cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY, MARCH 2020

bought more NRZ,  pulled trigger way to early, so DCA down.  Does worry me it was down on a day like today, what does somebody know that I don't.  Anyone else follow it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

I don't follow it but Barron's just posted a piece on Mortgage REITS 5 hours ago.  Issues include margin calls, non-agency loans (Fed is supporting agency loans), dividend suspensions, ETN (exchange traded notes) forced selling.  It didn't mention NRZ specifically.  Brad Thomas newsletter started a high income portfolio in Feb that included NRZ - said it was for a diversified portfolio only, meaning risky.  So, I don't know of any issues specific to NRZ.  It's up after hours.  M* had a recent article on MREITS too.  

Highlighted
Explorer ○

50% of NRZ portfolio is MSR's - interest rate risk hedge - that don't do well with dropping rates.  2 other companies in the same boat are COOP and OCN.  Both similarly down.  

Google, "mortgage servicing rights interest rate risk".  Certainly beyond my ken.  I'm only replying because I was curious and started Googling.   I still don't fully understand the ins and outs.

Highlighted
Follower ○○

thanks for feedback, I listened to a call last week from NRZ, they of coarse paint a positive picture, no mention of low rate negative effects.  I also thought maybe funds were dumping due to price under $5.   Time will tell. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Yesterday I added to VWALX and VWIUX Vanguards tax exempt funds. I just topped them off with what I had lost from the top.

The yield has jumped to 2.62% and 1.73% respectively.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold about 2/3s of recent TVC purchase at $25.08.

ST gain is more than the interest I'd receive in the coming year. 

EDITED to Add: It's all gone now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Added to PTY & PKO, hopefully for a long term hold..     Bought new position in PGP, intended as a trading vehicle.  Has very good chart behavior for technical speculation.  Never in the last five years has it been near par.    Now we see if the current distribution levels will hold. But even with a cut, believe Pimco CEFs are worth owning.  WuhanV is far from solved but -- even with more dips ahead -- possibly the worst of the panic (that is to say, MY panic) is perhaps  behind us.

PS.  Neglected to mention I added to NLY yesterday, and following his post, I bought a new position in VTR.     (Thanks, erryl.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold all but the smallest foothold in UTX.  20+% return in two days. I’m making a bet I’ll repurchase it or something else later at a better price point. Interesting to see my recent purchases of O, OHI,  FPF and some Pimco CEFs bounce back. I expect to be playing ping pong with this market for a while. Be careful and safe.

Edit to add - I sold all my OHI in non-sheltered account for a small loss. Thanks (I think;)) to @BruceM for the heads up on potential dividend cut. I only want best of breed at this point. Will reevaluate O as I go. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Sold a bit of DGRO today, which went green. I believe we have not seen the last of down markets and think we have not touched bottom. I hope I am wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Now is the time to be careful! A sucker's rally? FOMO? Or even an unwillingness to buy into strength based on the aforementioned concerns? S&P still down over 23% and DJIA down 26%, so not too worried long term.

I have been buying wide moat dividend aristocrats for the long haul. Some speculative issues at fire sale prices too. So, not worried about recent purchases at all. Have my new buy list together, issues that have not yet exceeded their 5-star price points or might drop below it. Mindful that M* may be re-rating many issues, so using this only as a relative measure, not gospel.

Currently have limit orders for : D, YUM, CMCSA, WELL, EXC, SYY, CAH, GSK and CSCO. Now at 32% cash. Not planning to chase prices upwards at this point in time. Maybe in a few weeks.

Won't even consider bond oefs for cash, until I have more clarity on that opaque can of worms. Though I have noticed that PIGIX, BAGIX and VCORX are showing good 1-week strength, I am guessing based on FED support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Bought NRGX and FEI. Oil will eventually go up. In the meantime, I'll take the distributions.

Gene

0 Kudos
Explorer ○○

Had bought (CBRL) Cracker Barrel for $58 on the dip a few weeks ago in Roth. Since CBRL is going to pull their dividend; sold today for $91.24 and hold the cash. I did not want to wait and see.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

A post for my lunch buddy, richardsok :-)

Recently started accumulating HPS...John Hancock Preferred Stock Series III Fund.

Note at this time, preferred share dividends are not restricted from being paid, per new fed support bill.  Preferred's also up the chain in priority paying.  Great yields available.

HPS zooming up...holding on for the ride.

R48

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Reti59 wrote:

Had bought (CBRL) Cracker Barrel for $58 on the dip a few weeks ago in Roth. Since CBRL is going to pull their dividend; sold today for $91.24 and hold the cash. I did not want to wait and see.

Good reflexes. Nice move.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@retiredat48 wrote:

A post for my lunch buddy, richardsok :-)

Recently started accumulating HPS...John Hancock Preferred Stock Series III Fund.

Note at this time, preferred share dividends are not restricted from being paid, per new fed support bill.  Preferred's also up the chain in priority paying.  Great yields available.

HPS zooming up...holding on for the ride.

R48

Interesting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

While waiting for CherylBoca's move, I would like to read her autobiography.   I do not think I have ever met another person with her level of mental fortitude / discipline.  

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Made $11 on VTI doing a 10 day trade. Have to do something to while away the time. My logic was if it stayed low I will own it for the long term anyway. I wouldn't do it on something I don't want to own. My feelings are we are headed back down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Just after the open, dumped the VTR mentioned by erryl the other day for a nice two thou round trip.    Then moved the funds over to follow R48 into HPS for my Roth when I saw its morning dip.   (thanks, R). There may be a real silver lining to our WuhanC market debacle --  folks with cash can still pick up some great yielding assets now for long term streams of income.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@richardsok wrote:

Just after the open, dumped the VTR mentioned by erryl the other day for a nice two thou round trip.    Then moved the funds over to follow R48 into HPS for my Roth when I saw its morning dip.   (thanks, R). There may be a real silver lining to our WuhanC market debacle --  folks with cash can still pick up some great yielding assets now for long term streams of income.

Seeking alpha has article of carnage in CEFs...concluding this, (thanks  poster Beliavsky):

The most opportunity is in the sectors where the NAV declines have more to do with volatility and liquidity than with an actual increase in credit risk. The two most dislocated sectors are municipals and preferreds. 

---------------------------

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

My USMV went slightly green yesterday, so I sold some, waiting  for future low to buy back it. I rather hope new low does not happen, but in case it does, have some cash.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.