Tempus does indeed fugit. Time for your March 2020 trade reports. Remember, many lurkers want to know the reasons (thoughts? theory?) for your trades, so please don't omit the "WHY" in B-S-W -- even if it's only because "My wife told me to."
And sincere thanks to those who participate. It's not always easy posting your choices in real time. A hat tip to those who do.
Trimmed VWEAX. Reducing HY FI OEF. Why - to reduce FI risk and free up some cash. I wanted to buy more EDV with today's (IMO) head fake but it's up too, not a good sign. I'm doing more small trading than I prefer but everything is so fluid I see no better option (for me). Good luck.
Edit to add - Selling some POAGX - I think I'll be able to buy it back cheaper.
2nd edit - selling some VFH and APPL. Same reason
3rd AND final edit - sold some PTY for 17.95 I bot Friday for 16.19 - Trading CEFs is my friend, until it isn't.
Put 2% of port into SH (short S&P 500) on the opening pop. Reason: chart bumping up against the downtrend channel border: This reduces net equity to 21.7%.
Yeah, unless we get a good news surprise concerning the virus. Also, central banks + governments worldwide are going to throw the kitchen sink at economic problem. Anything could happen.
Bought a little BA. Value investment. (Hopefully this is BA's equivalent of Amex Salad oil scandal.)
Read in FT that this is not the time to buy the dip.
Added to long term positions in DVA, BMY, and JNJ at the bell. My portfolio has a defensive tilt and I like the health sector at this part of the business cycle. I also added to those positions because I like their valuation relative to the industry which is richly priced in many cases. I also like the specific market each targets.
Not a big move by any means. I was just in the mood to buy something.
I have never seen such sustained Sells on this thread on a big rally day!
Edit: I sold PCI and QLD bought last week. If we were over bought before Feb 19, then the current 10% down from peak for the market is not cheap.
Realized good gains on my hedge in PSQ. I have super high implied volatility on my options positions, which should be ample protection, given my over-allocation in cash. Will miss the size of my usual monthly dividend stream, though. Market may continue to cascade down, but I rather suspect we'll see fewer of the enormous 1000-point sudden plunges. (Just my guess.) Going forward, I think most of the "worst-case" scenarios will no longer be so surprising -- and are now almost anticipated.
Looking down the road this summer, however, if Sanders gets nominated and Trump's economy tanks badly , it's "Katie, bar the door". More wild times to enjoy.
I have been 100% in NHMRX and IOFIX across all accounts. On Thursday I sold 1/3 of NHMRX. On Friday I tried to sell my remaining NHMRX but I exceeded the notify on IB and it was not executed. Today at close I will be 90% + in Cash. I believe today was dead cat bounce. I believe Corona has spread alot more than anyone is acknowledging and it will come to light in many places in the next 1 week. Fed rate cuts will do nothing to cure demand and fed appears to be far behind on market expectations. Ensuing economic impact will be devastating (like China data over the weekend) but temporary until spread slows in summer (assuming it behaves like flu). Junky and unrated stuff held in NHMRX and IOFIX could get pounded which is why I am getting out now. I have done great with them this year - happy to get out and take the gains. Will wait for bear market correction before dipping back into the water with focus on equities as opposed to bond OEF. AKRIX/EILGX will be targets for new positions as they are by far best risk return equity funds. May consider beaten down PCI/PDI too.
After selling my hedge in PSQ early this morning, I could see the market wasn't about to do a head fake and resume falling. So I added to PKO and bought new positions in AI, CEFZ and HRZN. These four buys do not mean I have confidence in the market; just that I'm trying to take a little of whatever is being offered. Wish I had caught the dip in PCI last week, but I missed it.
I trimmed some PCI I bot last week during the carnage. I was hoping to trim some more equity, and I will if the IMO, "sucker rally,”
continues resumes. If not, I'm OK to hunker down. It may be that a balanced fund is in my future where I can have a pro re-balancing a portion of my port, especially in IRAs. My trading has been successful but I get little joy from it. I'd rather be applying my 'rhythmmethod' in other ways .
Hope you folks appreciate my masterful timing; selling a block of PSQ one day before an 800-point mkt plunge. Not as easy at it looks. Anyway, I tried to exploit today's air pocket to buy a bit of RIV. (Just 1% of PV.) Still over 50% cash..... my only excuse.