cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY, MARCH 2020

BOUGHT IRT   

This REIT funded my charitable gifts as a highly appreciated stock.  Hoping for round two but will live with the dividend either way.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Placed order to Sell a portion of VGWAX in Roth to fund future purchase of POAGX if it reaches my mental limit order of $35.50 (down 25% from high).

I plan to lose my fortune in a planned, disciplined, methodical manner :)

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

ctyankee...any M* thread on IRT?  Or a link to any analysis of.

Thanks

R48Mets

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Bought more VDADX at the close.

Will it go lower , yes probably!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@retiredat48 wrote:

ctyankee...any M* thread on IRT?  Or a link to any analysis of.

Thanks

R48Mets

Hope this link works, if not, it can be had at Fidelity 

https://www.argusresearch.com/pdfdownload.aspx?id=Z1VOWjBVSXRSUDBnK2d0b0FVUGRyN2pwdnNNUGYwUDYrdnNmUj...

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Sold all of my FTBFX for a lessor gain. It did not look good for the fund, I'm keeping some bond funds high in government notes for now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Purchased some of DGRO and  QUAL today, the later ended in the green!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Sold my bond OEFs: PONAX, FIJEX, and SEMPX.  Reasons why articulated in my post on DT Conroe's bond thread.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Is this what they mean by March Madness?

Bought a little DIS.  It has a lot of issues in the land of Corona, but I think it is a long term buy below $100.

erryl

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Bought another 500 shares USB this AM, banks have REALLY sold off, now selling below book value- pretty crazy! Their selling down to 2008-2009 levels. Yes, they are going to have a TOUGH time generating profits in this low (or no) interest rate environment, but I don’t see the stronger banks going belly up. But the markets continue to drop like a rock! Looking at placing several other low ball orders, main “issue” is I may run out of cash!

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Added to SCHD @ $44, doubling my initial Feb. 28th position. Cash for this came from not reinvesting dividends last year in taxable, which I do because I don't like buying tiny amounts (cost basis complexity) , and want to pull from that pool of cash to pay whatever taxes are owed. Whatever is left over gets spent or invested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@DJANG0  SCHD has been in my PF in past but dropped last year due to duplication with SCHX/SCHV in same PF.  Do you think it'd better than either of those if i want to add to equity from a bond fund at these lower prices? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Bought KO @ $47.16 and added to SCHD @ 44.04.  Have buy orders in on the following mutual funds, will be filled today:

American Funds Capital Income Builder (CAIBX)

Schwab Fundamental Global Real Estate Index (SFREX)

Franklin Income (FKIQX)

Franklin Utilities (FKUQX)

Buying Franklin Utilities as a complement to SCHD, which is very light on utilities.  Franklin Income is prone to big ups and downs for their category, but I've always liked the fund.  It should be down big today.  I like their focus on income, and they tend to have a portfolio that is, at least in part, a bit different.  The real estate fund I'm intending on holding for the long term, and I'm thinking that lower interest rates might eventually be beneficial to REIT investments, when all the dust settles from the current bloodletting.  

Had to do this before a medical appointment this afternoon.  I have no doubt that my purchases will be even lower by end of day, but like I said before, I can't pick the exact bottom.  I still have plenty (for me) dry powder from yesterday's bond OEF sales, so, needless to say, I'll be watching events and the market very closely.

EDIT TO ADD:  If tomorrow is another down day, or even just flat, I will do some more buying.  The administration will have all weekend to cook up something, or several somethings, to stem the tide.  Too many Important People are losing real money, and that is not to be tolerated for any length of time.  Nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - would surprise me.  Including closing down the stock market.  We are, indeed, living in interesting times right now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@mikes425 wrote:

@DJANG0  SCHD has been in my PF in past but dropped last year due to duplication with SCHX/SCHV in same PF.  Do you think it'd better than either of those if i want to add to equity from a bond fund at these lower prices? 

I think on a total return basis, they will be similar. If you are looking specifically for dividend income, I'd prefer the one designed to provide that, SCHD.

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

This AM took some profits on HIX, PCI, and CSCO still room to go if necessary.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Didn't think we'd see PCI regularly distributing 10% again, but here we are.  And if we don't have a full-blown depression ahead of us,  ET appears to be a table-pounding buy.   If I had any guts I'd back up the truck on both; but being the gutless coward that I am, bought 500sh of one and 1000 of the other.   Even with 40% cash in my IRA, I took a vicious hit this morning -- as bad (or worse) than any one-day from 2008.     Too late to sell any more, so I have to ride with the distributions.

The good news is that the new volatility is wonderful for trading options spreads.  Even with the vicious bid/asks, I'm hitting "net green" on almost every trade.   Most trades are 48 hours or less in duration.   Only times I get into trouble is when I try to get cute and close out one leg without unwinding its counter-position at the same time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

BOUGHT ABBV, DIS, CVS, IGR, SAN, AMZN, PTY, PMX, PML, NEV, WFC, TWO

Believe WFC (which is under restrictions anyway) will cover any financial matters, but SAN is quite risky, in my view.   

Will be looking at UNH and some more CEF Munis tomorrow and maybe some more financials.  No appetite for anything to do with travel or petroleum yet.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Been watching MSFT for awhile and today got a toe hold at $140.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Took out the knife again took profits on FCNTX, FSLPX, and YAFFX, as I had been doing before at the highs. I really don't want to trim so much as I know that I won't be able to eventually catch a buyback if this ever ends, but I see no relief on the horizon.  Now close to 42% cash.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

bought some USMV for under $55 at end of day and some individual stocks

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.