cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Let some of the moths out of my wallet and sprung for a wee bit of VWIUX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

I have a few more thoughts on Pimco CEFs.  As per the rules, I am starting a new thread, in case anyone is interested.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

A small add to FSMEX, purely on IHI closing down a percent. I’ll let this “explore” position get up to around 2% of equity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Moved a large amount of cash into BIV. This is classic “ballast” — the “40” in the “60/40”.

MMs are paying zilch, so I want to see some monthly dividends even though I don’t need that income.

I don’t understand the craziness over ultrashort / ultra conservative / cash subs / etc. Just look at a chart of BIV (VBILX), or if you must, BSV (VBIRX), over any reasonable time period, and it beats cash. IMO cash is not a long term-hold in an investment portfolio.

Full disclosure: my ballast is actually between BSV and BIV. I don’t have a problem keeping both.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Today bought PML, QQQX, GOF for a combination of fixed income and growth speculation.

Edit: Prior to market close, submitted a buy order for VPGDX and purchase of BIV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020


For some reason, I’ve felt like adding more frequently to my discretionary taxable account for the past weeks.  Today, added a bit to my holdings of VVIAX (large value index) and VIGAX (large growth index), and initiated a position in IJS (small cap value ETF).  I already hold the Vanguard small value index, but IJS is “smaller” (in terms of Morningstar boxes, the Vanguard fund ranges significantly into midcaps, while IJS is pure small cap).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020


@chang wrote:

Moved a large amount of cash into BIV. This is classic “ballast” — the “40” in the “60/40”.

MMs are paying zilch, so I want to see some monthly dividends even though I don’t need that income.

I don’t understand the craziness over ultrashort term / ultra conservative / cash sub / etc. funds. Just look at a chart of BIV (VBILX), or if you must, BSV (VBIRX), over any reasonable time period, and it beats cash. IMO cash is not a long term-hold in an investment portfolio.

Full disclosure: my ballast is actually between BSV and BIV. I don’t have a problem keeping both.

 


@chang  in your taxable account, would you use VWSUX as a "ballast" in your 40%? The peak to trough was 3.17% from 3/9 to 3/20.

Hootz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Asia drama is causing me to cut in half my holding of MATFX. I thought about buying the dip but decided the dip may get deeper. If it was just US / China drama I'd discount it as noise but the internal HK stuff is troubling. After shopping for white patent leather golfing shoes and matching belt I re-allocated to VWELX.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020


@Hootz wrote:
@chang  in your taxable account, would you use VWSUX as a "ballast" in your 40%? The peak to trough was 3.17% from 3/9 to 3/20.

Definitely not. It’s too short duration. That’s exactly my point about cash being trash.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020


@rhythmmethod wrote:

Asia drama is causing me to cut in half my holding of MATFX. I thought about buying the dip but decided the dip may get deeper. If it was just US / China drama I'd discount it as noise but the internal HK stuff is troubling.


And I almost bought the dip on Friday ... but decided to wait. I’m more inclined to buy than sell, but I need to exercise patience here.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

 

Am concerned about evident slippage in Pimco CEF coverage ratios.   Took gains on half my PFN position.

Demand for energy appears to be growing. Technicals good.  Returned to FILL, added yet again to NRGX and also bought new positions in shippers EURN and FRO, both with big XDs ahead.   Gold has plateaued?   Took gains on remaining GDX and 1/4 my position in IAU.   Silver seems ok for now.     Might do some more trades later today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Trading some risk for EDV and VWELX (VWENX). I'll post why (long answer) on a new thread so as not to disrupt the B/S/W thread. Be well. rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

 

Turning out to be a happy day, though precious metals are definitely slipping.  Sold half my remaining & still large positions in SLV and IAU for good gains.    Sold entire remaining PCI and won't return until their coverage clarifies -- which will likely happen quite soon, if history is any judge.     With some of the cash bought speculative position in ALINpB.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Sold PML and replaced it with PKO. Since PIMCO CEFs move in the same direction as stocks and one another, I prefer to have the latter than the former in my portfolio.

Bought ETO (Eaton Vance Tax-Advantaged Global Dividend Opportunities Fund) a CEF. It adds some international to my U.S. holdings.

Sold VPGDX after wondering why I bought it yesterday. Vanguard combined its three monthly payout funds into one and renamed it. The monthly dividend is primarily ROC, but I prefer that in a CEF not an OEF. 

 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Order placed to add to FSPGX (LG index), based on the weakness in today’s Nasdaq futures (plus yesterday’s disparity).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020


@jmrdnc wrote:

Sold VPGDX after wondering why I bought it yesterday. Vanguard combined its three monthly payout funds into one and renamed it. The monthly dividend is primarily ROC, but I prefer that in a CEF not an OEF. 

 

VPGDX looks like a very crappy fund.  Fully 1/2 of its 62% equity is in foreign.  Int'l has lagged for so many years and I see absolutely no reason to think it will outperform US in the foreseeable future.

 

 


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

The Vanguard Quant Group apparently


@bigsteve wrote:

@jmrdnc wrote:

Sold VPGDX after wondering why I bought it yesterday. Vanguard combined its three monthly payout funds into one and renamed it. The monthly dividend is primarily ROC, but I prefer that in a CEF not an OEF. 

 

VPGDX looks like a very crappy fund.  Fully 1/2 of its 62% equity is in foreign.  Int'l has lagged for so many years and I see absolutely no reason to think it will outperform US in the foreseeable future.

 

 


 



The Vanguard Quant Group must believe international has better potential than U.S.  I did get out $336.47 above purchase price. Of course, had no idea about how the one day turn around would go.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

 

Precious metals continue looking tired.  Sold all remaining SLV & IAU for good gains  (not as good if I'd sold them Friday).  Also sold out of ASA; small loss.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Added to XBI. I put in a small order before the open at $100, which I did not expect to fill. But I see now that it did.

Biotechs down for a few days, but obviously a great long-term future (for those that don’t go bust).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Order in for my first nibble of MATFX. Looking at MCHI and GXC, Chinese holdings in US funds should be priced lower today. MATFX looks to me like the best way to obtain smartly-managed China exposure (strictly imo).

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.