cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
richardsok
Explorer ○○

BUY/SELL/WHY -- October 2019

As usual, post your recent trades with a brief explanation of your reasoning.   Readers may post brief questions or comments, but if a longer discussion is in order, please start a new thread.

0 Kudos
41 Replies
richardsok
Explorer ○○

Re: BUY/SELL/WHY -- October 2019

Guess I'll start this month off myself as I had a boffo morning.   Last night Teekay's (TOO) board  accepted BBR buyout offer of 1.55 (up from their previous -- and ridiculous -- offer of 1.05/sh).   A lot of the larger legacy shareholders will be irritated as 1.55 is probably about half what the assets are worth, but we recent speculators get a windfall.  I think there's a good chance more  can be had but I can't stick around for an endless lawsuit.  Sold my entire 50,000sh position for a 32% short term gain. Half of it was in the IRA, so tax bite won't be too heinous.  Hope this post isn't obnoxious.  Just feeling cocky.  It'll pass.

OK, that was my trade of the year. Now what?  More PCI?

shipwreckdalone
Explorer ○○

Still holding EGY bought at $1.77. Five well drilling program underway from existing platforms paid with cash on hand. LSE listing just completed. High risk speculation. 

Bought BMY at $51.11.

0 Kudos
jmrdnc
Participant ○

Bought ISIAX and JPGB today at Schwab. Sticking to bond fund investments. Tried to buy a couple of ETFs and CEFs under the announced no transaction fee policy but their computer program hasn't gotten the word yet, so I'll wait until it doesn't add $4.95 to the cost.

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Contributor ○○○

@jmrdnc wrote:

Bought ISIAX and JPGB today at Schwab. Sticking to bond fund investments. Tried to buy a couple of ETFs and CEFs under the announced no transaction fee policy but their computer program hasn't gotten the word yet, so I'll wait until it doesn't add $4.95 to the cost.

Schwab $0 commission effective Oct 7.   https://pressroom.aboutschwab.com/press-release/corporate-and-financial-news/conjunction-chuck-schwa...

YBB
0 Kudos
chang
Contributor ○○

On what’s looking like a second sharply down day, I’m adding to VG Min Vol VMNVX and opening a new position in VG Selected Value VASVX. (Adding to US/Intl MCV/MCB.)

rhythmmethod
Explorer ○○○

Adding a slice, on down day, to VBR from small portion of proceeds from sale of VPCCX a few days ago. I'm going to add VERY slowly as I think the slope is downward trending. 

richardsok
Explorer ○○

Sold my two leveraged positions: CEFL and MRRL.  ST loss on both, but no telling where the bottom is.

0 Kudos
FatKat
Participant ○○

Sold three lots of GBF @ $119.15

0 Kudos
richardsok
Explorer ○○

TVIX jumps 10% today.   Sold it for a good gain, the first of my three protective hedging positions.   The other two are DOG and HDGE, which I will hold for now.

0 Kudos
Participant ○

Added to  VMVAX, VSIAX, PRWCX and ISIAX.

0 Kudos
sasol
Explorer ○

Rhythmmethod, 

Would you know if it is allowable to VBR, VO etc in less 100 lots. Now that TDA and Schwabb are reducing fees to $0, in some cases, to enter the the market more gingerly.

Many thanks! 

0 Kudos
rhythmmethod
Explorer ○○○

On today's up market rang register on more AAPL purchased last Dec. I'll keep some cash and put the rest in VWEAX. I hate to trigger more taxable events but discretion is the better part of valor at this stage. Good Luck! - rm

0 Kudos
rhythmmethod
Explorer ○○○

@sasol wrote:

Rhythmmethod, 

Would you know if it is allowable to VBR, VO etc in less 100 lots. Now that TDA and Schwabb are reducing fees to $0, in some cases, to enter the the market more gingerly.

Many thanks! 

Hi - I purchase through my VG brokerage account and can buy any number of share I wish. There is also no transaction fee. I would think it's the same at Schwab and TDA but not sure. Take care.

richardsok
Explorer ○○

My hedge position in TVIX has dropped 17% since I took gains on it Monday, despite its announcing a coupon ex-div on Oct 10.   Shortly before today's close I re-purchased it.

0 Kudos
chang
Contributor ○○

Sold VIG in an IRA and added the proceeds to VYM (held there also). Preparing for a leadership shift from growth to value. Still hold VIG in another account.
0 Kudos
willt65
Follower ○○

I've owned ISIAX since 2014, when I first spotted its performance and stability. Stellar fund thus far.

0 Kudos
mlott1
Participant ○○

Bought PONAX at 11.95 and FIJEX at 10.43.  Not much looks compelling to me with stocks, the areas I'm interested in are pretty richly valued, with one or two exceptions, so for now I'll just keep adding to my two bond funds and online savings.  

0 Kudos
ViveBene
Follower ○○○

Small buy of Vanguard Health Care VGHCX. Why: expect to keep this fund for another 20 years (first buy in late 1980s).

0 Kudos
uh1
Explorer ○

Yesterday I bought ABBV & OHI.   Both have good growth potential and reliable dividends.

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in