Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUY-SELL-WHY June 2020

Open a position in FIVFX, add to FTEC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Bought some SPXU as hedge to all this recent upside.

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Added to SDSCX last night.

Now fully, invested.

Still down for the year 2020.

Trying to get back to even!

Regards, Ron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Many of us sold some securities that were not performing well in the "UP" market yesterday. Some securities in our portfolio will always perform differently in up/down markets and the proper balance needs to be achieved through CapGain selling [IMHO]. We will add additional shares to our other securities in our portfolio if/when the opportunity presents itself....

Keeping in mind that the market is very high P/E wise [and will probably go higher after todays news boost on the improving economy announcement] we should exercise some caution....

Many of us use dividends, distributions, and CapGains to achieve our goals and objectives each year. A "balanced" approach to a difficult market. Buy/Hold is no longer a option in down markets. ...

Many of us remain fully invested [and had started putting money to work and getting back into the market right after the 3/23 low happened]....

Disclosure: 2020 goals and objectives have been met for the current year....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold another moderate slice of VMNVX, this time to mmkt.  Purchased a smaller slice for current holdings in VBILX.  The intention is to reduce equities from 35% to 30% over time, as well as rotating away from factor and black box investing. All in T-IRAs.

Best to all.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Covered short in MCHI - China for a 7% loss. 
I expected Trump to really crack down on China last week but he came up lame. 

Selling some POAGX I picked up in March for a 39%+ gain. 
The airlines and cruise stocks have been on a tear so I am locking in some gains here.
This fund should be up nicely today.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Trimming CEFs PCI, PFN, bot at discount several weeks ago. I'll let them ride as a small amount of income spice. If they (or others I'm interested in) fall to discount, I'll re-purchase. Putting proceeds in VWELX. Balanced funds are making more and more sense to me in a market I've given up trying to any sense out of. On that topic - WFC - up 30% (!!) since my purchase (reported here), a few weeks ago. I'm gonna let that and JPM (up almost as much) ride. It does give some credence to my bone-headed strategy of buying stuff I'd like to own when they are like the ugly potential hook-up at a bar near closing time. Not that I would have or will ever do that. Also a few days ago opened a small position in VIGI, as well as BSV. All-in-all really boring stuff. Stay well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Adding a little to Pimco Income (PIPNX) at the close today as I was slightly underweight to my desired AA.  Seems like a good day to buy interest rate sensitive bond OEFs today with the 10 year going up.  FD claims this fund is not safe.  I have different conclusion.  It is one of my 3 most confident bond OEFs.  It does not have a aggressive strategy like other Pimco bond OEFs like Pimco Diversified Income that I recently sold my remaining toe hold because of its aggression/volatility during Corona chaos.  It has a defensive mindset with primary goal of consistent dividend stream which is important to me.  Yes it did take a hit during the chaos but is rebounding (consistent with Pimco's bend but not break asset investing strategy).  The fund accepts short term volatility in exchange for long term resiliency in its primary pursuit of income and secondary pursuit of long term capital preservation.  If this is not your cup of tea, stay away.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold off VYM today. Looking at another ETF to pick up later on a down market day, perhaps next week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Sell - CLNY
tax losses, dog of a stock.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FatKat wrote:

Sold off VYM today. Looking at another ETF to pick up later on a down market day, perhaps next week.

@FatKat I sold off VYM in my mother’s IRA last month. Unfortunately far too late to avoid some significant carnage. But it seemed to me that investors fled pure HY/dividend plays like VYM, in the face of certain, widespread dividend cuts — and with uncertainty surrounding dividends likely to linger for some time, I concluded that VYM was not a good candidate for a sharp bounce-back.

With no better ideas, I actually replaced it with FXAIX (in a Fido account).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@changThat was what I was considering! Think that one better than quality tilt (JENSX), or growth(TRBCX)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Sold 1/3 position in NRO for CG=19 months distributions

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Can you elaborate why - just rebalancing? I have position in it and it came up nicely 18% in few months... Stock charts shows still going up towards 200DMA.

TIA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi Vagabond,

I am retired and add cash to account to be able to repurchase positions at lower prices. I try to take advantage of market volatility. My account is now 20% cash. I'm also slowly adding to SPXU as a hedge to what I consider an overvalued market.

Gene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

thanks for the explanation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Can not find anything to buy. Bought more shares of my holding fund Fadmx until I can see some good stock prices.

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FatKat wrote:

@changThat was what I was considering! Think that one better than quality tilt (JENSX), or growth(TRBCX)?

Both excellent funds imo. Never mind JENSX’s 3* rating, it lags all the FAANGy funds in the LCG category where M* puts it. It’s really a LCB quality fund, and it has beat the S&P500.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@chang  Been meaning to post this for a while.  Thanks for posting your recent portfolio realignments, it has been most interesting to see what you are doing with your rebalancing, and the thought process behind it.  Nice of you to share. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 wrote:

@chang  Been meaning to post this for a while.  Thanks for posting your recent portfolio realignments, it has been most interesting to see what you are doing with your rebalancing, and the thought process behind it.  Nice of you to share. 

@mlott1 Many thanks. I have basically:

• jettisoned LT under-performers and funds with a permanent cash stake (which usually turn out to be under-performers)
  • reduced # of holdings by eliminating small, non-strategic positions and duplicate exposures
  • shifted a little more to growth
  • opened large positions in funds I have LT confidence in
  • emphasized simple, low-cost bond indexes as "ballast" in the 60/40
  • shifted foreign exposure out of tax-deferred accts and into taxable accts where I can claim foreign taxes withheld
  • reduced expenses.

Best of luck to you with your back ... I've had my issues, like many people, and realize that there are usually many options between "do nothing and learn to manage the pain" and the most extensive and invasive surgical options. It can be complicated to choose the right path; sometimes trial and error is the only way.

Announcements