cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

1. Initiated a 401K rollover, which will trigger a full liquidation of VPMAX and VWENX positions today. So expect a 1000 point jump in the Dow at tomorrow's open.

This money will be out of the market for 7-10 days. Hence I’m hoping there won’t be a melt up. But I’ve got ready cash to throw into SPY if I need to ride a wave with my 401k check in the mail.

2. Bought 500s BIV.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Today I bought IUSG (iShares Core S&P U.S. Growth ETF). So with yesterday's purchase of IUSB, I have a 50/50 allocation combo. Chose growth which seems to be hot now. What could go wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Bought entry level into VBILX (low 5-figures).  Treasuries and corporates without securitized bonds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Order in to buy into I/G-I/T muni fund VWIUX with $50k. Seems like a good time to build up muni positions. Tax equivalent yields are OK, and they still have plenty of room to rise to recover lost ground.

This will actually be the most conservative muni bond fund I own (have plenty of HY).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Added more shares of RTX and first time buy of KMB.

RTX to growth side and KMB to income. Got to keep both sides happy! :)

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Trades this morning:

Added once again to gold, this time via NUGT (2x leveraged miners).  Will probably sell it quickly.  Also added again to PFN.  My gambit with ET worked OK, but I probably would have netted out better had I just done nothing.  Anyway, it's up today as well as starting its recovery late yesterday as expected.   Gold, nat gas transport, BNDX and PFN are now my four biggest positions.   Bought a smallish new position in NLY.  On the Merrill Lynch BUY list, heckuva yield, chart neutral, though.

Market feels scary high, held aloft by just a few of the biggest names. I really feel I should return to hedging -- but am still fighting against the bad old "trade my hunches" habit.   Still have plenty of cash, though.

Wife hasn't gone shopping for over a month now.  It's working wonders for my checking account.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@richardsok wrote:

Trades this morning:

Gold, nat gas transport, BNDX and PFN are now my four biggest positions.  Market feels scary high, held aloft by just a few of the biggest names. I really feel I should return to hedging -- but am still fighting against the bad old "trade my hunches" habit.   Still have plenty of cash, though.

Hi @richardsok, What are you using for gold? Not GLD as I remember and I think you hold some mining. TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

IAU:   lots.       GDV: some.    NUGT: new position    Am very intrigued by GLDI, covered call gold, but am leery of it b/c it is such a small fund.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

1. Followed copie and added to RTX.

2. Canceled earlier order for VWIUX (munis) and placed it again with double the amount.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Not a buy or sale today but wanted to note, EVD, my hedge-lite I purchased is up > 2% today. Strange that on an up equity day it's up so much. Sometimes it moves up or down with equity but I've never seen it move THAT much in tandem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

I think you meant EDV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Added some more WFC to our existing position at $25.5/ share. Have some higher cost basis WFC I will probably sell later for a loss (after 31 days), overall still have a losing position there. 

Have not sold these positions YET: RDS.A, HSBC, WY, but have limit orders on all three as they have cut their dividends. I liked WY, but (traditionally) have sold positions when a company cuts its dividend. 

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Early trades:

NUGT popped strong this morning after climbing nicely yesterday.   Took my profits right here.    Don't like holding 2x leveraged ponies over night and I have plenty of g mining exposure in GDV.   Meanwhile, have been watching silver, which is still extremely low in its historical price relation with gold.   Although it had a wild moment 2011-2012 when it traded in the 30s and 40s, silver is still in a "Corona-dip" along with everything else.... almost exactly where it was 15 years ago.    And we've never been flooded with such torrents of liquidity before. Bought SLV.   

Technicals in BNDX erode for the third straight day.  Sold half my position to take a new position in CVX, to put my money where my mouth is.

Plenty more to look at. Pimco CEFs went X today, but that does it for now.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@richardsok wrote:

I think you meant EDV.

Yep, sorry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bought AAPL at close yesterday at 303.6.  Now 305.75 at 10:05 even though it went ex dividend. Purchasing FAANG +MSFT because they will assist companies in increasing productivity which will drive economic recovery. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Bought BHK (BlackRock Core Bond Trust CEF) and sold a single share position of GBF (iShares Govt/Credit Bond ETF) from a partial fill of a limit order. I had planned to either sell the share or add to it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

1. Sold MAVAX, will buy MIAPX on Monday because I missed the AIP cutoff on Fido’s web site.

2. Sold PRIJX, bought APDYX.

“Why” for 1 and 2: Leaving value for growth

3. Sold PUCZX - goodbye to all overpriced, overhyped, fancy-shmancy MS funds with B.S. web sites but what they really do is throw risk management out the window to chase yield. 

4. Added a bit more FSMEX. Building this up very slowly on days when IHI lags.

Many trades planned for next week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

4% on WFC ?  That then pretty much assures the dividend on the WFC-L.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Sold EPRPRG with modest profit and bought IRM.  The latter seems to have a much better business model for coping with the pandemic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Accumulating WFC as well. Agree on the dividend cut which is fine with me and I am an income investor. There is a good bit of price appreciation ahead of this stock when we get 12-18 months out. The dividend will come back at some point as well. Long term on this one.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.