Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DouglasL
Follower ○○○

Deleting a Column Set

Once I create a column set and save it how do I edit and save under the same name.  For example, I create a column set and save it as Test1.  I can than open that column set easily.  However, if I edit the data layout and save it as the same name it makes two column sets with the same name.  How can I overwrite the original and / or delete columns sets in the listing?  i would hate to keep naming additional column sets over time.  This could result in hundreds being listed. 

Only reason this is becoming an issue on my workflow is that I have not had an adequate solution to my "export" problem I brought up last week with support.  Basically, nesting is having issues and the export functionality does not export all data elements on the view so I have to create a nested and unnested column set for the same data.  The unnested column set is the one used for the export into Excel.  Why do I export into Excel?  Because I would like the data displayed and compared in a means not yet available in Presentation Studio.  Or if it is available I have not figured it out as of yet.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisMuno Employee
Employee

Re: Deleting a Column Set

Hi DouglasL, 

I believe I can answer your question about column sets.

Currently there are two kinds of column sets. The first kind is the named column sets that you can find in the Menu\Column Sets list.

namedcomlumnsets.png

The other kind is the unnamed ones stored internally to each table (grid) in a workbook. The column sets under Menu\Column Sets are intended to be things you may want to use across various workbooks and with various lists of investments and are basically templates that you can copy into your tables in a workbook. The ones stored in a table in a workbook are particular to that workbook/table and editing them won't effect the named column sets.

So what is the relationship between the two? When you want to use one of the named column sets you can replace the column set in a table by selecting Column Set\Open.

open.png

This gives you an option to select from the list of named column sets. When you select one, the contents of the named column set selected are copied into the table. If you later edit the column set in the table you are only editing the new copy stored with the table not the named one you previously selected. 

If you find you really like a column set you have edited in a table and want to use it across various workbooks you can select Column Set\Save as Column set to save the column set from the table to a name Column Set that you can later Open (copy) into tables in other workbooks. 

saveas.png

There is not currently a way to have a column set that is used in multiple tables so that when it is edited in one place it updates everywhere else that it is used. This is something that we are currently working on an option for. Since this linking behavior doesn't exist there is no way to save over since you are taking an unnamed column set from a specific table and saving it as a named column set, not editing a named column set and saving back to itself. You can however delete named column sets you don't want in Menu\Column Sets. I hope that answers your question. Thanks, Chris

0 Kudos
elaprade
Follower ○○

I had the same issue, every time I edited the column set I had to save with different name. Just to make sure I didn't misunderstand/miss something in your response, in short, there is no way to delete a column set at all correct?

I currently have the same column set just saved under different variations each time I update it. Much like Douglas.

Thanks,

Liz

0 Kudos
pchristenson Employee
Employee

Hi -

Thanks for the great question. And the good news is yes, you can delete a column set.

1. From the Menu (upper-right corner of any Direct page), select Column Sets. The Column Set page opens.
  2. Click the checkbox of the column set you want to delete.
  3. At the top of the page, click Delete.

DeleteColSet.jpg

I hope this helps.

Pat Christenson

0 Kudos
elaprade
Follower ○○

amazing!! thank you!!

0 Kudos