cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomInSeattle
Follower ○○

New TRX interface breaks from UI conventions, *REDUCING* usability

Hi Friends, Morningstar Office 

First, let me say that Morningstar is one of my absolute favorite business partners, and I'm overall a delighted customer.

That said, the new UI for TRX is a significant disappointment.

I have yet to come across a way in which it makes my work easier.

My biggest challenge with it turns out to be a result of you all breaking from UI conventions:

(1)

If you look at giant company software--I checked Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat as examples--when a button is available to cause an action, it is "intense" in its color or darkness.

Yet, in Morningstar TRX, now some of the buttons are merely medium gray when they are actionable. This is confusing and makes it harder to navigate. Also, there is no sound basis for this non-standard design choice:  If black or VERY dark gray buttons/icons are good enough for Microsoft and Adobe, you know they have done their homework.

I, as a middle age user with a tougher to train brain---  I think I am *fair* to expect standard design approaches from you all. PLEASE, fix all the buttons so that anything you can click either has an intense color or is black/white. No medium gray. Medium gray is too wishy/washy. And bigger companies than yours have trained us to ignore those buttons! Make sense? If needed, I am happy to get on a call and lead you through examples.

Honestly, please let me know when the buttons should be fixed. I am guessing you can do it with a global replace in the code of a hex color and a little bit of testing. No?

(2)

Next, the fancy striped map background. Also this is non standard. Microsoft always uses white or a bland solid background. Similarly, Adobe. Your team does *not* know better than them on usability. Sorry--but you should not really be offended. Right?

Even though this background is often mostly masked into "background," it is still distracting and a strain.

Maybe young people are not bothered. But for older folks (I'm 52) with tiring eyes, this is unnecessary strain--and not justifiable.

-----------------

The art of software requires knowing when *NOT* to be an artist, and when just to borrow good, solid, proven best practices from the giants of the business. Get with it, please!

My other issues are not along the lines of "standard best practices," so I will post separately at some point. (It's not functionality I use often--but security exceptions are now harder to navigate.)

Thank you!!

And thank you again for being excellent partners!!

Warmly, Tom

Labels (2)
Tags (2)