cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY, MARCH 2020

Replaced some RCS at near yesterday's low for some sold at about $10.50 last year. (For better or worse.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Was basically at the edge of my rebalance band, so bought some Vanguard total stock market index (VTSAX), small cap value index (VSIAX), and small cap index (VSMAX).   Regular biweekly purchase of VITFX also about to kick in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I took this day to liquidate all of VYM and VBR in non-sheltered accounts. There was little capital gains  implications there. I sold a bit of JMUTX and DODIX in IRAs that I will replace with VWIAX.  VWIAX will be the bulk of my LCV holdings. Reason - I'm continuing to de-risk and with current expected volatility, I like that Wellesley will rebalance for me. I acknowledge there are better bond shops but I think the rebalancing adds value. I also added to PIGIX. Interesting that yesterday my bond OEFs popped like a mother. PIGIX up almost 1%. For someone (not me) that is a bond OEF trader that would be a bad one to miss. Take care.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Took my $2/share gain on the SCHD from Monday. Just feel good money.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Put in a buy order a few minutes ago for the American Funds Capital Income Builder fund (CIBFX).  Why?  Have been debating on adding stocks to my portfolio for a while now, and with this recent leg down, seems like a good time to start.  Will expand on my mlott1 portfolio thread for anyone who might be interested.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

sold OAKBX. Not sure why I did not sell long before.

Buying was under mistaken belief that these funds do well in down market and over whole market cycle they outperform. I fell to some brilliant marketing.

I guess  not selling was pure laziness. Not sure what to replace it with though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Waffle,

Your mention of OAKBX made me check it out and I feel for you.  How in the world this fund still has $10B in AUM collecting annual fees in excess of $80M and M* says about this fund that "Patient investors should be rewarded" is beyond me.   Tough time to decide what to put the money in.   With low interest rates and Govt shoring up asset prices, growth could be a better place in equities to hide.  Fixed income seems to require crystal ball skills.  Pl do post when you figure it out.  A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

After my liquidation of VYM and VBR yesterday (in non-sheltered accounts), I also sold some DODIX and JMUTX in IRAs. Today I purchased 1/3 of desired amount of VWIAX in IRAs. I will let that be my LCV holdings for a while. I'm sitting on more cash, MINT and FI OEFs than ever but I hope to do some selective buying as opportunities present. - rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Poor energy.  Everyone hates it. Gas & oil companies are beaten down to extremes.   Might it be time to make that first tentative buy -- knowing full well it will likely drop further?  I thought to take a small opening position (less than 1% of PV) in XLE when the market was flirting with ANOTHER 1000-pt  massacretoday , just to keep the sector in front of my nose continuously.   But here's SZC selling at an 11% discount with no neg UNII according to CEFdata.  OK, at this level its distribution (paid monthly) is at 14% and, yes, it could very well be cut.  But so what when we're talking miniscule?

Bought just a pinch and hope to watch for a bottom.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi Richardsok,

You might consider NRGX and get 12% while waiting for oil to come back up?

I own it and may buy more.

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Dow 24,000.  Hold on to your suspenders.  A 15% drop is not out of the picture from here.  Enjoy the ride.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Started a position in RCS. Haven't owned it since 2015 when the premium started to go crazy.

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

This week significantly reduced IHI (medical devices), sold last bit of UTG.  Increased Wellesley and VLAAX.  I have 8% of portfolio in TLT.  In equity going more or less neutral - S&P 500 type stocks (USMV, IVV, MTUM) in addition to VLAAX, Wellesley and FBALX.  Trying to hold on!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@acksurfer wrote:

This week significantly reduced IHI (medical devices), 

Hi acksurfer...

Could you please elaborate as to why?  Was this a long term holding for you?

I am considering BUYING IHI, after the dust settles.  Working on "timing".

Thanks in advance.

R48/neversurfer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold ALL my fancy-dance FI OEFs; except PIGIX. Sold JMUTX, PDIIX, DODIX. replaced with BND. Also bot my 2nd lot (of 3) of VWIAX. I'll let PIMCO FI CEFs do the fancy FI stuff and will add as ops present. I don't see compelling values yet except in energy and I'll add to XLE around 40.00. Take care, rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

I will reiterate once more.....alternative investments such as commercial real estate (a holding of mine) and thoroughbred horse racing stable (a holding of mine) is the way to go in this "crazy environment" or any economic setting.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Added a mere sliver to SZC. (Reasons explained above.)

bujia:    NRGX is definitely on my very small watch list, but I prefer SZC for the deeper discount and the regular monthly distribution.  The two funds track each other quite closely.  The sector is so ugly I'm determined to own only one for the time being.    Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Thanks, Richardsok for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Sold some of my EDV today.  

It had gone way over my allocation limit, but considering the current market conditions I still found selling harder than I though.

helmut

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Sold some bonds: PIMIX & PIGIX. 
Bought some Energy: VGENX

Edit: also added to OXY

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.