cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

How to sell all shares?

I sold all my shares of a few ETFs today. Of all sold, a partial share remains in my PF. When I placed the sell order I chose "sell all shares". If I try to sell the remaining partial share, an error message instructs that the order has to be for a whole number. Is there a way to get rid of these remainders?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to sell all shares?

How did you acquire fractional ETF share(s)?

For now, only Fido App allows trading fractional shares of stocks and ETFs. If you used it recently to acquire fractional shares, you should use it to sell fractional shares.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

The fractional shares will  be liquidated automatically at the settlement date for a sell all shares transaction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@jmrdnc wrote:

The fractional shares will  be liquidated automatically at the settlement date for a sell all shares transaction.

Even if he bought, say, 125.xx shares using Fido App but entered sell all via PC that may have shown only 125 in the PC trading screen? I think that sell all via Fido App would have shown 125.xx. I have used Fido App to buy and sell fractional shares and that feature works fine.

Anyway, wait T+2 to see what happened.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I use a MacBook to trade not my iPhone. Have experienced the settlement date liquidation of fractional shares for Sell All Shares at Vanguard and Schwab. Same too, if a normally reinvested dividend comes later, it becomes posted as cash.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Agree. If fractional shares were acquired under dividend reinvest program, then sell-all from any tech platform should work. 

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@jmrdnc wrote:

Yes, it works just like that, I sold all shares before. Check back in a few days and all shares will be gone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Thanks to all of you! 

I never used the app, only my mac. Fractional shares were due to dividends as suggested. I will wait and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The Fido app is a bit tricky. If you want to sell fractional shares instantly, don’t enter “Sell All Shares”. Just “Sell” the exact number of shares xxx.xxx, and they will all sell.

I did this today. It works.

But if you didn’t, they will liquidate the fractional part later in the evening.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.