Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY June 2020

Sold 850 shares of SWBI - Smith & Wessen (American Outdoors) at $16.25
(edit: $16.26 got a price improvement)
It will probably will go higher but I am not going to get greedy.
It's had a great run.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Placed orders to buy small amounts of FSMEX (HC-Med. Equip.) and VGWAX (Global Wellington) on mild weakness today in these sectors.

With elevated levels of volatility, I think I’ll be making more frequent, smaller buys than before. Nobody knows whether the Dow will rise or fall 1,000 points tomorrow. Small, frequent buys on relative weakness seems like a gentle way of easing a few dollars into my portfolio.

Edit: Dow futures up 176.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Today I sold my two remaining senior loan CEFs, BGB and BGX, which I should have sold earlier this year but ended up following down.  After they came up from the March lows and did yet another yield cut, I sold out today.  

Put the funds to work by buying some PKO.  Now almost 40% of my CEF holdings are in PIMCO taxables, primarily PCI but also some PFN.  The PIMCO team seems to be able to navigate the dangerous bond waters, though they did suffer a major drop in March.  Several of their taxables are developing significant premiums, but they seem merit that position.  The three -- PCI, PFN, PKO -- have just under 10% premiums, the lowest of the lot. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Sold 100sh  GIS for tiny gain after 3 years. With kids at home, they must have sold a lot of cereal during this lockdown, as the price has recovered. Need to minimize individual stocks. .Put proceeds into FCNTX (contra) an FSPHX (health care).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Added to SPXU. As hedge.

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Doing some indiscriminate buying today. Orders placed to add to existing positions in:

- VGWAX Global Wellington

- VWILX Intl Growth

- VIMAX Midcap index

- MATFX Matthews Asia Tech

- VPMAX Primecap

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Since I received the "all clear to buy" order sometimes known as "hop aboard".  I did:

TRBCX - TRP BC Growth

VIGI - Vanguard Int Div Growth

PCI - (at discount)  order didn't fill. I'll try later.

VWELX  - Wellington

MATFX -  Matthews Asia Tech

VGHCX - Vanguard HC

PFN ( limit order in at discount)

Edit to add @richardsok - I know things got a bit stressed with M*. I hope you will continue to post as I enjoy your thoughts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I like Vanguard International Growth and am wanting to buy ($50k) but do you think its run up too much? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@treesdale wrote:

I like Vanguard International Growth and am wanting to buy ($50k) but do you think its run up too much? 

I don't think anyone can answer that correctly as there are too many variables. Maybe start with an ETF version and convert in the future if you have good reason to?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

My biweekly autodeposit went in this week (to a diversified TDF, Fidelity Puritan, and a few other funds), but I also bought additional shares of IJS (small cap value), VEMAX (emerging markets index), Vanguard International Core Stock, and Vanguard Midcap Value because I have some extra discretionary $ not being spent due to lowered expenses (as almost everything is shut!).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Picked up more shares of UTG and first shares of MDU and NWE. All for income side.

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

DCAing the significant dip(s) - bought shares in VTI at 153.40 and VIG at 116.30.

edit: The DCAing continues - bought more shares of VTI at 153.00.  All of the purchases were limit orders that hit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Bought some VFIAX (SP500 Index) today. Will keep buying more everyday if it continues to fall, or until I run out of cash.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

On the fizzle-out of today’s bounce, I placed a few orders to round out yesterday’s buys:

- VGHAX (VG Healthcare)

- VWILX (VG Intl Growth)

Edit: the fizzle-out got some fizz at the close, so I paid a little more than I would have on Friday. C’est la vie. Let’s see what next week brings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

I swapped a fairly large position in VFIDX today for VBILX.  I liked VFIDX’s relatively short duration, and it’s higher overall credit profile (A vs. BBB).  This morning I received a notification from Vanguard, saying that the fund can now hold more than 30% in BBB and lower rated debt - how much more than that they didn’t say.  This new mandate apparently went into effect last month, and M* has already reduced VFIDX’s credit profile from A to BBB.  This is a “ballast” holding for me, and as I already have significant corporate exposure elsewhere (Wellington and Wellesley), this was an easy decision for me.  The same mandate change applies to the short term investment grade fund.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Just noticed that a "lowball" order to add XBI at $99 got filled on Friday.

Aha, I just figured out how to get the TDA mobile app to send me a notification when an order fills. No more surprises now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Added to some JABAX looking for stability later in the year or early 2021.  Moving more to balanced funds 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Transferring some VDIGX to VWELX in 2 IRA accounts. Why - stuff's gone crazy and balanced funds might make more sense out of this than me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

First purchases in a while, put a little money into American Funds Capital Income Builder (CIBFX) and Franklin Utilities (FKUQX).  No strong conviction either way as to what the market will do, but I just felt like doing something, so I figured I would put a bit of money into two investments that were bringing up the rear of my portfolio, as far as amounts invested. And it looks like a down day for the market, so that should give me a little better price.

I am putting some money into Fidelity Conservative Income bond fund (FCONX), but not very much, just a few dollars from time to time, not really significant enough to warrant mention every time I throw a little bit of money at it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Transferring some VDIGX to VWELX in 2 IRA accounts. Why - stuff's gone crazy and balanced funds might make more sense out of this than me. 

How different are the stock portfolios of these two funds? Both Wellington-advised LCB* equity portfolios with an emphasis on dividends, quality, etc. (*under the new managers) so I’m guessing ... they’re pretty similar? Would be interesting to see an overlap analysis once the 6/30 holdings are published.

Are you basically doing a little profit taking or rebalancing? Nothing wrong with that, by the way, although personally I’m letting everything ride. *Not* buying more is the closest I can bring myself to selling.

0 Kudos
Announcements