cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY, MARCH 2020

purchased a little bit of USMV and DGRO. Also bought some NEAR because in tends to move slightly with the market.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Bought
RDSB Shell $34.50
OIH    Oil Services $5.05 
OXY   Occidental Petroleum $14
M       Macy's  $10.25
VYMI Vanguard International High Div Yield $50.25
Sold another slung of PIGIX - Pimco Investment Grade
Sold some PVOXX - Money Market
Exchanged VHYAX Vanguard High Div Yield for
VGENX Vanguard Energy

Edit: also added BSCFX - Brown International Small Companies
                           MSCFX - Mairs & Power Small Cap

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Decided to go ahead and start buying. With FEAR the dominant emotion on Wall Street, it’s VERY hard to pick a “bottom”, this is probably going to go on for a while. Started today with adding a total of 20K to our two ROTH 401-K’s (my wife and I each have one through my practice), $5K in my wife’s balanced fund (VBIAX) and 5K into her Vang. Tot. Intl. Stock fund (VTIAX). Added 5K to two of my funds (total of 10K), Vang. Tot. Intl. Stock fund (VTIAX) and Vang. Emerging Markets Fund (VEMAX). This cash was already in the two accounts, sitting in money markets “waiting for a permanent home”. 

Yes, we may see lower lows, possibly MUCH lower lows, but I see this as LONG term money- for our eventual retirements, so I’m going to gradually start deploying it. We had built up a significant “cash” percentage, close to 10%. So it’s going to be gradually deployed.

Win
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

@Win1177 wrote:

Decided to go ahead and start buying. With FEAR the dominant emotion on Wall Street, it’s VERY hard to pick a “bottom”, this is probably going to go on for a while. Started today with adding a total of 20K to our two ROTH 401-K’s (my wife and I each have one through my practice), $5K in my wife’s balanced fund (VBIAX) and 5K into her Vang. Tot. Intl. Stock fund (VTIAX). Added 5K to two of my funds (total of 10K), Vang. Tot. Intl. Stock fund (VTIAX) and Vang. Emergency. Mats. Fund (VEMAX)......*snip*

Is that fund a bet on FEMA and disasters?! That’s awesome!!! Hahaha (obviously a fun auto correct)

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Darn autocorrect! Good catch- should be Vanguard Emerging Markets Fund Admiral (VEMAX). I wouldn’t want to invest in FEMA, sure money loser, although Emerging Markets and International haven't down much better lately.

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

On Monday I sold TAIFX at a loss in Taxable account and bought a new position of ITOT at 62.0. Long term hold.

Also added 12k to FXAIX in wife's IRA. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Yesterday, BOUGHT more DIS

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I bought some EPRPRG (a preferred stock of the excellent quality REIT EPR).

I needed to invest some cash earmarked for fixed income, but CD’s and bonds have soared in price (yields tanked). I think these preferred stocks of a large REIT are at least as safe an investment as “junkie” bonds. The preferred stocks are moving opposite of bonds, though... their prices are diving and yields are soaring.

IMHO, it is a good time to be selling bonds and buying preferred stocks. The yield on EPRPRG is 6.25%. You have to get terribly junkie to get that from a bond.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added to ACP. At 1 yr. low. Good discount. Paying 15%. No ROC. 

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Bought EPRPRG, VTR, and APLE.

As market tanks, yields on these securities soar, unlike bonds and CD’s. These securities are only risky if we are headed for Armageddon... if there is Armageddon, it won’t matter what you own. JMHO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold almost all bonds OEFs which is BND and PIGIX. Cash seems like a decent place for a while. I did open a position in VZ and added very little to DSL on its fall. Is this the end of bond OEFs for the near future? rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold PUTIX in taxable, recent decline made my long term capital gain manageable. Took small loss on NRGX to further offset tax consequences.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@erryl wrote:

I bought some EPRPRG (a preferred stock of the excellent quality REIT EPR).

I needed to invest some cash earmarked for fixed income, but CD’s and bonds have soared in price (yields tanked). I think these preferred stocks of a large REIT are at least as safe an investment as “junkie” bonds. The preferred stocks are moving opposite of bonds, though... their prices are diving and yields are soaring.

IMHO, it is a good time to be selling bonds and buying preferred stocks. The yield on EPRPRG is 6.25%. You have to get terribly junkie to get that from a bond.

Hi Erryl,

Nice to see your post !  I have been buying PFFR. Check it out.

I rebalanced the equity side of my portfolio today using roughly 50% of the capital gains I harvested yesterday from bond funds. PFFR got a bit more. It's largest position is in MREITS which are leveraged high-yielders.

Thank  you,

Holiday

edit: XOM has an 8.3% yield.  Tempting, but I have not bought any.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Only yesterday I posted I hoped to get more PCI if it slipped to the point of paying 9%.Though I missed its absolute bottom (don't I always?) I did snag a block today yielding 9.2%    for a 'hold forever'.

I registered a complaint with FINRA this afternoon, pleading an outrageous options execution.   On Friday I entered a four-leg options trade for PNC (long & short calls and long & short puts, differing expiration dates.   In yesterday's market slaughter PNC plunged 15 points, making my over-all  trade very profitable..... so I supposed.    Well, my long call dropped sharply -- as you'd expect -- but what I DIDN'T expect was that the &%$#@ marketmaker priced my short call HIGHER, so that short leg also was a significant loser of $1800 when it should have been approaching zero.   (How can a long call and a short call both RISE in value when the underlying collapses 15 points?)

In my complaint call to Schwab they agreed I had a case and, after talking to the market maker, they reported to me he wouldn't budge.  So I've just written to finra.   We'll see.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I meant to write "How can a long call drop and a short call rise.....?"      No way to edit my posts any more.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Reestablished position in NRO which I sold last August. Paying 10.5%. Going x on 3/13

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Opened small position in OHI at 33.00. Looking to increase dividend equity.

edit to add....added more OHI at 32.00 and DSL at 16.00. Since I’m virtually out of FI OEF I’ll add small increments of yield.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added to AGNC at 14.63

Had sold it 2/28

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Making a minor rebalancing move.  Put in an order for more Wasatch Small Cap Value.  As of yesterday it was 13% below my target allocation and today small cap value is down over 6% according to the M* market barometer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

BOUGHT DOW (the stock not the index).  

If the dividend is cut in half, it will still pay 4.5% ... and I can live with that as things sort out.

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.