cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Fidelity transaction fee for VWINX

I have read in previous posts about a way to get around the $75 transaction fee to purchase shares of VWINX at Fidelity. I would like to add shares to existing VWINX I currently have in my TIRA at Fidelity. 

Do I have to add in $3000 increments? Also I seem to remember you all mentioning a way to avoid the $75 transaction fee, however I can't seem to find any of those posts. Can anyone provide that info again?

jody49

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Fidelity transaction fee for VWINX

You can setup Automatic investments with Fido for $5 per transaction.   I don't think there was a $3K min after the initial position was purchased.

You can cancel the Automatic investment anytime, even after only 1 transaction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@jody49 wrote:

I have read in previous posts about a way to get around the $75 transaction fee to purchase shares of VWINX at Fidelity. I would like to add shares to existing VWINX I currently have in my TIRA at Fidelity. 

Do I have to add in $3000 increments? Also I seem to remember you all mentioning a way to avoid the $75 transaction fee, however I can't seem to find any of those posts. Can anyone provide that info again?

jody49

@jody49,

Refer to this post for setting up automatic investments at Fidelity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I don’t believe Fidelity will allow you to set up auto invest for Vanguard Funds. When you attempt to select the fund for which the auto invest feature will apply to, Vanguard funds will not show up in the “drop down box” so you are forced to pay the $75 fee for each purchase. This happened to me when I owned Global Wellington. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@BigTom wrote:

I don’t believe Fidelity will allow you to set up auto invest on Vanguard Funds. When you go to set it up, the Vanguard funds you own will not show up in the “drop down box” when you go to select the fund you currently own so you are forced to pay the $75 fee for each purchase. 

I can’t test that because I don’t own any VG funds in my Fido account. But if true, that would be mean.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@BigTom wrote:

I don’t believe Fidelity will allow you to set up auto invest for Vanguard Funds. When you attempt to select the fund for which the auto invest feature will apply to, Vanguard funds will not show up in the “drop down box” so you are forced to pay the $75 fee for each purchase. This happened to me when I owned Global Wellington. 

Well, that really stinks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@BigTom wrote:

I believe you are right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

If me, I would make a visit to my local Fidelity office, grab some free coffee and talk to my assigned financial consultant.  There may be a manual, paper work around the financial consultant can do to make this happen.  I recall my financial consultant told me about it in late 2017 when I converted all my retirement money to Fidelity and asked her a multitude of questions. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Just tested VWINX at Fido...it showed up and allowed me to setup the automatic investment.  It still works - I've done it in the past as well (with VMVFX).

Are you sure you clicked on the correct Fido account (assuming you have a taxable and a non-taxable(s) accts)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

"@jadster33 wrote:

Just tested VWINX at Fido...it showed up and allowed me to setup the automatic investment.  It still works - I've done it in the past as well (with VMVFX).

Are you sure you clicked on the correct Fido account (assuming you have a taxable and a non-taxable(s) accts)? "

I held VGWLX in multiple accounts (Taxable, T-IRA, SEP-IRA, Inherit-IRA & Roth IRA) and VGWLX could not be setup for Auto Invest in any of them. I subsequently either sold or transferred VGWLX so I cannot try it at Fido for that specific fund. 
I also hold VIHAX in a Roth and it also cannot be setup for auto investments.

vanguard.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

I just tried to buy more VWELX within my Fidelity IRA via the auto purchase and it is being allowed. It doesn't state the price but I assume it will be $5.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I own both VWINX and VGWLX at Fidelity. I can set up automatic investments for VWINX but not VGWLX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

When I transferred my retirement money to Fidelity in 2017 I looked into the Auto Invest feature and not all my OEFs were listed in dropdown.  That was when my advisor told me if I don't see something on list to let her know and she can set up for me via a manual, paper transaction.  Now when I look into it, all my OEFs are in the drop down so I am guessing there may have been an initial lag in 2017 in getting the dropdown fully populated.  If I did not see an OEF on the list, I would not give up hope.  I still suggest go to local Fidelity office, grab a free cup of coffee and talk about it with your financial consultant.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Brooklyn1 wrote:

I own both VWINX and VGWLX at Fidelity. I can set up automatic investments for VWINX but not VGWLX.

Weird. I agree with the other posters who recommended talking to your rep and asking to set it up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I set it up to add to my Wellesley fund after transferring money from FFNOX into my core (SPAXX) account.  I followed the protocol outlined beautifully by ???? above and the only difference was that they required a $100 minimum to transfer to the Wellesley account.  The charges was $5

Thanks for the tip.

Still a deer in headlights when I read so many of the posts here.  My fault.  So much to learn, so little time (while helping raise a 4 yr old grandson). 

Cheers

I should develop an index of all the initials used for funds and what not on this site (e.g. took me a while to figure out what AUM

stood for).  Whatever.  Keep up the good work

0 Kudos
Announcements