cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY, MARCH 2020

In the past five years PTY tap danced around par for a couple of weeks during 2016 and it briefly revisited par for a few trading days late 2018.  Other than those two brief windows it has always sold at high premium --- until today when it sells at 9% discount.  Agree we're in uncharted waters and have no idea if PTY's distributions will be maintained going forward.   But at today's 14% yield-on-cost, there's room for an acceptable trimming if trim they must.    Bought a block.

bujia -- wading through the high grass of annual report minutiae has never been my forte -- but CEFdata reports ACP has 65% dist coverage.    No value judgment; just an observation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Averages up just a little, but my "possible" list stocks are up bigly.

EMR up 11%

SBUX up 10.5%

YUMC up 5%

CSCO almost 5%

Methinks the fire sale is over for now. I've got low ball limit orders in on EXC, CSCO, SBUX, CL, EMR & UTX. Just in case Mnuchin, or maybe Kudlow, decide to reassure the markets again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Just bought WFC @$27.61 and KO at $42.06.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@DrVenture wrote:

Methinks the fire sale is over for now. I've got low ball limit orders in on EXC, CSCO, SBUX, CL, EMR & UTX. Just in case Mnuchin, or maybe Kudlow, decide to reassure the markets again.

Hey Doc, It may be that the pros have reallocated, but retail investors, like our BH friends, might get sucker punched when/if hospitals overflow thus creating another leg down. I'm 45% cash and wish it was higher and waiting for another gut punch in April or so. Good luck, rm

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Buying GISYX at today's closing NAV in the aggressive equity sleeve of Roth. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Good buys MLott1! I may add some KO and more WFC soon.

Today, I added some more to my position in DUK (200 more shares), one of our local utilities. Yesterday, added some more MCD (McDonalds- another 100 shares). Have some low ball orders in for some more UNP, CSCO, and GILD. 

Win
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@DJANG0 - why GISYX ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@waffle wrote:

@DJANG0 - why GISYX ?

It and POAGX are the aggressive part of my portfolio. I like that they have a high active share percentage, so not index huggers, and think over the longer term will add performance to my large cap dominated, target date modeled portfolio.

I view this as an opportune time to add risk in accounts I won't need for at least 10 years out. I was way too timid in the Great Recession because of job loss and financial insecurity, but that's changed and won't make the same mistake again. I have a plan, and am sticking to it for the most part.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Added to POAGX & PRWCX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@Win1177  Thanks, I've been nibbling these last few hectic days.  Have long wanted to get back into KO.  I've followed WFC for a long time, and it finally just got too cheap.  Only problem is that I've now used almost all of my money, except for what's under the couch cushions.  

I've always been leery of buying individual utilities, and Franklin Utilities has a very good long term track record.  Not a big yield, but impressive on a total return basis.  For a long time the Franklin funds were load only, or you had to buy through a financial advisor (I think they had no load available for company retirement accounts).  If I had more money I would probably look into a handful of utilities like Duke, Dominion, etc. but for my circumstances it makes more sense to invest in utilities via a mutual fund.  

Have just a little money left in the Schwab account, will probably pro-rate it among my mutual funds on the next down day.  Then that will be it until next month.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I am not buying but I looked over my equity and lots of blood but these had less blood vs the others I own in the sector:

AUENX (Domestic LCB)

SCHD (Domestic LCV)

TBGVX (Int'l LCV)

RIPNX (Int'l Mid/Sm Cap)

TSLX (BDC)

O (REIT)

HTA (REIT)

Just adding some potential shopping items  ......  but of course do your own due diligence.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

@DrVenture wrote:

Hey Doc, It may be that the pros have reallocated, but retail investors, like our BH friends, might get sucker punched when/if hospitals overflow thus creating another leg down. I'm 45% cash and wish it was higher and waiting for another gut punch in April or so. Good luck, rm

Good points all!

After Weds and Thurs buying spree I am at 34% cash, no bonds (sort of) and the rest stocks. Noticed something interesting while checking my portfolio with M* X-ray. It showed 8% bonds. Turns out there is a high percentage of bonds in my MMF (DTAXX and PRXXX). I guess that should have been obvious.

My perception has always been that my portfolio is less risky than it appears on paper due to no debt, no obligations, employment picture and pensions. When I factor in all of that, I am comfortable at this equity level and prepared to buy more if we get more weakness.

Regarding April, maybe this week was the first bottom in the "W"? We shall see. I am not prepared to give up on consumerism or capitalism in general. In it for the long haul.

Thanks and good luck to you, my friend!

A little something for the educators (and everyone else) , who might need a lift right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZIx55cFf-o

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added one share each to recently started positions in YORW and SJW.  Dividend payouts may be more secure than electric and gas utility dividends.  Some talk as to creating payment holidays for some utility companies that are heavily reliant on monthly receipts to meet dividend payers.  I like how on the rebound days CWT makes some outsized gains.  I too am starting to get down to my first cash buckets which I intend to preserve as much of as possible. But with some income flows from dividends I can likely still keep picking up single shares here and there.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Interesting point on the utilities. Thank you for that. I was considering more shares of EXC will price that in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I sold a little around the edges on 'watermark' positions it took out earlier. They served to give me a baseline for future purchases, plus I made a few dollars. I'm expecting to begin putting on scuba gear in 10-14 days. I recommend reading posts by @CherylBoca . IMO,  she is one smart lady. Be safe.

Edit to add - Did some tax loss harvesting on VPCCX (I made good money trading it and never thought I'd sell) sitting on 50% cash. OK, I am now holding tightly to my suspenders. Good luck to us all.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bought 200 of YUMC @ 39.55. Why? Throughout all this and despite being a Chinese licensee, their price has held up. Up 2.75% right now, in fact. Bought in taxable account for future growth. Dividend @ buy price only 1.21%

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

VWALX sold, went into cash. I've lost confidence in bonds as an investment.  Stocks, I'm holding despite big unrealized losses.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

SBUX 100 @ $60

CMCSA 200 @ $33.50

UTX 100 @ $77.92

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

It's been years since I've owned NLY but I returned to it today.   However ugly C-virus may become, I doubt the most severe economic impact will last long enough to impair the mortgage market.    Probably will be a sharp fall-off in home sales for some weeks, but with the Fed fund rates near zero  and mortgage rates around 3.5 - 4%, there should be plenty of room for NLY to operate.

Colossal 19% yield (for the moment) with ex-d 3/30 .

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Added 400 shares Coca- Cola (KO) today during the selloff, at $39/ share. Brings my total to 1400 shares, and it’s a solid company to hold long term. Pays a good (slowly) rising dividend, and has a very solid “wide moat”. 

Win
Announcements