Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY, MARCH 2020

thanks ctyankee for link

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Sold all Mint position today. Looking for opportunities.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

A lot of low ball limit orders executed today - PCI, PDI, PFL,DMO,DBL. DSL,KMI, THW, GSK etc.

Sold a lil PIMIX to raise cash. Small buys in the mf land - GQGPX, MINDX, GPGOX, RNWOX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

I am more of a lurker and not post though I have been coming here since 2005.

I rolledover my 401K to an IRA in 2018 Nov/Dec period and kept the funds in money market fund thinking market was high and that I would wait for a correction. It was a painful wait as market continue to go up and I was repenting. I invested a bit here and there but not much. 

Started investing in the last two almost on all days when market was going down like how Chang does :-), and invested almost half of that cash. 

In the last two weeks:

• Bought my first stock BRK.B since 2006 (stopped investing directly in stocks from then)
  • Increased my stake in VDIGX making it the largest fund that I own pushing VMVFX to second position
  • Innvested more in VMVFX
  • Starrted new positons in VWIGX, VWUSX, PRNEX, USAGX
  • Reallocated 401k funds from Trowprice 2035 fund to that fund, American balanced fund in equal portions in addition to starting small positions in VWILX and TRBCX
  • Sold ARTKX after holding since 2006
  • Sold HJPSX after holding it for an year+ and consolidated 
  • Initiated a small position in TREMX (a wish I had to keep emeriging markets focussing on 3 regions - Asia, Latin America and Emerging Europe, and use rebalncing between them. Doubt, it will work as they all have high correlation these days, but giving it a try. Since most diversifified EM funds are Asia bent, so I am treating ARTYX as that, and hold PRLAX and TREMX)

In the last few months:

• Initiated startING positions in WAINX and MCSMX
  • Sold SFGIX and increased stake in ARTYX
  • Increated VDIGX stake in small amounts 

•  

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Had what I thought was a seriously low ball limit order for MMM trip today. Never thought a price of $137 would get filled when it was at $141.xx after dropping 5% before the open. Down a little bit, but that should be expected, I suppose. Had a $29 order for PFE go unfilled. 

Why? In both cases, the dividend (4.4% and 5.1% respectively) and the long view.

I find it hard to fathom that these prices will not be looked back on favorably at some point in the not too distant future.

On a side note, T's FDY is 6.64%. Are people going to start using less cellphones and internet? In approximately two years I plan to retire, from that perspective dividend aristocrats are my current focus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Adding a few more shares of ET and PCI right at the open. same reasons.

BTW, I see that NHF has slashed its distributions in half, from .20 to .10 monthly.    Delighted I don't own any.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Yesterday - Sold approx 45% of JMUTX & PIMIX to raise cash for near future investment.

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold VFH (vanguard financial index). It's basically a tax swap with the intent of purchasing JPM on next downdraft.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

GMZ has deleveraged its portfolio and, I assume, finished selling what it had to -- at the worst possible time.   It's price is now 1.40 (unimaginable a few weeks ago). Their published distribution rates are meaningless as they are certain to slash their pay-outs.     I believe all the bad news is out -- and the fund is priced at 14% discount.    Believing that their yield AFTER their distribution cuts will nevertheless be attractive, I bought an opening position today speculating on a possible bounce.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Order to buy POAGX. Yesterday's NAV met my target, and them some, Adding risk assets in Roth.

Order to sell VTINX in taxable to book a small tax loss. Proceeds to Chase for a cash incentive, because God Bless America, we give away money if you are fortunate enuff to already have money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Bought KO @ $47.88 and SCHD @ 45.19.  Between yesterday and today I've spent just about all of my money from the bond funds.  I had planned on stretching out my purchases a bit more, but after seeing the market move up, I decided to take a chance and go out with a bang.  The KO purchase is the largest single stock buy I've ever made.  I just think that people are going to start seeing the market as oversold, and no doubt the administration will introduce various programs to stimulate the economy and goose the stock market.  So, if the market goes lower, oh well, I've got a little left in reserve, but not much.  The good thing is that I'm buying KO and SCHD with the idea of a long term hold, so if the prices dip, at least I still bought at a fairly good price.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@rcmuskula wrote:

I rolledover my 401K to an IRA in 2018 Nov/Dec period and kept the funds in money market fund thinking market was high and that I would wait for a correction. It was a painful wait as market continue to go up and I was repenting. I invested a bit here and there but not much. 

Started investing in the last two almost on all days when market was going down like how Chang does :-), and invested almost half of that cash. 

In the last two weeks:

• Bought my first stock BRK.B since 2006 (stopped investing directly in stocks from then)
  • Increased my stake in VDIGX making it the largest fund that I own pushing VMVFX to second position
  • Reallocated 401k funds from Trowprice 2035 fund to that fund, American balanced fund in equal portions in addition to starting small positions in VWILX and TRBCX
  • Initiated a small position in TREMX (a wish I had to keep emeriging markets focussing on 3 regions - Asia, Latin America and Emerging Europe, and use rebalncing between them. Doubt, it will work as they all have high correlation these days, but giving it a try. Since most diversifified EM funds are Asia bent, so I am treating ARTYX as that, and hold PRLAX and TREMX)

In the last few months:

•  

WOW! Looks like you are starting over with a new portfolio? Lots of international and material sector, any reason for making these investments? Most readers are not going to look up all the tickers and my guess, few know them ?

I do like VDIGX and TRBCX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

In addition to my KO and SCHD purchases today, I had also put in a buy order for more Franklin Income (FKIQX).  It was finally processed an hour or two ago at $1.98, up a bit from Thursday's close of 1.91 where I made my initial purchase.  I figured it would be a few pennies more since the market was moving up, but I also figured that it would probably not go over the $2.00 mark, and I wanted to get one more buy in at a good, sub-$2.00 price.  

I've only got a few hundred dollars left from my bond sales, so it's pretty much back to me investing (or saving) a bit each month.  Wish I had more money to invest, but at the same time I'm pleased with my purchases, and I think I've laid a good groundwork for a portfolio based mostly on income oriented equities.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

@FatKat wrote:

@rcmuskula wrote:

In the last two weeks:

In the last few months:

•  

WOW! Looks like you are starting over with a new portfolio? Lots of international and material sector, any reason for making these investments? Most readers are not going to look up all the tickers and my guess, few know them ?

I do like VDIGX and TRBCX.

Hi FatKat,

60% of my Portfolio (across all kinds of IRAs) is in just five funds - VDIGX, VMVFX, AKREX, VHCOX, and VIAAX excluding 401k (I am having difficulty in tracking 401k on M* portfoilio as funds get added bi-weekly with paychecks, so not sure how others do it). 

I am increasingly becoming adventurous in the recent past, coming out of my conservative investor shell. That is why, I invested in PRNEX (Trow Price Natural Resources fund). I never invested in a Precious metal fund, so USAGX is a first for me. For the same reason, I invested in China small cap and India fund. All of them are a small percentage of my portoflio (kinda Core & Satellite style of investing)

I always kept my international 40%+ as I believe in diverisifcation across the Globe even though it did not benefit in the recent past.

Still significant cash lin in MM fund. Hope, I will continue to get good opportunities to invest in this turmoil.

I have at least 15 years to retirement and I am not at all worried about this correction/bear market. (Lost a great opportunity to go 100% stocks in early 2009. Oildog, being a astutue investor did that, whereas I, amatuer investor, mulled over, but did not)

Sorry for too many grammitical mistakes in my first post. I should have proofred it before posting.

- Mrc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

After this morning's market stop ...

BOUGHT UNH, PML, PMF, IRT, WFCPRX

With the market coming back, will take a look for additional panic selling this afternoon, but otherwise, done for the day.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Put in a small order for some FXAIX, Fidelity 500 index and a limit order for USMV, if prices fall as low as this morning again today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

fcmuskula...thanks for your post.

Best wishes on your rollover.

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Some buying, SCHD, OHI, JPM, FPF, MSFT, DSL. Looking to replace OEF FI with hi yielding  (w/exception of MSFT) LCV (w/ exception of OHI, DSL) Many of these are watermark positions for future reference. Take care, rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Put in an order for more VDADX divi growth, will go through at close.

Glad to catch another dead cat bounce. Thud.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Used the last of my money from the bond fund sales, just bought a few shares of SCHD at $43 and change (forgot the exact amount), and then put in buy orders for two of my mutual funds, Franklin Utility (FKUQX) and Franklin Income (FKIQX).  

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.