cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Follower ○○

access to PRWCX?

Hi folks,

Are there any ways to get into PRWCX these days?  

 

Thanks

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

heard some time ago if you rollover 401K to TR you can get in their closed funds. Not sure if that is still the case.

or 

if you can have someone to transfer just one share to you....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

Is it really possible to transfer a share to someone? I would think that if it were possible people would be offering to sell shares privately. Maybe I should check Ebay! :-0

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: access to PRWCX?

This comes up a lot and instead of worrying about trying to get into a closed fund maybe try one of the good alternatives to PRWCX.  

American Funds American Balanced F1 - BALFX
Janus Henderson Balanced T - JABAX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

RPBAX is an interesting choice.  Not really an alternative to PRWCX but an inexpensive, balanced fund from T. Rowe . . . Could be worth a look.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

I think you can do just as well with a mix of the best equity and bond funds,,,,in retrospect. I would add VLAAX to the above for an allocation fund. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: access to PRWCX?


@archer wrote:

Is it really possible to transfer a share to someone? I would think that if it were possible people would be offering to sell shares privately. Maybe I should check Ebay! :-0


It certainly is. In the old days, people were offering their children for a share of DODGX or SEQUX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

TRP has a hard close on new accounts in PRWCX. Various posters claim from time to time that TRP will allow rollovers into new accounts with PRWCX. I have discussed this claim with TRP reps several times, including just recently, and was told that TRP is allowing no new accounts in PRWCX, period— no ifs, ands or buts. Anyone who tells you otherwise is spreading rumors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: access to PRWCX?


@chang wrote:

@archer wrote:

Is it really possible to transfer a share to someone? I would think that if it were possible people would be offering to sell shares privately. Maybe I should check Ebay! :-0


It certainly is. In the old days, people were offering their children for a share of DODGX or SEQUX.


I'd imagine this would only work for non-IRAs though?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

I have been using VLAAX for the 6 months (based on another person's suggestion I'm M* forum) in my wife's IRA acct where I don't have PRWCX.

A 10 year comparison of few of the alternatives using MS* is:

PRWCX

+21,474.84 | +214.75%

JABAX

+15,059.27 | +150.59% ×

VLAAX

+19,752.77 | +197.53% ×

BALFX

+16,592.74 | +165.93% ×

In the last 3 years, VLAAX is very close to PRWCX.  If anybody can comment on the bonds portion (if any of the funds who have less performance have better quality bonds) that will be helpful. If there is longer term comparison that will be very helpful also.

Do people use PRWCX in the taxable accounts. I am having mostly HY municipal bond funds and dividend ETFs in taxable. 

SRT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: access to PRWCX?


@sthanga wrote:

I have been using VLAAX for the 6 months in my wife's IRA acct where I don't have PRWCX.

A 10 year comparison of few of the alternatives using MS* is:

PRWCX

+21,474.84 | +214.75%

JABAX

+15,059.27 | +150.59% ×

VLAAX

+19,752.77 | +197.53% ×

BALFX

+16,592.74 | +165.93% ×

In the last 3 years, VLAAX is very close to PRWCX.  If anybody can comment on the bonds portion (if any of the funds who have less performance have better quality bonds) that will be helpful. If there is longer term comparison that will be very helpful also.

Do people use PRWCX in the taxable accounts. I am having mostly HY municipal bond funds and dividend ETFs in taxable. 

SRT


I got the comparison 10-year chart of PRWCX and VTI over VLAAX. It seems that both PRWCX and VTI have outperformed VLAAX. More importantly, VTI never under performed PRWCX. Why would anyone choose something very expensive that the expense ratio of VTI (now 0.03%)? I fail to understand the clamor for PRWCX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: access to PRWCX?


@ECEPROF wrote:

@sthanga wrote:

I have been using VLAAX for the 6 months in my wife's IRA acct where I don't have PRWCX.

A 10 year comparison of few of the alternatives using MS* is:

PRWCX

+21,474.84 | +214.75%

JABAX

+15,059.27 | +150.59% ×

VLAAX

+19,752.77 | +197.53% ×

BALFX

+16,592.74 | +165.93% ×

In the last 3 years, VLAAX is very close to PRWCX.  If anybody can comment on the bonds portion (if any of the funds who have less performance have better quality bonds) that will be helpful. If there is longer term comparison that will be very helpful also.

Do people use PRWCX in the taxable accounts. I am having mostly HY municipal bond funds and dividend ETFs in taxable. 

SRT


I got the comparison 10-year chart of PRWCX and VTI over VLAAX. It seems that both PRWCX and VTI have outperformed VLAAX. More importantly, VTI never under performed PRWCX. Why would anyone choose something very expensive that the expense ratio of VTI (now 0.03%)? I fail to understand the clamor for PRWCX.


Seriously?  You know VTI is 100% stock and PRWCX and VLAAX are usually about 70/30, right? 

BTW, VLAAX has slightly outperformed PRWCX over the past 3-yr period.

That said, if you really don't  "understand the clamor for PRWCX," you need to do a little more research.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: access to PRWCX?

VTI is 100% stock. Yes. So, what? Did it outperform PRWCX? Yes. So, my research clearly shows that. Did you check the grapgh?

I am not a trader. Oh, by the way, I never invested in US bonds because you do not make money investing in US bonds unless you trade. But, recently, I have PCI and KIO but they are also stocks with income.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: access to PRWCX?


@ECEPROF wrote:

VTI is 100% stock. Yes. So, what? Did it outperform PRWCX? Yes. So, my research clearly shows that. Did you check the grapgh?

I am not a trader. Oh, by the way, I never invested in US bonds because you do not make money investing in US bonds unless you trade. But, recently, I have PCI and KIO but they are also stocks with income.


@ECEPROF @arriba 

Just invest in LVMH (LVMUY) like me.  LVMUY SMOKED PRWCX by 731% ... just add it to your graph and you'll see.  Forget bonds, forget ETFs, just buy LVMUY as my 'research' clearly shows.  

ECEPROF, on a congenial but serious note, the only thing you should have responded to Arriba with is ... 'you're right, apples and oranges.'  

ctyankee

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: access to PRWCX?


@ECEPROF wrote:

VTI is 100% stock. Yes. So, what? Did it outperform PRWCX? Yes. So, my research clearly shows that. Did you check the grapgh?

I am not a trader. Oh, by the way, I never invested in US bonds because you do not make money investing in US bonds unless you trade. But, recently, I have PCI and KIO but they are also stocks with income.


WOW! on the first comment.  I guess not all research is created equal.

On the second, I dunno what that has to do with, well, anything really.  That said, ever heard of, e.g., PIMIX?

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/performance/N067?FundIntExt=EXT

Is 8.76% avg for the past 10-yr period not making money in your books?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

@sthanga You asked a few posts back about the quality of the bond portion of VLAAX. Here it is from M*:

AAA 71.59

AA 3.11

8.41

BBB 15.59

BB 1.23

0.00

Below B 0.00

Not Rated 0.07

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

archer,

Thanks. It is higher quality of bonds than the High yield funds like JMUTX or IOFIX etc. 

SRT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: access to PRWCX?


@racqueteer wrote:

@chang wrote:

@archer wrote:

Is it really possible to transfer a share to someone? I would think that if it were possible people would be offering to sell shares privately. Maybe I should check Ebay! :-0


It certainly is. In the old days, people were offering their children for a share of DODGX or SEQUX.


I'd imagine this would only work for non-IRAs though?


Right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

I looked up PRWCX bond portfolio quality, and here it is:

Bond Breakdown
Credit QualityCoupon RangeMaturity Schedule
vs. Category
Grades        Fund %   Cat %
AAA0.0043.66
AA1.9012.76
A8.3315.64
BBB21.2117.47
BB26.293.61
B37.593.10
Below B3.840.96
Not Rated0.842.80
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: access to PRWCX?

I found this article on the bond quality others might find interesting. I was curious as to just how important it is. That, each of us must decide for ourselves. This article sheds some light on default rates of junk/high yield bonds.  The damaging effect of defaults (historically) seem to me to not be a deal breaker for investing in otherwise good funds even with lower credit quality in the bond portions, or in good bond OEFs. For buying individual bonds it might be more prudent to go for quality. Just my opinion, based on my own risk averseness. 

0 Kudos
Announcements