cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Recommendations for Fidelity Large Growth fund both managed and index

It’s been many a year since I have logged on to this site.  I’m hoping that folks are as helpful today as in the past.

I am looking to decrease our holding in Vanguard Primecap and then add a large growth in our Fidelity account.  On my radar is :

FNCMX

FBGRX

FCNTX

FTRNX

Any thoughts or tips on any of these funds would be great.  Additional ideas are also welcomed. 
Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Recommendations for Fidelity Large Growth fund both managed and index

FBCGX is on my watch list. Its manager is also on FBGRX' team.  Much smaller AUM than FBGRX ( 3B vs 34B) and almost half the expense (0.45% vs 0.8%). Similar performance but FBCGX is much younger - 3 years old.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Good suggestion.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I was in FNCMX for a while a few years ago, being (1) low-cost index, (2) having predictable (in sync with the overall NASDAQ index) performance, and (3) adding a bit of growth to my portfolio. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@bull2000 wrote:

FBCGX is on my watch list. Its manager is also on FBGRX' team.  Much smaller AUM than FBGRX ( 3B vs 34B) and almost half the expense (0.45% vs 0.8%). Similar performance but FBCGX is much younger - 3 years old.....

Are not they the same fund but different class, with FBCGX being a retirement plan class?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

@Anitya 

You are correct. Now I saw "Shares generally are available only to certain employer-sponsored retirement plans." 

Remember I got the ticket from their webinars and did not pay enough attention to the disclaimer.

I guess I have to go with FBGRX now. :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Well, that’s disappointing.  I did own some FCTNX in a 403b and rolled that over.  I don’t recall any change in fees.

Seemed like the FBCGX was a great idea.  Any others?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Selecting a "hot" and stylish (e.g., FAANG-centric) mutual fund seems all reasonable and even prudent nowadays.  However, there is no guarantee that the said fund will not go out-of-style and under-perform one of these days, as discussed many times here. 

Just a gentle reminder.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I would look at Fidelity Blue Chip Growth Fund and compare recent performance with TRP's Blue Chip Growth Fund, TRBCX. I think the expense ratio is close and there is no fee at Fidelity for TRP funds.

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Point well taken but with a follow up question.  Any recommendations for a large growth or possibly large blend that does not rely on the FAANG?  
Again, many thanks for tips and advice 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Index fund - I own FSPGX and think it has some advantages over its peers.

Actively managed funds - I prefer non-Fidelity options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Good choice (FSPGX), more evenly weighted among growth stocks with low cost.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I have FOCKX in my 457 account. Growth equity fund with ER = .79 and not a fang in sight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I thought I had increased my knowledge base a little but what am I missing?
FOCKX has Apple, Amazon, Alphabet, and Facebook in its top ten holdings.

Also,  how does FNCMX fit in the mix?  I like how it is a bit broader across the categories of V/BL/G and 

just about all of the funds discussed here have similar weightings in technology, consumer, communication, and healthcare.  What else should I be looking at when evaluating these funds.

Thanks for educating me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@WealthyD  - Oops, my bad on 2 counts. I confused it with an allocation fund with growth equity that I just purchased - but not fidelity. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Will Danoff@ Fidelity Contra has been making boatloads of money for Fidelity Customers for over three decades now. 

He along w/S.Wyman, Ford Oneill, & J.Tillinghast are what makes Fidelity tick on an Active Manager matrix.

Danoff, Wyman, and Tillinghast, all listened in @ P.Lynch's work cubicle, when Lynch was driving Magellan into the stratosphere.

I've trusted Danaoff in my old 403b, since 1993.

Good Luck w/any choice you make!

Signed, 

NoFriends1

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@WealthyD : (1) fund manager and associated long-term performance, (2) Active vs. indexed.

I used to pay much attention to fund managers, thus FCNTX and FLPSX.  But after a while, I was second-guessing what they did to cause the "unexpected" loss of performance.  Thus index funds like FXAIX and FNCMX; that is low-cost and I do not worry about why they underperform. 

I also used to go with style, thus FDGRX (closed t new investors), FBGRX, and FOCPX; etc..  Then I asked myself, "Do I like or can I trust these managers' style all the (good and bad) time?"  Thus the famous, "Good managers will fade away..." 

It is usually the bad time that matters more, when the wind is smooth, they all perform well, not by management skills, but by the trends at the time.

Just my experience.  Good luck on whatever choice you make:)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Chang:

What specific funds would you recommend? I am interested in finding good funds- Fidelity has several but other folks have some too.

Thanks

Jim

Are you still in Bangkok?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

ZVNBX - Zevenbergen Growth Fund or ZVGNX Zevenbergen Genea Fund (both funds have Amazon & Netflix as of 3/31/20)

0 Kudos
Announcements