ESG

Solved

I applaud Morningstar’s improved functionality to drill down for ESG funds.  However, I have been very frustrated by the screening process, especially on the cloud-based program.  Screening is based on portfolio make-up and holdings, which can change at a whim.  So a portfolio might qualify as ESG-positive today, but have that undone tomorrow as the management discipline dictates that non-ESG holdings be purchased.

A very simple solution would be to add a screening capability that identifies funds that have a Sustainability Mandate.  Then a person could screen for funds within that arena and feel pretty comfortable that they aren’t going to end up with a totally non-ESG portfolio!

Without that, I find any screening in the ESG arena to be close to meaningless. 

Solved or there is a best answer. Go to solution.
1 Accepted Solution or Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
ChadLowry Employee
Employee

Re: Suggestion re Screening for ESG

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for posting this. The ability to screen for mandated ESG funds is available in Morningstar Office Cloud today. You can find this by searching for the data point "Socially Conscious."

SociallyConscius.gif

You can further refine this screen by looking for a data point called "Ethical Issue Strategy Focus." This allows you focus on funds that specifically designate themselves as ESG funds.

EthicalFocus.gif

Thank you,

Chad Lowry
Morningstar, Inc.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChadLowry Employee
Employee

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for posting this. The ability to screen for mandated ESG funds is available in Morningstar Office Cloud today. You can find this by searching for the data point "Socially Conscious."

SociallyConscius.gif

You can further refine this screen by looking for a data point called "Ethical Issue Strategy Focus." This allows you focus on funds that specifically designate themselves as ESG funds.

EthicalFocus.gif

Thank you,

Chad Lowry
Morningstar, Inc.

View solution in original post

CherylJ
Follower ○○

Thanks so much!  Finally someone scratched where I have been itching!  :)

MM
Follower ○○

Any additional detail around ESG is always welcome! Have you considered adding fields that indicate how ESG is incorporated into funds with ESG intention? I am thinking of positive screening, negative screening, ESG integration, and impact investing. Also, with the large number of firms adding ESG prospectus language to existing funds, have you considered adding an "ESG adoption date" field indicating when ESG considerations were first used? I find that the industry growth rates are overstated due to fund conversions.

Thanks!