cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Gold hesitates while silver continues strong.    Took gains in a block of GDX. 

Added to NRGX.    Bought opening position in QQQX, since I had almost no equity positions at all.  In the Roth, bought opening preferred position in HPS for the yield.

Regret selling CWX last week for a loss.  It had a terrific up morning today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Orders in for today:

- Kicking TIBIX out of my Roth IRA. Will be replaced tomorrow.

- Kicking DODFX out of my taxable account.

I doubt either of them will bounce more than twice before they land in the street.

I am tempted to move some cash into municipal bonds, which are showing strong NAV momentum rise, but I want to keep more cash at the ready this week in case we get a reversal of today’s gains. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

One more: selling MIPIX (same as MAPIX). It’s a small, non strategic position. And performance has lagged. Management commentaries reviewed, and I wasn’t impressed. I won’t add, so why hold? Bye.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Order in to fill up my Roth IRA (emptied of TIBIX yesterday at a nice price) with TRBCX.

Not the most inspiring or original choice; going with the herd here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Added a little to SEMMX.

Can’t get more contrarian then this fund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Bought a full position of BSTZ which is being pumped by Doug Albo on Seeking Alpha:  https://seekingalpha.com/article/4348028-equity-cefs-big-fat-opportunity-in-bstz-technology-cef

BSTZ continues to sell at a discount, and it has first-class management -- same as BST.  At the same time I sold the overvalued STK, which yields more but has weaker track record than BST.

The gamble with BSTZ is that small and medium tech will be as productive as the elephant-sized tech in BST, and that a more international approach to tech in BSTZ will work as well as the slightly  more U.S. centered BST.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added to ETW. Nice discount. Paying 10.7%

Goes x in 2 days

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Entire precious metal panel continues strong; my ASA,  GDX, SLV & IAU all trending up.   SLVO went XD today with a surprise 3% dist this month (22 cents).    Added small amounts here and there to  NCV,  HPS,  NRGX,  HFRO  and AMLP.   A good day, but I think this market is short term, and depends on virus statistics.  Makes TechAnal more important than ever, IMO.   Then again, am not sure public would meekly accept another lock-down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added a bit to my holdings of Vanguard International Core Stock Fund and Vanguard Emerging Markets Index.  Why?  Still a smidgen below where I want to be in terms of international stock as a fraction of total holdings, and at this point the U.S. market has fallen a bit less than foreign markets this year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I just bought BKN (BlackRock Investment Quality Municipal) CEF.  Cash to invest and have been out of this space for awhile.

Edit to add: bought BSV and VCSH

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

In my Fidelity account, sell orders for Fidelity Select Health Care (FSPHX) and Fidelity Large Cap Core Enhanced Index (FLCEX), proceeds to purchase Fidelity Conservative Income Bond (FCONX).  Also have a separate purchase order for FCONX with some money on file.

Decided that I was letting some "mission creep" into the portfolio.  My overall objective has been to invest in stocks and/or funds that pay out distributions, be it dividends or interest income.  Kinda got carried away with the Fidelity account and started going with funds that depend mostly on capital gains.  If I had more money, I wouldn't mind the wider diversification, but I'm a small investor of limited means, so I need to be super focused on the main objective, and try not to be distracted by the bright shiny funds that are so tempting.

FCONX looks like a good holding place for some money, and overall my portfolio actually is equity heavy right now, what with the buying I did in March and April, so a conservative bond fund might not be a bad idea right now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Adding a smidgen of FSMEX (Med. Equip.) on the drop in IHI toward the closing bell. Building this up slowly but surely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Adding a small bit to VZ, VDIGX and TRBCX at drop on the bell.  Things may not be good in paradise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Sold PIMIX in my taxable. (still own in IRA's)

Sold Biogen (BIIB) at $311. Booking my 42% gain.
Bought in the sell off last year and when
PRIMECAP was being questioned about owning it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold some QUAL and USMV Monday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

Adding a smidgen of FSMEX (Med. Equip.) on the drop in IHI toward the closing bell. Building this up slowly but surely.

What gives FSMEX the edge over IHI?

I notice in various time frame compare charts, the funds performance tracks almost identical.  But concede, in last month, FSEMX did better in rebound.  Does this justify FSEMX higher expense ratio of about 0.7%, versus IHI at about 0.3%?

TIA

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@retiredat48 wrote:
What gives FSMEX the edge over IHI?

I don’t have good answers, but:

1) I don’t like market cap-weighted index funds with a few huge, permanent top positions, 70% exposure in the Top 10 holdings, etc.

2) Recent performance 

3) Active management in the face of a rapidly evolving health care sector

4) This will always be an “explore”-sized holding, so the difference in ER won’t be a big needle mover in the big picture.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Some not-too-exciting FI orders in for today:

(1) Sell PFMIX (PIMCO I/G Muni).

Proceeds into VWIUX (Vanguard I/G Muni). Merging a smaller, non-strategic holding into a larger one, to reduce costs and simplify.

(2) Sell S/T and US/T bond fund positions in SWSBX (equivalent to BSV), VUSFX and a little JPST.

Proceeds into BIV (same as VBILX Vanguard I/T fund).

EDIT: Holding off on buying BIV today ... the price is running away from me ... why are bond prices soaring when everyone is buying stock?

Basically, simplifying and moving my  “core” FI into the I/T space.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Bought:AOFIX,ACFOX,SDSCX and COTZX.

Slowly getting back into market. 

Regards, Ron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Slightly OT. 
There appears to be a lot of animosity & dissension towards posters who post trades on this forum.
It's completely understandable.
Going forward, why don't we ALL start posting our trade confirmations?
I will start off. Here is a snap of my position in BIIB a few minutes before the trade executed.
I redacted the total dollar amounts/position size because they are not relevant (and nobody's business) but the percentage of profit/loss is. 

Anyone else want to step up to the plate?

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.