Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

B/S/W  MAY  2020

Perhaps it bears repeating for newcomers:

Each month in the Buy/Sell/Why thread we report our recent trades -- and our reasons why -- for the benefit of the community.   Timeliness is key.

We generally keep our posts rather brief, but certainly actionable and pithy.   No rambling dissertations, please.   

Questions & answers are welcome if they are to the point.  Anything about to devolve into a conversation should be shunted over to another thread.    

Thanks & Good luck.

153 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY May 2020

Shortly before yesterday's close I bought a position in VXX for a hedge.    At today's open I sold small positions in GAIN and FFTY and one very large buy in BNDX (12% of port value).   My large position in ET was hit hard at the bell, but am holding b/c it has an enormous ex-div due May 6.  Am confident it will bounce back to catch that; if not, will hold for the bucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@richardsok wrote:

Shortly before yesterday's close I bought a position in VXX for a hedge.    At today's open I sold small positions in GAIN and FFTY and one very large buy in BNDX (12% of port value).  

Hey @richardsok , just for my clarification, you bought today, BND, not sold a larger block you previously bought, right? I’ve been thinking of opening BND, thus my interest. I remember from a previous thread you were already holding it. TIA 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Hi rhythm --

BND is total bond mkt.     BNDX is international bond mkt.      I bought BNDX this morning. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Still hold BND but indicators are weakening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Thanks @richardsok. Got it. I bot (very) small allocation of VDIGX and TRBCX. I trimmed AMZN a few days back. It's still my single largest single equity holding  so getting spanked today. I'll follow BNDX. I just decided to go with PIMIX for a while in addition to cash and EDV for FI OEF... Shrugging shoulders. Good luck out there. We might both be in VWIAX before this craziness is over. HAHA.

@richardsok wrote:

Still hold BND but indicators are weakening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Purchased 14 and 17 shares respectively in VTI and VIG following 2 days of equity drops.

edit/add: picked up additional shares of VWIAX in 2 IRA accounts, consistent with our 30-35% equity / 65-70% bond portfolio.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Added to FSMEX. Tiny adds will eventually build up a meaningful position.
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I recently bought a position in GPMCX.  This fund reopened to new investors who invest directly.  Why?  I am impressed with Grandeur Peak as a firm.  It is a unique, niche fund (Global Micro) that I have been intrigued by for a while from the outside looking in . . .

Also, this probably won't be a popular move on this forum, I bought a position in LLSCX.  This is another fund that I have long wanted to own and have now been given the opportunity.  I realize it has under-performed for a while.  I listened to the Longleaf podcast where they discussed the opportunities they are seeing in the small cap area and their reasons for reopening the fund.  I think the fund has a unique strategy that I would like exposure to (small, deep value).  I am keeping the position as a small part of my overall stock allocation since it is higher risk.  I plan to hold for a long time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Trimming AMZN, again. It's still my largest holding and I expect to be repurchasing more at a lower price sometime. A long term bet against Bezos is not one I want to make. Also trimming some FI OEF. Basically, raising cash. Why - I expect to spend it at a lower price basis on equities before this mess is over. But, I'm frequently wrong. This may be the perfect contrarian move some have been looking for. Be safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Having bought a very big position in BNDX last week, am selling BND.  Any potential upside is severely constrained (imo) for such a big over-allocation for me.     I was very disappointed with the latest 3-month PKO numbers out of Pimco.   Sold it all.

Bought a small opening position in GLOPpA.  Intend to buy a lot more, but hope to get it at lower price.    The beaten down natural gas arena offers some great yields (fully earned).

Lastly, added a little more gold, via IAU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

OK.   As posted several times in the last couple of weeks I've taken on a very large allocation in ET, both in IRA and taxable accounts.   It's done well and I am now up 33%.  At its present cost it's yielding an enormous 15.5% and has ex-div  5/6.  I'm going to speculate that on Wednesday ET will drop by more than the .32 it is due to pay out and then recover.  So I'm selling the entire block in the IRA, but keeping the shares in the taxable account to avoid creating a big short term taxable event.      ET is up to 7.98 this afternoon.  If I can re-purchase it for less than 7.66 on Wednesday in the IRA I'll be ahead.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@richardsok wrote:

I'm going to speculate that on Wednesday ET will drop by more than the .32 it is due to pay out and then recover.  So I'm selling the entire block in the IRA, but keeping the shares in the taxable account to avoid creating a big short term taxable event.   

Gutsy call! Wishing you the best of luck!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

1. Sold all IISIX. List confidence in hyped-up, funky MS bond funds. Keeping it simple from now on.

2. Bought GPRIX and GPMCX. Extensively discussed on the Grandeur Peaks thread in the MF forum.

3. Added a sliver to VPCCX. LT hold, buy while it’s down.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Alert those who follow me as a contrary indicator. I just sold hedge VXX for loss. You can expect market to crash tomorrow.
GEO, one of the most savagely detested companies among the social justice folks, has returned to near support. I bought a small opening position in the hated stock for its extraordinary fully earned dividend.

Tomorrow morning will tell how yesterday's ET trade will turn out. Watching.
GLOP preferreds are up while the common has slipped. Added a bit to the common.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I bought IUSB (iShares Core Total USD Bond Market ETF) today. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Small order for WFC filled at 25.50. I have a larger one at 25.25.  I'll expect the almost 8% div to be cut possibly in 1/2. I also topped off EDV while I'm at it. Be safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

As expected, ET dropped sharply today on its ex-div.   My breakeven point from my Monday sale was that it should drop to 7.66 or below today.    I re-purchased half the sold shares for 7.58 this afternoon.    Will try to pick up some more at about 7.45 or so if it gets that low.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added to NRO. Good discount. Paying >14%

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Added significantly to PFN ahead of its ex-div soon.    Also added a bit more exposure to gold via GDV (gold miners.)

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.