Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blairroland
Follower ○○

Portfolio Management - Manually Entering Holdings in a Portfolio

My problem is regarding duplicate holdings in portfolio management. I am creating a new account by positions and manually entering holdings to the portfolio. Lets say there are ten holdings each with 500 shares for simplicity and the first one is Apple stock and then you enter the the other holdings with 500 shares and finally the tenth holding is Apple stock again with 500 shares. The problem is when you click finish and Morningstar doesn't add together those holdings it literally deletes the duplicate holding of apple. So after you click finish and run a snapshot of the portfolio it only shows the first entry of apple at 500 shares. It should add together the holdings and show 1000 shares of apple on the portfolio snapshot. ****There is an easy way to avoid this and that would be for myself to just add the shares together and enter it as one entry of Apple at 1000 shares but I shouldn't have to do that especially when I'm dealing with hundreds holdings within one portfolio with multiple duplicate holdings.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EWF0718 Employee
Employee

Re: Portfolio Management - Manually Entering Holdings in a Portfolio

Hi Blair,

Thank you for sharing your product issue with Morningstar Community. 

I believe you are referring to Direct desktop's portfolio holdings capabilities. Direct should automatically recognize a duplicate holding and sum the duplicate line items' weightings together before the creation of a Snapshot report.

I carried out the same process you mentioned in your post and Direct properly recognized Apple in both holding lines and correctly combined the weightings in the Portfolio Snapshot report.

If you need further assistance, please contact our support line at 1-866-229-0216.

Best regards,

Connor

0 Kudos