cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Is it time to panic?

@copie  Smart thieves - sounds like they made off with a lot of dough!

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Copie the time to panic is when 3rd. case of TURKEY runs out!

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I hope you are right. I am afraid you are not. There are states and regions with little virus. This may mean they will not get the virus, but it may also mean that there is a delayed start to their epidemic. Cutting off travel from China to US did not prevent the virus... will the distance between NYC and Idaho prevent the virus from reaching Idaho? ... is it just a manner of weeks before they have a problem, too.

... but I hope you are right.

Sent from Erryl's iPhone
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@DrVenture wrote:

This is must read material LINK

"The lesson from Italy isn’t just that you have to act before your hospitals are overwhelmed. It’s that you have to take steps that appear in the moment to be an exceptional overreaction — because by the time it looks like the steps you’re taking are appropriate, it will have been too late."

Almost exactly what the WHO and CDC has been saying for a month.

"It means that the US and most European countries are seeing early coronavirus growth numbers that look like the ones from Italy. Our confirmed cases are increasing at about the rate theirs did. That gives us every reason to think our health systems will eventually be overwhelmed like theirs were, unless we take strong measures sooner than they did.

So far, we’ve taken some strong measures — which is good! But it’s not clear that we’re acting that much faster than Italy did — and remember, Italy wasn’t fast enough."

Why are you comparing the number of cases in Italy to the US instead of China which has a total of 81,116 infections and 3231 deaths?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

China took aggressive measures and enforced a strict lock down. They are a totalitarian government with the ability and willingness to deploy the military domestically at the drop of a hat, and did. Wuhan was quarantined, mass transportation shut down and there were roadblocks on all major roads before even 100 cases were identified there. It was not 100% effective, but it helped.

In the USA we cannot stop travel between states that are hot spots and states that are so far seemingly unaffected. This will be a huge problem. In Asian countries like China, Taiwan and Singapore, their cultures lend themselves to acting out of societal need. In the USA, our culture lends itself to heading to the beach when faced with crisis.

Will we get the worst case scenario here? I do not know. I can only take the word of experts.

So far the science is indicating that we are not on China's trajectory. "Harris was asked directly: "Do you see the United States going on to become the epicenter of this outbreak, overtaking Europe?" In response Harris said, "We are now seeing a very large acceleration in the numbers of cases from the United States — so it does have that potential. We cannot say that that is the case yet, but it does have that potential."

Or we can go with the guy who has a vested interest in re-opening the economy ASAP, as 6 of his 7 biggest revenue generators are currently shut down -hotels and golf courses. You choose.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

"The lesson from Italy isn’t just that you have to act before your hospitals are overwhelmed. It’s that you have to take steps that appear in the moment to be an exceptional overreaction — because by the time it looks like the steps you’re taking are appropriate, it will have been too late."

"It means that the US and most European countries are seeing early coronavirus growth numbers that look like the ones from Italy. Our confirmed cases are increasing at about the rate theirs did. That gives us every reason to think our health systems will eventually be overwhelmed like theirs were, unless we take strong measures sooner than they did.

So far, we’ve taken some strong measures — which is good! But it’s not clear that we’re acting that much faster than Italy did — and remember, Italy wasn’t fast enough."

Why are you comparing the number of cases in Italy to the US instead of China which has a total of 81,116 infections and 3231 deaths?

Hi Intruder,

Please consider this chart:

deaths by country.jpg

First of all, please notice the text I highlighted with the orange rectangle.  It says "Deaths Double Every Day". The following markers indicate deaths doubling every 2 days, doubling every 3 days, and finally deaths doubling every week.

The US is said to be tracking like Italy because of the similarities between policies, and the timing of their implementation. 

If we relax policy too soon, then we risk pushing the curve towards Spain, and extending the amplitude until policy is again changed to flatten the curve. 

This is a mathematical certainty because the biology of the virus has not been changed. Therefore our ONLY tool is to use policy to limit the number of opportunities that the virus has to spread.

Thank you,

Holiday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Looks like cases in the US accelerated  after ten days to rate of Spain. Problem with this analysis is most of the  European countries are the size of many of our sates. To make the graph more relevant, it would have to use countries in Europe and the Middle East, and individual states here. This would be true for Russia and somewhat true for China, with exception, China has a much denser population, such being it might be statistically seen as one big state.

My son was laid off and is here convincing me to take a ride in an old muscle car, which originally was mine, and given to him back in the 80s. He has always kept it up and running. Have a good day everyone and keep cool.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Holiday wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hi Intruder,

deaths by country.jpg

First of all, please notice the text I highlighted with the orange rectangle.  It says "Deaths Double Every Day". The following markers indicate deaths doubling every 2 days, doubling every 3 days, and finally deaths doubling every week.

The US is said to be tracking like Italy because of the similarities between policies, and the timing of their implementation. 

If we relax policy too soon, then we risk pushing the curve towards Spain, and extending the amplitude until policy is again changed to flatten the curve. 

This is a mathematical certainty because the biology of the virus has not been changed. Therefore our ONLY tool is to use policy to limit the number of opportunities that the virus has to spread.

Thank you,

Holiday

Since Nurse Ratchet is closing threads because of their “political” content which is totally opaque , I am not posting any replies that could be considered to violate the unwritten rules of the forum. Who knows, this may be my last post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@Intruder wrote:

@Holiday wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hi Intruder,

deaths by country.jpg

Thank you,

Holiday

Since Nurse Ratchet is closing threads because of their “political” content which is totally opaque , I am not posting any replies that could be considered to violate the unwritten rules of the forum. Who knows, this may be my last post.

They're actually quite the opposite of unwritten rules. They're written right here:

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/About-Morningstar-Community/Morningstar-Community-Terms-of-Serv...

I might consider your calling me Nurse Ratched as grounds for suspension, but I'm more concerned with how you address your fellow posters here. Thank you for adhering to the written rules.

- RyanM

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I think that RyanM has been more than fair and patient. As far as I can tell he let's things go until someone starts getting personal and shuts it down. Many of us have pushed the limits of the site rules and he has let it slide, as long as we remain civil. Not that much to ask.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@RyanM wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@Holiday wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hi Intruder,

deaths by country.jpg

Thank you,

Holiday

They're actually quite the opposite of unwritten rules. They're written right here:

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/About-Morningstar-Community/Morningstar-Community-Terms-of-Serv...

I might consider your calling me Nurse Ratched as grounds for suspension, but I'm more concerned with how you address your fellow posters here. Thank you for adhering to the written rules.

- RyanM

Ryan 

Why is that grounds for suspension? Is satire now prohibited under the unwritten rules?

you seem to enforce some forum rules and ignore others. About a month ago I flagged a post with an obscene photo that should have been removed immediately but no action was taken.

I will now withdraw from posting on any topic that could be construed to have objectionable content under the unwritten rules on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@copie wrote:

We have to be close to bottom. Someone last night stole our bread truck with loaded with bread!

Copie

Something stole MY bread truck also; caronavirus. Keep going Copie. We'll catch that mother######!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

@Intruder wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@Holiday wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hi Intruder,

deaths by country.jpg

Thank you,

Holiday

- RyanM

Ryan 

Why is that grounds for suspension? Is satire now prohibited under the unwritten rules?

you seem to enforce some forum rules and ignore others. About a month ago I flagged a post with an obscene photo that should have been removed immediately but no action was taken.

I will now withdraw from posting on any topic that could be construed to have objectionable content under the unwritten rules on it.

@Intruder I did remove the photo you reported. Whatever time it took for it to be removed is because I have to respond to each abuse report, and I am the only one doing this. I apologize it wasn't done more quickly, but it's not accurate to say no action was taken. We do not have a mechanism in place allowing members to automatically remove content themselves.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

@Intruder wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@Holiday wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hi Intruder,

deaths by country.jpg

Thank you,

Holiday

- RyanM

Ryan 

You keep referring to unwritten rules. What you call satire, many others perceive as personal attacks, which are also cited in the terms of service, which I can only assume you haven't bothered to read.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Ryan 

no need to apologize. You did it right. And I understand that these thing take time and effort to complete.

As for your second post to me satire  is an form of artful writing that is an accepted form of comment. Since you have now banned satire I will refrain from using it in the future.

But I have a question

Is using “ you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows” in a response prohibited because it’s satire?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@RyanM wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@Holiday wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hi Intruder,

deaths by country.jpg

Thank you,

Holiday

- RyanM

Ryan 

You keep referring to unwritten rules. What you call satire, many others perceive as personal attacks, which are also cited in the terms of service, which I can only assume you haven't bothered to read.

Actually, satire is defined as: "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues."   In short, satire is designed to be a personal attack.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@Holiday wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hi Intruder,

deaths by country.jpg

Thank you,

Holiday

- RyanM

Ryan 

Actually, satire is defined as: "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues."   In short, satire is designed to be a personal attack.

My posts are intended to be humorous , ironic or exaggerations, not for the other reasons you cited including a personal attack. I can’t help it if people misconstrue my posts.. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@DrVenture wrote:

China took aggressive measures and enforced a strict lock down. They are a totalitarian government with the ability and willingness to deploy the military domestically at the drop of a hat, and did. Wuhan was quarantined, mass transportation shut down and there were roadblocks on all major roads before even 100 cases were identified there. It was not 100% effective, but it helped.

In the USA we cannot stop travel between states that are hot spots and states that are so far seemingly unaffected. This will be a huge problem. In Asian countries like China, Taiwan and Singapore, their cultures lend themselves to acting out of societal need. In the USA, our culture lends itself to heading to the beach when faced with crisis.

Will we get the worst case scenario here? I do not know. I can only take the word of experts.

So far the science is indicating that we are not on China's trajectory. "Harris was asked directly: "Do you see the United States going on to become the epicenter of this outbreak, overtaking Europe?" In response Harris said, "We are now seeing a very large acceleration in the numbers of cases from the United States — so it does have that potential. We cannot say that that is the case yet, but it does have that potential."

I returned from China in December from a teaching residency. As soon as they let out the info about CV (it was later than it should have been) they went on complete lockdown. They are now getting back to business. Are we like China, S. Korea or are we like Italy and Spain? You choose. BTW - Does anyone thinks the Christian Right (Sorry for the potential political spin, but it's relevant) - will have a mass go to Easter Services on Easter Sunday? What would the fallout be? Would two weeks after Easter be another trigger to implement more $ to the market. I hate I'm asking myself these questions. But I just had a talk with my sister who falls into the demographic I just mentioned... Take good care all. Regardless of your politics we are really all in this together.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@DrVenture wrote:

I think that RyanM has been more than fair and patient. As far as I can tell he let's things go until someone starts getting personal and shuts it down. Many of us have pushed the limits of the site rules and he has let it slide, as long as we remain civil. Not that much to ask.

I agree, not much to ask. Ryan looks a lot younger than most of us here, we know better than to get into petty arguments. It also saves space and makes the web forum read better when you don't quote the entire post, so delete all but what necessitates your response. I am only suggesting not tell anyone specifically what to do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

@copie wrote:

We have to be close to bottom. Someone last night stole our bread truck with loaded with bread!

Copie

Something stole MY bread truck also; caronavirus. Keep going Copie. We'll catch that mother######!

The cleverness of this metaphor almost slipped past me! Nice.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.